Sign in with
Your question

Can't open ANY pictures

Last response: in Windows 7
November 1, 2012 1:32:50 PM

I've got an odd problem on my windows 7 desktop.

I noticed 2 days ago that the profile picture on the login screen was missing, I honestly didn't think much of it.

Last night I went to open a jpg that was on my desktop and received an error that stated:

"windows photo viewer can't open this picture because the file appears to be damaged or corrupted or too large"

I checked a few other pictures with various extensions (bmps,pngs) and they ALL give me the same error.

I tried opening the pictures with gimp and paint, no good. I even sent a jpg to my gmail to test if it was some really odd and random issue with my system. Gmail just gives me a red x when I go to view the attached picture.

I find it very hard to beleive that every single picture on my system has magically been corrupted over night.

I've tried researching this issue on my own and to be honest, I'm just not really getting anywhere.

The system seems to be stable otherwise.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

More about : open pictures

November 1, 2012 2:09:08 PM

Have you scanned the PC for a Virus Infection ?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2012 2:09:13 PM

how big are these images (right click on image and select properties)?
m
l
Related resources
November 1, 2012 2:19:38 PM

I havn't yet scanned it for an infection, though I'm not having trouble opening any other file type and I am not getting a broken file association error, so a virus didn't seem like the cause of the issue. THough when I get home, I will scan the system.

Als the files vary by size, some are tiny, 60kbs, others are around 1mb. These photos all worked as of last week also, these aren't *new* pictures.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2012 2:26:51 PM

click start type cmd (in win 7 a list will appear right click on command prompt and select "run as administrator") then rund sfc /scannow

m
l
November 1, 2012 2:56:13 PM

Will do as soon as I get home, I didn't even think about running sfc.
m
l
November 2, 2012 12:16:31 AM

Well I ran malwarebytes and it actually found quite a few trojans and exploits, removed and still no go on the image files.

I also ran the SFC and no joy on the image files still.

I *can* save a new image and it displays properly.

But the rest of my images still remain in the same state.
m
l
November 2, 2012 10:01:06 AM

Move the images to another machine and see if they open. If they do, then you know your machine has a problem. If they don't then the images are most likely corrupted, in which case there might not be a way to retrieve the info in them.
m
l
!