Modern audio sets cassette low frequency response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry T

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Hello,I have noticed that practically all of the modern home audio systems remaining with a cassette mechanism,don't go over 8.000 kHz in FR. Why? Is it that no one can hear sounds over that limit actually? So it no point in going over that limit?
Or there is a better reason for this peculiarity?
Henry

fatterpat1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Cassette audio has a very low dynamic range that's why. It always has you just notice it more now because we have all gotten used to the higher dynamic ranges of cd dvd etc..
Remeber when you first started listening to cd's and you were saying wow did you here that I never heard that before in this song.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009

low dynamic range is due to teh bandwidth, even if an equipment is 100 years old, if it has large bandwidth then dynamic range is not a problem.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

You are correct but I don't think that any media a 100 years old had high bandwdith, just not available back then. That said, cassettes bandwdith even in the 70s were less than albums and much less than cds in the 80s and dvds in the 90s. Plus cassettes wear out with every playback. JMHO and I have owned multiple cassette decks including a mid to high end AIWA. JMHO
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.