Sign in with
Your question

Is it good buying a refurb monitor?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 17, 2010 7:01:24 PM

i found my dream monitor as a refurb online and it's just a bit under 250 with shipping. Has anyone had the guts to buy a refurb and having it work out just fine? here is the email i got back from the place....

"All of our products are factory refurbished and come with a 60-day hardware and 30-day satisfaction guarantee. We only purchase the highest grade refurbished items and therefore there cannot be more than 4 dead pixels in the whole screen and no bleeding or scratches in the screen glass. However, there could be light wear in the bezel from use. The HP 2509 that you are interested in is an "A" grade refurbished item with the original panel. Please rest assured that you will be purchasing a quality product, and we guarantee you will like it."
"Rarely do we sell an item with any dead pixels, but I can't tell you for certain."

the monitor is the HP 2509M. i looked at some top rated lcds at costco and hated them. they look too frosty compared to the hp which was right next to the others. my take on it. i love the whole window like view without that matte look.
a b α HP
a c 195 C Monitor
May 19, 2010 7:52:03 AM

I would only buy a refurbed monitor if there was substantial savings and had at least a 1 year warranty.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b C Monitor
May 19, 2010 8:10:18 AM

There have been a lot of reports of power supply failures in monitors due to substandard components being used. Once the faulty components have been replaced there is no reason to be wary -- in fact it could be a reassurance that the rest of the system (the illumination especially) has not had much use.
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 19, 2010 12:31:49 PM

I have only bought a refurbished monitor once and that is my current one.

30" of LG W3000H IPS. It works absolutely fine. The savings were considerable. 33% discount.
m
l
!