Sign in with
Your question

Visit this! Poll: Which CPUs should THG review?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 7, 2003 2:20:20 AM

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Visit this! Poll: Which CPUs would you like to see reviewed at THG?</A>

Just so people know what's going on down on the polls section. It's relevant for CPUs, so I thought I'd try to get some attention... :smile:
July 7, 2003 3:49:37 AM

I voted do I win a new AMD A64 Cpu? No oh well I'm better off with P4. At least we know whats do out an when.
July 7, 2003 8:33:03 AM

i have heard that prescott have some nifty new features to review at, or do you think we should make some comparison between the athlon 64 and prescott.
Related resources
July 7, 2003 4:22:32 PM

1)
bump... just doing my bit...

2)
<b>'Scotty'</b> hehe... I like that one.... :smile:

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.
July 7, 2003 5:06:03 PM

Yeah! Where's the UltraSPARC reviews?

My job is done here.

July 8, 2003 12:39:30 AM

Dwellman, you oldie!

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=red><b>Join the Tom's Hardware Guide Community Photo album, send us your pics!</font color=red></b></A>
July 8, 2003 2:27:43 AM

1) *buuuuuummmmmmmm<b>P</b>!*
2) Ow, I could have placed UltraSparc with the options as well... stupid.
3) 'Beam me up, Scotty!' I like Scotty too...
July 8, 2003 1:01:28 PM

Quote:
Ow, I could have placed UltraSparc with the options as well... stupid

Not stupid.

I think this option: <i>THG should try to be as open as possible and review both IA-64 and Apple solutions, as well as <b>other options</b> that present themselves.</i> about covers it.

At this moment I feel inspired to begin a new poll. Something like:

I have not heard of Sun Microsystems
I have heard of Sun Microsystems
I work at Sun Microsystems
I am Scott McNealy

Maybe I can be THG's resident Sun fanboy?

July 8, 2003 1:59:24 PM

They seem pretty harmless. Why not.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=red><b>Join the Tom's Hardware Guide Community Photo album, send us your pics!</font color=red></b></A>
July 8, 2003 11:25:09 PM

thats a good idea, i only know of them and what they do, but thats about it, so i chose i know of them...

eather way, im just here to *bump* this post back up, and now yours too of course.

:) 

ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro(Sapphire) - WD 80G HD (8M Buffer) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW - Iomega Zip 250 int.
July 9, 2003 2:52:29 AM

Hm... I do hope we get heard here...
Oh, and as for CPU reviews, at least we'll be seeing on THG (hopefully) what a Xeon with 1MB L2 Cache can do for servers/workstations! :smile:
July 9, 2003 2:53:57 AM

How much does that Xeon with 1MB L2 Cache set you back?
July 9, 2003 2:58:44 AM

Set me back?... It doesn't. I have nothing to do with it. I was just curious (and desperately needed a reason to post, because that would mean... *bump*) Oops, I did it again... silly me. I think I won't write in this post anymore, I'm feeling so stupid that I'm actually managing to annoy myself with my behaviour. (that happens sometimes... but the doctors say I'm safe from permanent madness.)
July 9, 2003 3:02:01 AM

Are they {doctors} sure you are not permanently nuts!!!!
July 9, 2003 2:40:30 PM

Oh, well, you know, medicine is statistical, and not based on certainty... :eek: 

I think I'm safe for now. :wink:
July 9, 2003 3:25:03 PM

Speaking of doctors, insanity, and such ... has anyone watched <i>They</i> yet? (I think that was the name of the movie anyway.) If so, what were your thoughts on it?

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
July 10, 2003 3:10:34 AM

Kool never thought you where nuts. Just shows you can't trust doctors.
July 10, 2003 3:39:51 AM

Sorry, slvr, haven't seen that... Down here we get movies considerably later than in the US. "Hulk" has just made its debut...

Anyway, so you work with x-ray diffraction crystallography? To determine crystal structures? Interesting stuff. I know a bunch of people who work with that... But I myself don't actually know that much about it. :frown:

As for 3d rendering... I've tried a friend's 3dsmax 3 and it quite simply rocks. It's an astonishing piece of software! I was wondering if there was an educational version... A cheaper one... (would you happen to know anything about that, BTW?) And as for open-source renderers, I've tried POV-Ray lately... I prefer 3dsmax, of course, but POV-Ray has one or two nifty features. Plus, it's open code! You can have a bit of extra control... However, the POV-Ray I am running here isn't multithreaded at all... Renders very slowly, if compared to 3dsmax, all around. Do you know of any other free/open source renderers?

POV-Ray can also be used for benchmarking. And it being open source means it can even benchmark other systems, if appropriate compilers exist. Aceshardware, for instance, shows that a 1.8Ghz Opteron renders just a tad bit faster than 1 Xeon 2.8Ghz, and <i>a 1.0Ghz Itanium is more than three times faster than the Opteron</i>, which makes a $700 Deerfield look a little more attractive. The POV-Ray code was simply recompiled for IA-64 using Intel C++ 7.0, if I understood correctly... It would be interesting to get confirmation on this, because it looks a little too incredible...
July 10, 2003 11:15:21 PM

while i was working at www.inform-media.com the team there was trying to set up a 3D animation seriers and computer game. They spent a fair amount of time researching free rendering tools. and such. they found one that they realy seemed to like...If i can find it for you i'll give you the link.

it was used to create a few games. including some games for X box or PS2.

perhaps if you contacted them, ask for Jeff or possibly Jay if he is there, they would both gladly help you.

ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro(Sapphire) - WD 80G HD (8M Buffer) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW - Iomega Zip 250 int.
July 11, 2003 1:35:20 AM

3dS Max is one of them programs I simply have to download. Piracy, I know, but the price is way exaggerated. Dunno about student prices but if they're not below 100$, forget it.

--
July 11, 2003 3:18:58 AM

3DSMAX is the most loveable piece of software I've ever come across. It's gorgeous. It's larger than life. Lovely. Its scripting language is intuitive, simple, yet fully functional. Its interface is functional as hell. Its renderizer is fully HT- and SMP-optimized. Oh boy.

One of my colleagues here mentioned getting an educational version because of its usefulness. I mean, I work with molecular dynamics, but molecular dynamics trajectory files can be imported so easily in 3dsmax with scripts and you can then make your simulation look so straightforward that even a monkey would understand what you were doing. And you can use 3dsmax for anything presentation-related. For fun, I used an AutoCad file from a laboratory (Auger-project related) and created a full 3d model of the lab in 3dsmax. I got such a lovely result... Many people are interested around here. Very useful for divulging scientific news without getting boring! Incredible.

Of course, you'd still need at least an educational license for that... :frown:

Oh, if someone could tell me how much the educational license costs! <b>ANYONE OUT THERE KNOWS THAT????</b> :frown:
July 12, 2003 6:40:49 PM

Thats a good Question...I'll ask around.

what Version is it at now anyhow?

July 12, 2003 6:54:05 PM

I bothered to go check now on Discreet, and found a reseller for student pricing, here:
<A HREF="http://www.discreet.com/store/studentstore/" target="_new">http://www.discreet.com/store/studentstore/&lt;/A>

I have to say, while it is cheaper, it is still beyond my personal budget. Once again more reasons to get it as a download. I expected something around 100$ or less, but nah.

--
July 15, 2003 3:50:39 AM

well sadly i haven't got the chance to talk with those who know what i am looking for, so i tryed to take a look for it my slef and came across <A HREF="http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com/gamelib.html" target="_new">this</A> page

these seem fairly old, but if this is trhe direction you were looking in i'll continue to try and find that program/language/engine or what ever it is.

July 15, 2003 3:12:45 PM

Thanks for that link, Eden. I checked it out; apparently, a full student-priced version costs around $475 or so... in the US. But I'm not in the US, so this makes things a little harder... :frown:

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles
July 15, 2003 3:14:55 PM

Thanks, cdpage, for that link. I'll check it out in detail.

July 15, 2003 4:00:22 PM

Hmm, do they ship to somewhere in the Americas? Perhaps they do.

EDIT: Upon inspecting the first box-link site, I've found they do ship outside the USA, to pretty much anywhere. They mention European, Mexican, Canadian, etc.
--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=purple><b>The official Tom's Hardware Guide Forums Photo Album, click here to contribute!</font color=purple></b></A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 07/15/03 12:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 15, 2003 4:23:53 PM

Yes! :smile: Thanks a lot for that one. I'll check it out. If they do ship to the Americas, that will be of great help!

July 29, 2003 3:38:46 AM

hey Mephistopheles, i talked to my friend...took me a bit to find where this post was :p 

he tells me that they have used Multigen in the past...

but the engine that i had thought about was called Nebula Device and there is a game called nomads that uses that engine, if you'd like to take a look.

it is developed by <A HREF="http://www.radonlabs.de/" target="_new">radonlabs</A>

you can take a look at the game <A HREF="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www...(que)id=17538" target="_new">here</A>

hope this helps

eather way, let me know if this what you were looking for or not.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cdpage on 07/29/03 07:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 30, 2003 4:45:02 AM

Hows the search going there Mephistopheles?

Any luck?

July 30, 2003 6:49:00 AM

The CPU reviews in the current form are great! What you really need to add is Price/Performance tables. Please, please, please do price/performance comparissions in your tests.

THG should also focus more on cooling solutions for processors and giving more tips on how to achieve a stabel but SILENT solution. The standard cpu fans today sound like road construction drills and if you play music on your computer you have to turn up the volume really high to be able to hear the low frequent parts. Consumers of today need help on selecting parts to construct silent systems for bareable working conditions in healthy working enviroments.

back to the subject:
At first the idea of THG reviewing Apple processors seemed a bit repulsive to me, when I read the poll. In my opinion Apple and it's users is more like a religious sect than a computer company and consumer group. However, thinking more about it, multitude is a good thing and competition benefits everyone.

I still think THG should focus MOSTLY on solutions that gives the users the most flexibility (as oppossed to pre-assembeled computers i.e. macs), but it would be interresting to see how these systems perform against Intel and Amd systems. If you do Aplle - Intel/Amd comparission i think the price/performance thing will be an even more important part of your tests. G5 might or might not be the fastest, but I'd bet my left hand that a performace value comparission will make the G5 look like a rip off.

I don't frequently post on the forum but I'd really appreciate an answer on the price thingy, if its not to much trouble.

Cheers!
July 30, 2003 12:23:46 PM

Sorry for not answering earlier, cdpage... It's just that I've been doing lots of work lately, and haven't had much free time... But I took a look on those links, and there's certainly interesting stuff there...

But I'll only really have time to look at it on the weekend, I'm afraid... Thanks a lot.

August 27, 2003 5:27:13 PM

Im not one to go digging this far back or anything but i thought that alot might have been covered here already.

<A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/32498.html" target="_new">www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/32498.html&lt;/A>

looks like there are benchmarks finally coming out now that the G5's are available now.

Once again. I say that TOM's here should try and do a review on the G5 and compare it.

Again please if you have not visited the POLL (link at the top) please do so if you would like to see a non bias review of the G5 system(s)

!