Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 BSOD

Last response: in Windows 7
November 1, 2012 2:51:59 PM

Hello Tom's Hardware,

So like the thread says, I am having a BSOD problem on my dad's computer, after replaceing every piece of hardware other than the CD/DVD from DDR2 to DDR3, and yes I did do compatibility checks and all that replaced the parts 30 days ago. The BSOD comes up with STOP 0x000000A which I found is to be a driver problem. But I am not able to log in to the system/Safe Mode and update the drivers and what not, as it would just BSOD about 20 seconds after "logging in" and occasionally it would have a black screen and automatically restart seconds after turning on the PC. Also when it would BSOD it would freeze up and I would have to restart the computer by turing off the power. So I Slaved my dad's harddrive to mine and coppied all the files that he needs/wants to keep, and when I try to re-install windows 7 booting by the disk (CD/DVD) and reinstalling Windows 7 and halfway through would appear the BSOD STOP 0x000000A about halfway through the re-install, so now I figure it is a hardware problem with the RAM. This computer is not a factory made one but put together by me, and I wasn't able to delete the windows 7 that was already installed. Also there is no reset to factory settings feature. :( 

Need Help plz ><

(Not a factory PC, Custom made only 30 days old)

More about : windows bsod

a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2012 3:07:11 PM

Hi,

From what I understand you:

1- you changed computer hardware - cpu, motherboard, psu, case and hard drive.
2- you kept cd/dvd
3- what do you mean ddr2 to ddr 3 (you changed mobo so you need to change memory ????)

Then when you did all the change you try to boot up in win 7 but you have bsod.

In this case, usually, when you change mobo, you need to reinstall windows unless it's the similar chipset.

Then when you try to reinstall windows you get bsod: probably a problem with memory, hd, psu .

Please can you detail what computer parts you have now:

Motherboard:___________________
CPU:__________________________
Memory:_______________________
Hard Drive:_____________________
PSU:__________________________

In another instance I would download memtest85, burn it to disk and check memory for erros.

Good luck

November 1, 2012 6:01:28 PM

Hello Dextermat,

Yes I did #1 and 2
#3 The old PC was a DDR2 and refitted it to a DDR3

Yes I know that I need to reinstall windows which I did when I put the PC together, it just started getting the BSOD recently like 30 days after use.

Specs:
MotherBoard: Gigabyte H61 Chipset with B3 Stepping
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 LGA1155
Memory: Corsair XMS3 1333 MHz 4GB (2x2GB) 1.50V ver 2.13
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
PSU: Corsair 650watt (was my old PC)
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2012 6:16:50 PM

So this list of components is all new ? Except for the power supply which if you have a chance to check it out that way you can eliminate it as a cause.
Take all of the components out and bread bard the motherboard , cpu , ram ,psu and hard drive. Use one stick of ram in the first slot closest to the cpu and then the other one.
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2012 6:24:09 PM

Ok, so you know the PSU is fine, since it was working fine in for you. I take it you have been in the bios to check all the voltages it is outputting are fine and with in tolerance.
12v rail. 5v rails and 3.3v memory.
It may be a case of the mother board bios not auto config the right memory voltages for the DDR 3 memory. I would take a stick out check its Voltage requirements. put it back in and have a check if the bios has set the voltage right. sometimes in some cases a small voltage bump can get the memory stable. Also have a check on the timing of the memory and make sure the bios has picked it it up and set the values right. If there out, or on not set to what it says on the memory sticker set it manualy in the bios yourself to the right values.
As it can cause BSOD. also.
One more Tip if you have bought standard memory then your fine, some new boards support standard memory and EEC memory.
Server memory extra error checking on the memory stick.
It work both ways if you have standard memory make sure the error correction option is turned off, if it is EEc enabled memory if the option is not turned on or set in the bios you will get BSOD crashes.
Also check in the mother board manual for the list of how the memory should be populated in the memory dimm slots, some boards only like them to be placed in x amount of slots depending on the Cpu used and the amount of sticks your using, wrong config memory population of memory sticks can also cause a BSOD.
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2012 6:29:32 PM

PSU is bad.
November 2, 2012 12:18:53 AM

Yeah, now that the PC is just comming up with a black screen only when turning it on and then auto restart. The PSU is bad, also how many watts are we going to be talking here for a replacement PSU 750?
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2012 2:33:40 AM

I don't think that you have to go higher with the watts and another 650w will be ok.
November 2, 2012 4:02:02 AM

Oh wait sry, I mixed the PSU's the 650 watt is mine ><. The one that my dad is using is a Corsair 430 watt XD I guess a 500 or a 600 watt PSU would suffice?
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2012 4:57:10 AM

Yes , I would go with a 600w to have a little extrta.
November 8, 2012 10:56:13 PM

Hello Community,

Update: I got the 600 watt PSU, but now it is only starting up with a black screen 10 seconds later it automatically restarts with a black screen and repeat. So now I am thinking that it is the Motherboard, as there is no "motherboard" screen that I used to get for the Gigabyte H61.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
November 9, 2012 11:00:05 AM

0x0A = IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Typically indicates either a bad driver or failed RAM.

Download/run memtest86+. I suspect bad RAM in this case, since you wouldn't expect a driver problem during a clean windows install.
November 9, 2012 1:18:24 PM

Yeah, well the only problem is that it won't start up anymore, so I guess I would have to slave the Harddrive to my PC to fix this huh? Besides, I slaved the Hard drive to my Machine, and it works perfectly
November 18, 2012 11:05:56 PM

Best answer selected by inerstrength.
!