Files and Settings Transfer Downgrade

Hi all,

My newer laptop (which was still somewhat old) which could handle Windows XP
had a hardware problem and no longer comes on, but I've taken the hard drive
out and did a Files and settings transfer wizard using the "Other" option to
transfer files to another computer.

Now, I'm trying to downgrade to Windows 2000 Professional, and the Windows
XP Files and Settings Wizard doesn't allow for Win 2k pro to be the "new
computer."

Does anyone know how to make Win2k the "new computer" in files and settings
transfer?

- Jake
1 answer Last reply
More about files settings transfer downgrade

    Jake Wood wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My newer laptop (which was still somewhat old) which could handle
    > Windows XP had a hardware problem and no longer comes on, but I've
    > taken the hard drive out and did a Files and settings transfer wizard
    > using the "Other" option to transfer files to another computer.
    >
    > Now, I'm trying to downgrade to Windows 2000 Professional, and the
    > Windows XP Files and Settings Wizard doesn't allow for Win 2k pro to
    > be the "new computer."
    >
    > Does anyone know how to make Win2k the "new computer" in files and
    > settings transfer?

    Jake

    This is by design. The only supported "destination" is a computer with XP installed.

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/