What protocols do I need for home LAN gaming?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 20, 2004 9:30:04 PM

My son wants to play a game (Warcraft) on our home LAN. We have Windows
XP home and Windows XP Pro (both SP2) connected through a DLink router.

All I see in network properties is TCP/IP on both and nothing more. Do I
need NetBEUI and IPX/SPX for home LAN gaming? If so, can I install them
without screwing everything up? If not, what should I be looking. Have
tried disabling the Windows firewall on both computers. Can't seem to
find what I need when I google.

Ron
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 9:00:06 PM

SHouldn't need NetBEUI or IPX/SPX - haven't seen either of them "required"
since... oh, the original Diablo's the last one I can think of.

"at" <"joiner(at)ns.sympatico.ca"> wrote in message
news:o F69eD1nEHA.1712@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> My son wants to play a game (Warcraft) on our home LAN. We have Windows XP
> home and Windows XP Pro (both SP2) connected through a DLink router.
>
> All I see in network properties is TCP/IP on both and nothing more. Do I
> need NetBEUI and IPX/SPX for home LAN gaming? If so, can I install them
> without screwing everything up? If not, what should I be looking. Have
> tried disabling the Windows firewall on both computers. Can't seem to find
> what I need when I google.
>
> Ron

---