What protocols do I need for home LAN gaming?

My son wants to play a game (Warcraft) on our home LAN. We have Windows
XP home and Windows XP Pro (both SP2) connected through a DLink router.

All I see in network properties is TCP/IP on both and nothing more. Do I
need NetBEUI and IPX/SPX for home LAN gaming? If so, can I install them
without screwing everything up? If not, what should I be looking. Have
tried disabling the Windows firewall on both computers. Can't seem to
find what I need when I google.

Ron
1 answer Last reply
More about what protocols home gaming
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    SHouldn't need NetBEUI or IPX/SPX - haven't seen either of them "required"
    since... oh, the original Diablo's the last one I can think of.

    "at" <"joiner(at)ns.sympatico.ca"> wrote in message
    > My son wants to play a game (Warcraft) on our home LAN. We have Windows XP
    > home and Windows XP Pro (both SP2) connected through a DLink router.
    >
    > All I see in network properties is TCP/IP on both and nothing more. Do I
    > need NetBEUI and IPX/SPX for home LAN gaming? If so, can I install them
    > without screwing everything up? If not, what should I be looking. Have
    > tried disabling the Windows firewall on both computers. Can't seem to find
    > what I need when I google.
    >
    > Ron

    ---

LAN Video Games