Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Restoring a computer to factory settings,

Last response: in Windows 7
November 1, 2012 3:16:40 PM

Hello,

I'm certain that this has been answered before but I am aware that for certain computers it can be quite different.

My question is how do I restore my computer to factory settings? I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H, I've looked all over the manual and still can not figure out exactly how. I always try to access my BIOS but there seems to be no recovery management on it. I have my Win7 reinstallation disc and Gigabyte Drivers installation disc if that helps.

I'll reinstall windows if I have to, but only if it'll reset everything. I have a 60GB Boot Drive and a 1TB hard drive.

If anybody could shed some light on the subject I would greatly appreciate it.

Best solution

November 1, 2012 4:09:07 PM

Not all computers have a "restore factory settings" option. you can certainly format your hardrive and re-install windows. it will definetly "reset" everything to brand new, just keep in mind you will have to re-install your programs and drivers as well.
November 1, 2012 4:18:06 PM

Best answer selected by hellokyle.
m
l
Related resources
November 1, 2012 4:47:52 PM

Ah, I figured that would be the case.

Well, here's my problem then: I have two drives, a 1TB Hard Drive (Disk 0) and a 60GB SSD (Disk 1, I'm assuming). This is a pre-built computer from iBuyPower. They put the OS on the 1tb HHD and from what I can tell, there's nothing on the SSD. I have two partitions on Disk 0, (C: ) and 'System Reserved.'

I really would just like to completely get rid of everything on my computer and start from scratch. And I'm assuming if I format my (C: ) drive my Win7 will be erased and I will have one effed up computer on my hands.

The only thing I can think to fix all of this is if I perform a clean install of Windows. Would this really help or would it screw me up even more? Do I format my (C: ) drive and THEN clean install windows? Believe me, I'm not that computer savy when it comes to hard drives and partitions and things of that nature.

Again, any help is appreciated.
m
l
November 2, 2012 2:43:05 PM

I would format both drives using your windows installation disk. then install Windows 7 on your SSD for a fast boot and quick OS feel. then use your secondary for all data and programs.
m
l
!