Moving HD to a new hardware

Harold

Hi,
I moved (installed) my HD from my "running well" older pc, with xp pro,
programs, documents and so on, to a new one (new cpu, more memory, new video
and sound card, etc). But when I turned on, I got error message OS LOADING
ERROR, or something like that. Then, I tried Norton Recovery System doing a
MBR fix. No more error message, but now a blinking cursor at top left. I
created a Windows XP boot disk to start the computer, but got a missing
hall.dll. Then I tried a windows repair reinstall, it seemed to go ok but
when the instalation process restarts to continue the instalation the pc
hangs. I'm sure there's a way to recover my system before I do a less smart
clean install. What to do now?
Harold.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Harold wrote:

> Hi,
> I moved (installed) my HD from my "running well" older pc, with xp pro,
> programs, documents and so on, to a new one (new cpu, more memory, new video
> and sound card, etc). But when I turned on, I got error message OS LOADING
> ERROR, or something like that. Then, I tried Norton Recovery System doing a
> MBR fix. No more error message, but now a blinking cursor at top left. I
> created a Windows XP boot disk to start the computer, but got a missing
> hall.dll. Then I tried a windows repair reinstall, it seemed to go ok but
> when the instalation process restarts to continue the instalation the pc
> hangs. I'm sure there's a way to recover my system before I do a less smart
> clean install. What to do now?
> Harold.

Ack..not Nortons. That won't fix this. What you should have done,
instead of trying to boot with it, is do a repair install with the XP
CD. You just can't move a hard drive like that in XP. Hopefully doing
a repair install will fix things. Afterwards you'll need to reinstall
the device drivers for the new hardware and go to the windows update
site and reinstall any service packs and updates depending on what
service pack your install CD is.

For future reference:
Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

The mbr repair, which it should not have needed, is clearly a problem prior
to XP even booting. Daresay that the partition is slighly offset due to CHS
perception differences of the moved hard drive on the two PCs. This
squirrels up the filesystem.
Until this is fixed, all the XP suggestions are dust in the wind.