Sign in with
Your question

Please Review New System Specs...

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
July 7, 2003 5:24:20 PM

I'm looking at ordering parts from Newegg to build a new computer in about two weeks time. If you have the time, please review the parts and tell me if anything that I'm looking at is just plain silly. Thanks. :)  (<i>All prices include S&H by the way.</i>)

CyberPower 525VA 6 Outlet UPS = $65
(Reason: Protect system.)

Antec Sonata w/True380 = $120
(Reason: Silencing case with good air flow.)

Antec 120mm Smartfan = $26
(Reason: Need another quiet 120mm fan for case and auto-RPM increase if heat increases sounds helpful.)

Logitech Black Optical Desktop = $31
(Reason: It's a black keyboard and optical mouse.)

Retail Intel P4C 2.6GHz = $220
(Reason: 2.4 verges on 'slow' since this system may go unupgraded for years and 2.8 costs too much.)

Retail Asus P4P800 (i865PE) = $123
(Reason: Fanless northbridge for quiet operation and comes with all of the cables that I'll need since I won't put my DVD on the same channel as my hard drive.)

Corsair Value Select 1GB (512MBx2) = $188
(Reason: I only care about running better than CAS3, so CAS2.5 will be just fine.)

Retail Leadtek Geforce FX5600 8X VIVO = $155
(Reason: It runs as good as a Ti4200 but with DX9 support. It has VIVO which would be fun. It comes packaged with a game that I'll enjoy.)

Samsung SP8004H 80GB 7200RPM IDE, 2MB cache = $75
(Reason: Very silent operation with acceptable performance.)

MSI MS-8216140BL 16x DVD/48xCD Black = $36
(Reason: Very silent operation and black matches case. Can live with less-than-stellar extraction speeds.)

Samsung 1.44MB black floppy drive = $13
(Reason: Still want a floppy drive and need black to match case.)

Altec Lansing 251 5.1 speakers = $78
(Reason: Want 5.1 speakers and these got good reviews.)

NEC FE990-BK 19" Black Flat-Panel CRT Monitor = $245
(Reason: Want a black 19" CRT and this one got good reviews.)

Microsoft XP Pro - OEM FUll Version = $147
(Reason: Need an OS compatible with coding that I do at work. XP Home/98SE won't cut it and only XP supports Intel's HT correctly.)
--------------------
Total = $1522

I'd really like to keep the total cost just at $1500 since I still have to account for tax as well, so please don't suggest a more expensive component unless you can save money somewhere else to accommodate or will donate the extra money to me.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

More about : review system specs

July 7, 2003 6:07:39 PM

Looks good to me what you want it to do. since your going with 80 gig hd. Why not spend the extra $8 buy WD 80 gig 7200 RPM plus 8MB cache. Will 2000 Pro support your coding needs? They just released SP4
Related resources
July 7, 2003 6:33:33 PM

Quote:
Looks good to me what you want it to do.

As a programmer I'd like to say that I'll use it primarily for coding, but as a closet-gamer I have to admit I'd love to play all of those games that I can't run on my current 500MHz Celeron. Besides, I want to be a game programmer eventually too. :)  So I figured that DX9 support should go in. Being on a budget though, it kind of limits my video card choices. I figure that if I upgrade anything in the next year it will probably be my video card.

Quote:
since your going with 80 gig hd. Why not spend the extra $8 buy WD 80 gig 7200 RPM plus 8MB cache.

Mostly because the Samsung drive runs super-silent according to reviews that I've read. The WD800JB is a good performer, but to my knowledge no one has ever recomended one for being silent. It's the same reason that I chose the MSI DVD ROM over a Lite-On DVD ROM. I really want this to be as quiet of a PC as I can manage. :)  I'm tired of hearing whining fans and clunking drives.

I've also had experience with a number of hard drives in the past (both at home and at work) and of them all it has the WDs that have failed the earliest. (And it has been the Maxtors that have most often arrived dead from 'shipping' damage.) A waranty is good at replacing a prematurely failed drive, but you're still stuck without that drive for what feels like forever, and that's just no fun. So based on past experiences I look more at Seagate and Samsung than at Western Digital or Maxtor just out of habit. Seagate and Samsung both impress on me that they work on engineering subtle (but impressive) changes to minor aspects of their hard drives that other companies don't often concern themselves over. Quality engineering from the ground up makes a product more reliable. :) 

Quote:
Will 2000 Pro support your coding needs? They just released SP4

Meet my coding needs, yes. (It's primarily what I use at work.) Meet my CPU's needs, no. Unless SP4 contains HyperThreading support (which I didn't see amongst it's list of fixes when I did a quick search) I need a form of XP. As much as I detest XP I'm still pretty much stuck with it. Thanks for the info about SP4 though. :)  Somehow I hadn't gotten word of that yet.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
July 7, 2003 6:34:41 PM

Every thing is ok except the graphic card.Why you are not buying ATI?You can get a Radeon 9600 pro for the same price.But if u want VIVO no way .Or can u afford AIW 9800?Then the system will also get some boost in functionality.

Enthusiast
July 7, 2003 6:45:50 PM

Quote:
Seems fine except that 5600. I bet my old 1700xp and 9700pro combo would out perform that nice intel cpu and 5600....

For games, sure. However games aren't the only things that I run. I do write analytical scientific software and that takes some major CPU and RAM to crunch through well. I also dabble in 3D rendering, which again is primarily CPU-based. So as much as I'd like 'the ultimate gaming machine', I had to find a balance between CPU performance and gaming performance to meet all of my needs adequately.

Heck, originally I was going to put a GF4 Ti4200 in there, but the GF FX5600 had DX9 and a tiny bit more performance (and came with a game that I was wanting to buy anyway), so it was worth the extra $40 over the GF4 TI4200 that I had specced a month ago.

In the future (6 months to a year) I do plan on upgrading to a Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9700Pro Ultimate (fanless heatsink stock so that waranty is still valid) or better if Sapphire (or someone else I guess) ever makes a better fanless card. I just didn't see it worth waiting six more months to build my PC <i>just</i> so that I could spec a better video card when I could build one now with a moderately good card and upgrade later. And canibalizing my CPU and/or RAM just for a better video card wasn't worth it to me either.

July 7, 2003 6:58:53 PM

Quote:
Why you are not buying ATI?You can get a Radeon 9600 pro for the same price.

A Radeon 9600 Pro is only slightly better performance and it doesn't even come with VIVO. :(  It doens't seem worth it to me. A 9500 Pro, maybe, <i>if</i> I could get one for $150.

Quote:
But if u want VIVO no way .

Exactly. And I want VIVO. It may just be to toy with mostly, but I'll definately get use out of it.

Quote:
Or can u afford AIW 9800?

I wish! As I said, I'm on a budget and I can't spend more on a different part unless I cut a corner on something else to make up the difference.

July 7, 2003 7:13:19 PM

Well, I'm nitpicking here, but I always consider Micron RAM better than most manufacturer's top of the line (only Crucial LL series manages to beat it due to faster timings. At the same timings, its a push! It owns the Corsair Value). Its the same price as the Corsair.

Also. My personal preference would be an ATI 9500 128 (PowerCooler or Saphire) It has VIVO functionality & DX9 & it just might take the software mod to make it a 9700 . . . AND it costs $20 less. Muhahaha!

July 7, 2003 7:33:50 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm nitpicking here, but I always consider Micron RAM better than most manufacturer's top of the line (only Crucial LL series manages to beat it due to faster timings. At the same timings, its a push! It owns the Corsair Value). Its the same price as the Corsair.

I'd be tempted if it had a CAS of even 2.5. The Micron RAM that I see there is at CAS3 though. :(  Yeah, I could fudge with the timings, but then I invalidate my waranty. Plus the Micron is in single sticks which <i>hopefully</i> are from the same batch, but there are no guarantees. The Corsair is at least assured to be from the same batch. Believe me, I had the same thoughts, but in the end I just decided not to tempt fate any more than I had to.

Quote:
Also. My personal preference would be an ATI 9500 128 (PowerCooler or Saphire) It has VIVO functionality & DX9 & it just might take the software mod to make it a 9700 . . . AND it costs $20 less. Muhahaha!

I see video out, but not video in. Are you sure that it has VIVO functionality? And if the software mod worked it would be a good performer. If it didn't work though the plain 9500 gets spanked by a GF4 Ti4200 ... and that'd be no fun. That's kind of risky.

July 7, 2003 8:42:12 PM

I like everything but the RAM and video.

For the RAM, you can get 512MB of Buffalo PC3200 at newegg for $86. Unfortunately they're out of stock ATM, but they should be back soon. Also, they use Winbond chips which are top of the line.

As for the video card, without using AA/AF, it will be slower than a Ti4200. Then using AA/AF, it would probably give framerates that are unplayable. If you're trying to save money, just go for a Ti4200, otherwise, go for a R9500/9600 Pro.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6482578" target="_new">3D Mark2K1 Compare</A>
July 7, 2003 8:47:44 PM

Quote:
from the same batch

Marketing smoke and mirrors.
Additionally, Crucial 3200 runs at CL 2.5 just fine. Exactly <i>how</i> does that invalidate your warranty?

Quote:
And if the software mod worked it would be a good performer. If it didn't work though the plain 9500 gets spanked by a GF4 Ti4200 ... and that'd be no fun. <b>That's kind of risky.</b> (emphasis added)

Where's your sense of adventure?

OK, Ok. Looks like the GameVE and PCRapids descriptions were missprints. No VIVO. Shame on me! 9200, does, but it is a serious budget part, lacking DX9. Looks like the FX5600 is your best bet. Thumbs up!

July 7, 2003 8:50:04 PM

Quote:
For the RAM, you can get 512MB of Buffalo PC3200 at newegg for $86. Unfortunately they're out of stock ATM, but they should be back soon. Also, they use Winbond chips which are top of the line.

I'd never even heard of Buffalo RAM until a month ago when I was looking around on Newegg. I don't trust names that I've never heard of and can't seem to find any real solid information about. I'm trying to mitigate any and all risks with this system.

Quote:
As for the video card, without using AA/AF, it will be slower than a Ti4200. Then using AA/AF, it would probably give framerates that are unplayable. If you're trying to save money, just go for a Ti4200, otherwise, go for a R9500/9600 Pro.

I generally agree except that the GF4 Ti4200 doesn't have VIVO and doesn't support DX9 so it won't look as nice running DX9 games and won't allow me to learn how to program DX9 effects. Plus the GF FX 5600 that I picked out has nice heatsinks so it should OC well enough to match or beat a GF4 Ti4200 at stock.

July 7, 2003 11:20:17 PM

lol... that's just a great idea...

However Silver sounds like a more conservative person.. I doubt he'd feel comfortable doing that.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6482578" target="_new">3D Mark2K1 Compare</A>
July 8, 2003 12:28:07 AM

You're about to enjoy a planetary war with Slvr, after what you suggested! Watch out! :wink:

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=red><b>Join the Tom's Hardware Guide Community Photo album, send us your pics!</font color=red></b></A>
July 8, 2003 5:30:19 AM

Good system. Its good to see that u have a reason for everything. The result - u have a resonable system there :wink: .

me says: If it was not for <b><font color=red>C</font color=red></b>, we wud be using <font color=blue><b>BASI, PASAL & OBOL</font color=blue></b>
<b>slvr_phoenix</b> says: But I'd still be using Python. :-p
July 8, 2003 2:27:06 PM

Quote:
Marketing smoke and mirrors.

Not really. In general you should be able to run two completely dissimilar modules. However they'll both run at the speed of the slower and memory timings often will have to be raised slightly to get them to play nicely together. Even two sticks of the same RAM from the same company can have slight disparities which will require slightly worse memory timings to accomodate. Matched pairs mitigate this eventuality. It's not that non-matched pairs won't run, just that they may not run at their best.

Quote:
Additionally, Crucial 3200 runs at CL 2.5 just fine. Exactly how does that invalidate your warranty?

Let me quote directly from Crucial's waranty as the folks at Crucial pointed me to, adding my own emphasis in bold to the point that they made:
Quote:
The above warranties cover only defects arising under normal use and do not include malfunctions or failures resulting from misuse, abuse, neglect, alteration, problems with electrical power, <b>usage not in accordance with product instructions</b>, acts of nature or improper installation or repairs made by anyone other than Crucial or a Crucial-authorized third party service provider.

The product is CL3. Running it at anything better constitutes 'usage not in accordance with product instructions' according to the folks at Crucial. It amounts to the same thing as overclocking according to them ... and most experts for that matter.

Quote:
Where's your sense of adventure?

When I'm buying a system that I've been saving up for over four years (other expenses kept getting in the way), my spirit of adventure has been gagged, blindfolded, bound by steel cables, and locked in a dark closet. **ROFL** I'm doing my best to play it completely and boringly safe because who knows when I might have the money to correct any mistakes.

Quote:
OK, Ok. Looks like the GameVE and PCRapids descriptions were missprints. No VIVO. Shame on me! 9200, does, but it is a serious budget part, lacking DX9. Looks like the FX5600 is your best bet. Thumbs up!

Yeah. It may not be the best performance, but it's a very well-rounded and feature-rich graphics solution if pure gaming FPS isn't an absolute necessity. I think people just like to pick on GF FX models. Heh heh.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by slvr_phoenix on 07/08/03 09:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 8, 2003 2:31:17 PM

Quote:
Get rid of that WinXP retail from your list. Since you care so much about spending your money, download it. If you need help with installing SP on illegal versions, contact me.

Believe me, I was tempted. I know how. Not only that, but I do have access to network installs for both it and Win2K.

However, as a software engineer, no matter how much I dislike WinXP and M$ for their bad attitude towards customers lately, I just can't bring myself to pirate software, even from a company as bloated and deserving to be ripped off as M$. It's just too hypocritical and if I don't have my ethics, then I have nothing.

July 8, 2003 2:35:05 PM

Quote:
However Silver sounds like a more conservative person.. I doubt he'd feel comfortable doing that.

I wouldn't call it conservative so much as karmicly-challenged and ethicly-bound. ;)  I'm not doing it because I write software myself and I can't very well go around saying how bad piracy is while at the same time pirate software whenever it suits me. That just ain't right.

July 8, 2003 2:50:05 PM

Quote:
You're about to enjoy a planetary war with Slvr, after what you suggested! Watch out! :wink:

Maybe another day. I think I've worn myself out trying to fight the whole piracy battle. Either people obey the law or they don't. Let the RIAA track down and prosecute individuals for downloading music that they never paid for. Let M$ implement all sorts of copy-protection and DRM into software. Let everyone else implement it into hardware as well. Let the battle between everyday people who casually pirate and big corporations begin. Let our rights under fair use laws be amongst the first casualties and the poor students who claim not to know any better be the first martyrs. I'm tired of trying to crusade both for our rights and against piracy at the same time. There have just been too many wrongs to make any of it right ever again.

July 8, 2003 2:58:47 PM

Quote:
Good system. Its good to see that u have a reason for everything. The result - u have a resonable system there.

Thanks. It's no gaming wonder, that's for sure. But I'm hoping that it will be as well-rounded as I need. I have to admit though that I am tempted to get the P4P800 Deluxe. I don't have any firewire devices now, but in the future ... who knows? Plus in the semi-near future I could get another hard drive to turn it into a RAID1 array.

I'd really prefer either a RAID 1.5 or RAID5 array though, and I might get a SB Audigy2 (which has a firewire port) if the onboard sound quality isn't so spiffy. So it's hard to decide if the extra twenty bucks would be worth it or not... Maybe I'll just go donate blood and solve my dilema. **ROFL**

July 8, 2003 4:48:37 PM

Ok. I've read the same warranty. They're just trying to scare us.

I don't pretend to know anything about CMOS technology, but it seems that Crucial/Micron would be hard pressed to distiguish a failure due to a flaw in the IC or failure due to agressive timings.

Let me clarify my point of view:
I tend to adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" policy when it comes to performing an RMA.

The Maxtor drive I bought for $20 (d540x 40GB) had obvious water (flood) damage. RMA sucessful.

The USR modem was killed by lightning/power surge through phone line. RMA successful.

I live a charmed life.

Quote:
I think people just like to pick on GF FX models.

You know you're right. It most likely has to do with 1)nVidia is still top dog, and 2)they have the Futuremark scandal.

I really like ATI's AIW solutions. Their discrete tuner cards are also great. It's what I use. Their software kinda bites, though.
Pinnacle stuff is pretty good, especially if you're into DV.

I use VirtualDub for all my editing and converting.

What I was getting at is (but not in your budget) was spending less on a vid card () and getting a discrete capture solution. But for what you get, and from what I've been able to see, the FX5600 is the <b>best</b> deal right now for DX9. Otherwise, I'd be recommending with a Ti4200-8X. best price/performance IMO.

I prefer ATI because due to my own side by side subjective comparison: ATI owns nVidia visually (color, sharpness, ect.)
Hardware:
ATI: Rage 128, Radeon 7500 AIW, Radeon 8500
Nvidia: Geforce 256 DDR, GeForce2 MX400, Ti4400
Monitors: (CRT) KDS AV-9TF, (LCD)Hitachi CML-155
Software:
Windows 2000 SP3
ATI: Windows driver for the Rage, Catalyst 3.2 for the Radeons.
and Detonator 41.09 for the GeForce

The best was the 8500, the worst was the GeForce 256 (though it is older, but was new, and in box May, 2002)

July 8, 2003 8:30:45 PM

Quote:
Ok. I've read the same warranty. They're just trying to scare us.

I don't pretend to know anything about CMOS technology, but it seems that Crucial/Micron would be hard pressed to distiguish a failure due to a flaw in the IC or failure due to agressive timings.

I agree, they would be pretty hard pressed to tell, and that's assuming that they even tried which I doubt they would. That aside, if I get CAS2.5 RAM I can return it if it doesn't run at CAS2.5. If I get CAS3 RAM then I can't return it (without paying a restock fee) if it refuses to run at CAS2.5.

Even still, I'm really not all that concerned. If I thought that there was a significant reason to get the Crucial, I probably would. So far though I haven't seen any quantification of how the Crucial will benefit me over the Corsair Value Select.

Quote:
I live a charmed life.

I wish that I did. That's why I'm trying my best to mitigate the possible problems with this system.

Quote:
You know you're right. It most likely has to do with 1)nVidia is still top dog, and 2)they have the Futuremark scandal.

That whole Futuremark 'scandal' thing is just a joke in my opinion. You're definately right about #1 though. People seem to like to root for the underdog.

Which is funny really, since I really like the Radeon 9800 Pro. I wish Sapphire would make a passively-cooled AIW Radeon 9800 Pro. I'd make that my first upgrade if such an animal existed!

The funny thing is that I don't care much about a remote control or a TV tuner (at least with this system). I just want a video in so that I can record MPEG2 from a camera and/or another input source.

Quote:
What I was getting at is (but not in your budget) was spending less on a vid card () and getting a discrete capture solution. But for what you get, and from what I've been able to see, the FX5600 is the best deal right now for DX9. Otherwise, I'd be recommending with a Ti4200-8X. best price/performance IMO.

I actually found a scary bit 'o hardware, the MSI Ti4200-VTD8X. It's a GF4 Ti4200 with AGP8x, 128MB, and VIVO. And it costs less than the GF FX5600 VIVO. True, it isn't DX9, but the extra 30 bucks is tempting, as is the collection of games that MSI bundles with it. Anyone heard any bad things about the <A HREF="http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_..." target="_new">MSI Ti4200-VTD8X</A>?

July 8, 2003 9:22:11 PM

Quote:
If I get CAS3 RAM then I can't return it (without paying a restock fee) if it refuses to run at CAS2.5.

I have a feeling your conversion is going to take a while :smile:

Crucial has a 30 day guarantee.
I don't remember where I saw them, but a year ago, I was looking for RAM, and I wanted to know if there really was a benefit to paying more for Corsair, Geil, ect. Plus, I was pissed at Micron for artificially inflating DRAM prices. The answer I got was:

<i>Using default voltages at rated bus speed and same timings, Micron RAM performs better than any other manufacturer's RAM.</i>

Anandtech's article on RAM compatibility for 875/865 shows only the Corsair LL besting the Micron, albeit at faster timings than the Micron.

Like I said, the Ti4200-8X is a great card right now. MSI makes good vid cards, too. Never had a problem (all our nVidia based cards are MSI). It's comprable in 3D performance to a 9500 PRO, but $70 less.

If I were in your situation, I would be wont to get the BEST technology I can afford. You might be able to get away with doing what I did:

Buy your components in order based on price volitality,
Example:
Case
PSU
Keyboard
Mouse
CD/DVD-ROM drive
Monitor (CRT)
CD-RW
RAM
HDD
Monitor (LCD)
Video
Motherboard
CPU
DVD-RW/DVD+RW

Problems arise where RAM and HDD can also go up or down over time.

July 9, 2003 2:21:04 AM

Quote:
For games, sure. However games aren't the only things that I run. I do write analytical scientific software and that takes some major CPU and RAM to crunch through well. I also dabble in 3D rendering, which again is primarily CPU-based. So as much as I'd like 'the ultimate gaming machine', I had to find a balance between CPU performance and gaming performance to meet all of my needs adequately.

Interesting... I do almost the exact same things that you do... I also do gaming, of course... :smile: Just out of curiosity, what kind of scientific work do you work with? I'd like to know that! (I'm actually a physicist)... And I've always loved 3d rendering as a hobby. Too bad 3DSMAX is so expensive...

Oh, and I might be upgrading by the end of this year... And I do hope to get a system that looks at least as nice as the one you plan to get! :smile:
July 9, 2003 4:02:47 AM

there are many vivo versions of ti4200 cards...off of the top of my head i know that leadtek made/makes a vivo 4200 card.
July 9, 2003 12:19:54 PM

I own a WD800JB and it's the best IDE HD I've ever had. It's fast and VERY quiet. I'm so happy with it, I intend for my next HD to be a WD model. I'll never buy a Maxtor again!
July 9, 2003 12:35:35 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling your conversion is going to take a while :smile:

**ROFL** Really, I'm not too concerned. Both RAM options are the same price, for the same quantity, for equal performance. Both are good manufacturers. It's not that I have anything against Crucial and am refusing them flat out. It's that in theory <i>if</i> I overclock the timings from the Crucial I get the exact same performance either way, and for the exact same money. So what's the point? The point is that with the Corsair I don't have to overclock the timings because they're already set in the SPD to the timings that I want. So why convert when it's not going to save me money or give me better performance?

Quote:
If I were in your situation, I would be wont to get the BEST technology I can afford.

For the most part, I am. However, I invision upgrading both the video card and the processor at a later time. (Probably adding more hard drives too.) So these areas I can 'settle' for less-than-perfect now and aim at the midrange spectrum where prices aren't so inflated but performance is still acceptable.

What will be fun as hell is seeing that huge conglomeration of parts arive from Newegg all in one shipment. Heh heh. :)  A whole PC (including monitor and UPS) with all of the parts in seperate packaging. It's almost evil. Poor FedEx delivery person.

July 9, 2003 1:12:23 PM

Quote:
Interesting... I do almost the exact same things that you do... I also do gaming, of course... :smile: Just out of curiosity, what kind of scientific work do you work with? I'd like to know that! (I'm actually a physicist)...

I write software for x-ray diffraction crystallography with small molecules and proteins. All considered it's pretty amazing since I don't have any sort of a scientific backround ... well, other than a bunch of advanced programs in high school for college credit ... that I never recieved the credit for because I went into the military instead of going to the community college where I would have gotten the credits and so by now I'd have to take the classes over again. Heh heh.

But I basically got hired as a general programmer and GUI specialist when the company was pushing for a new software suite. Then when that was over I worked my way into coding more of the scientific parts of the software. :) 

Quote:
And I've always loved 3d rendering as a hobby. Too bad 3DSMAX is so expensive...

No flirking schiznit! Not only that, but the last time that I checked they don't even offer a trial version so that you can see if it even meets your needs yet. :(  Like I'm going to shell out loads of cash on software that I can't even try first.

I have an old version that a friend sold to me dirt cheap when his company upgraded to a new version. It's so old that it is kinda crappy though. General modelling works fine, but animation effects are a pain in the arse and I haven't gotten sound to tie in correctly at all yet. I pretty much gave up on it for those reasons. I do have some other softwares too, so I just really don't use 3DSM all that much anymore. Mostly right now I just make web graphics (like nifty buttons) so Asymetrix Web3D is what I use the most often.

Once I get the new hardware though I'm going to check out the open source community and see what's out there. :)  If they have 3D modeling software that's anywhere near as advanced as Gimp then I'll be happy. (Even if it probably means a painful user interface.)

Plus I'm writing my own 3D software. :)  It's just another OpenGL engine, but this one is for Python specifically and written completely in Python without using GLU or any other libraries, which makes portability easy as sin. It's also designed specifically around object modeling, not around game design. So at some point I'll just be able to use that software and code in my own models using the primatives from the engine. :) 

All in all though what I <i>really</i> want to do is start work on a DX skin-morphing engine where you take a basic model (such as for a human) and you warp that model in specified areas. Then using the information on how you warped the model, you warp the skin for that simple model into a skin for your warped model. If it works it'll allow game programmers to spend less time making skins and greatly increase the visual differences between characters and monsters and such that would have normally looked exactly identical.

Quote:
Oh, and I might be upgrading by the end of this year... And I do hope to get a system that looks at least as nice as the one you plan to get! :smile:

Cool. Now seems like a good time to upgrade. You can get a motherboard with a Northwood but can later upgrade to an early Prescott. You can give it a PATA hard drive but have support for a SATA upgrade later. A whole new batch of video cards will be out for Christmas and affordable a few months after that. **ROFL** Short of waiting another year or more, now is the time to buy an Intel-based system. :) 

I might have a massive update on my system specs though. It's mostly a lot of subtle changes. I'll probably post a whole new thread on it when I finish working out the kinks in the budget part of it. **LOL**

July 9, 2003 5:55:30 PM

<b>Message</b>
Brothers and sisters, we are gathered here today to welcome our brother, slvr_phoenix to our fold. He has seen been shown the light that leads to understanding. You see, brothers and sisters, a problem with Micron is that they <i>strictly</i> adhere to JDEC standards. That means PC 3200 @ CAS 3. Corsair says "fully compliant with <i>appropriate</i> JEDEC specifications." Do not let yourselves be mislead by those words. The straight and narrow path to righteousness begins with knowing that even <i>with</i> the higher latency, the memory performance is just as good (many times, faster) as RAM from other manufacturers with faster specified timings. The main issue with Micron, however, is that their DIMMs are abysmal overclockers.

<b>Hymn of Response*</b>
Bottom line: if you want to overclock (voltage/bus), even OCZ RAM beats Micron.

<b>Benediction</b>
There's no reason for you to buy Micron, actually. I Just wanted to make a plea to all the lost out there.

<b>Postlude</b>
<i>THG Oratorio, III</i>

*Congregation, please stand

<b>Message for next week:</b>
“Who Shall Deliver FedEx?” Or, “Witnessing begins at home”

Ok, enough silliness. I did the same thing when I built the system I using now. I fully intended to install a Barton CPU, but they were delayed, delayed, and delayed. So, I bought the cheapest Duron I could find. I’ll get a Barton in October. Now, it is HARD to do that with video cards because of technology creep.

Now, you <i>could</i> buy a Celery to offset the price of a more spectacular video card. Or you could. . . Hell, I keep going, I'll confuse myself.

Just buy the junk. Get your scores on the Futuremark ORB. Or else. Fire and brimstone.

:smile: