Botched boot.ini - cannot boot into a system

I got the following help from Richard about taking out two lines in my
boot.ini file. Unfortunately, I was over zealous and erased all the lines.
Now the computer will not boot at all. How do I modify my boot to be
non-hidden system file that I can edit?
I am able to boot the computer using an emergency boot diskette.

----------------

Richard,

I am able to boot the computer using my emergency boot startup disk. I
copied the boot.ini file to the floppy and tried to edit it but the system
won't let me. Ditto when I tried to copy it back to the C: drive.

"ronbo76" wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I think I screwed up! I opened the file with Notepad and there was this
> entire section about bootloading. Unfortunately I destroyed the entire
> section versus just those two lines. Now the computer will not not boot at
> all even in Safe mode. I just the following lines:
>
> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
>
> Windows root>system32\hal.dll.
>
> Please re-install a copy of the above file.
>
> Help!
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > That line is likely in the boot.ini file. After you have reinstalled and
> > booted into Windows, you can use notepad to open boot.ini. Delete the
> > associated line, save and exit the file. Reboot to make certain it is gone.
> >
> > Another way is to right click on my computer. Go to properties | advanced |
> > Startup and Recovery Settings | Edit. This will also open the file in
> > notepad.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > Quote from: George Ankner
> > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
> >
> > "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I know that I should click on that message.
> > >
> > > HOWEVER, it continues to show whenever I boot the system. My question as
> > > before is how do I get rid of this error message.

5 answers Last reply
More about botched boot boot system

    Hi,

    Load the Recovery Console, run bootcfg /rebuild from the prompt. A DOS EBD
    will not be able to save to an NTFS volume, you need to use the RC.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    >I got the following help from Richard about taking out two lines in my
    > boot.ini file. Unfortunately, I was over zealous and erased all the lines.
    > Now the computer will not boot at all. How do I modify my boot to be
    > non-hidden system file that I can edit?
    > I am able to boot the computer using an emergency boot diskette.
    >

    > ----------------
    >
    > Richard,
    >
    > I am able to boot the computer using my emergency boot startup disk. I
    > copied the boot.ini file to the floppy and tried to edit it but the system
    > won't let me. Ditto when I tried to copy it back to the C: drive.
    >
    > "ronbo76" wrote:
    >
    >> Richard,
    >>
    >> I think I screwed up! I opened the file with Notepad and there was this
    >> entire section about bootloading. Unfortunately I destroyed the entire
    >> section versus just those two lines. Now the computer will not not boot
    >> at
    >> all even in Safe mode. I just the following lines:
    >>
    >> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    >>
    >> Windows root>system32\hal.dll.
    >>
    >> Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    >>
    >> Help!
    >>
    >> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
    >>
    >> > That line is likely in the boot.ini file. After you have reinstalled
    >> > and
    >> > booted into Windows, you can use notepad to open boot.ini. Delete the
    >> > associated line, save and exit the file. Reboot to make certain it is
    >> > gone.
    >> >
    >> > Another way is to right click on my computer. Go to properties |
    >> > advanced |
    >> > Startup and Recovery Settings | Edit. This will also open the file in
    >> > notepad.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Regards,
    >> >
    >> > Richard Urban
    >> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> >
    >> > Quote from: George Ankner
    >> > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >> >
    >> > "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Unfortunately my CDRom is now not working - ergo, I can't boot from the CD.
    Is there a way I can build a set of installation diskettes from my ME full
    Upgrade CD? I know it is stable on my old computer. I can the disks using a
    friend's tower.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Load the Recovery Console, run bootcfg /rebuild from the prompt. A DOS EBD
    > will not be able to save to an NTFS volume, you need to use the RC.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I got the following help from Richard about taking out two lines in my
    > > boot.ini file. Unfortunately, I was over zealous and erased all the lines.
    > > Now the computer will not boot at all. How do I modify my boot to be
    > > non-hidden system file that I can edit?
    > > I am able to boot the computer using an emergency boot diskette.
    > >

    > > ----------------
    > >
    > > Richard,
    > >
    > > I am able to boot the computer using my emergency boot startup disk. I
    > > copied the boot.ini file to the floppy and tried to edit it but the system
    > > won't let me. Ditto when I tried to copy it back to the C: drive.
    > >
    > > "ronbo76" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Richard,
    > >>
    > >> I think I screwed up! I opened the file with Notepad and there was this
    > >> entire section about bootloading. Unfortunately I destroyed the entire
    > >> section versus just those two lines. Now the computer will not not boot
    > >> at
    > >> all even in Safe mode. I just the following lines:
    > >>
    > >> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    > >>
    > >> Windows root>system32\hal.dll.
    > >>
    > >> Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    > >>
    > >> Help!

    Is your drive using NTFS or Fat32?
    ME disks will not read or write to NTFS.
    --
    Ron Sommer

    > Unfortunately my CDRom is now not working - ergo, I can't boot from the
    > CD.
    > Is there a way I can build a set of installation diskettes from my ME full
    > Upgrade CD? I know it is stable on my old computer. I can the disks using
    > friend's tower.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Load the Recovery Console, run bootcfg /rebuild from the prompt. A DOS
    >> EBD
    >> will not be able to save to an NTFS volume, you need to use the RC.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I got the following help from Richard about taking out two lines in my
    >> > boot.ini file. Unfortunately, I was over zealous and erased all the
    >> > lines.
    >> > Now the computer will not boot at all. How do I modify my boot to be
    >> > non-hidden system file that I can edit?
    >> > I am able to boot the computer using an emergency boot diskette.
    >> >

    >> > ----------------
    >> >
    >> > Richard,
    >> >
    >> > I am able to boot the computer using my emergency boot startup disk. I
    >> > copied the boot.ini file to the floppy and tried to edit it but the
    >> > system
    >> > won't let me. Ditto when I tried to copy it back to the C: drive.

    I would assume Fat32 because I can boot the ME startup disk and use edit to
    modify the boot.ini file.

    "Ron Sommer" wrote:

    > Is your drive using NTFS or Fat32?
    > ME disks will not read or write to NTFS.
    > --
    > Ron Sommer
    >
    > "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Unfortunately my CDRom is now not working - ergo, I can't boot from the
    > > CD.
    > > Is there a way I can build a set of installation diskettes from my ME full
    > > Upgrade CD? I know it is stable on my old computer. I can the disks using
    > > friend's tower.
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Load the Recovery Console, run bootcfg /rebuild from the prompt. A DOS
    > >> EBD
    > >> will not be able to save to an NTFS volume, you need to use the RC.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi,

    No, you can't do it from WinME. Use the XP boot floppy set.

    Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy

    --

Computers Boot Windows XP