Botched boot.ini - cannot boot into a system

August 21, 2005 3:06:01 PM

I got the following help from Richard about taking out two lines in my
boot.ini file. Unfortunately, I was over zealous and erased all the lines.
Now the computer will not boot at all. How do I modify my boot to be
non-hidden system file that I can edit?
I am able to boot the computer using an emergency boot diskette.

----------------

Richard,

I am able to boot the computer using my emergency boot startup disk. I
copied the boot.ini file to the floppy and tried to edit it but the system
won't let me. Ditto when I tried to copy it back to the C: drive.

"ronbo76" wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I think I screwed up! I opened the file with Notepad and there was this
> entire section about bootloading. Unfortunately I destroyed the entire
> section versus just those two lines. Now the computer will not not boot at
> all even in Safe mode. I just the following lines:
>
> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
>
> Windows root>system32\hal.dll.
>
> Please re-install a copy of the above file.
>
> Help!
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > That line is likely in the boot.ini file. After you have reinstalled and
> > booted into Windows, you can use notepad to open boot.ini. Delete the
> > associated line, save and exit the file. Reboot to make certain it is gone.
> >
> > Another way is to right click on my computer. Go to properties | advanced |
> > Startup and Recovery Settings | Edit. This will also open the file in
> > notepad.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > Quote from: George Ankner
> > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
> >
> > "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I know that I should click on that message.
> > >
> > > HOWEVER, it continues to show whenever I boot the system. My question as
> > > before is how do I get rid of this error message.

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 7:17:56 PM

Hi,

Load the Recovery Console, run bootcfg /rebuild from the prompt. A DOS EBD
will not be able to save to an NTFS volume, you need to use the RC.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

>I got the following help from Richard about taking out two lines in my
> boot.ini file. Unfortunately, I was over zealous and erased all the lines.
> Now the computer will not boot at all. How do I modify my boot to be
> non-hidden system file that I can edit?
> I am able to boot the computer using an emergency boot diskette.
>

> ----------------
>
> Richard,
>
> I am able to boot the computer using my emergency boot startup disk. I
> copied the boot.ini file to the floppy and tried to edit it but the system
> won't let me. Ditto when I tried to copy it back to the C: drive.
>
> "ronbo76" wrote:
>
>> Richard,
>>
>> I think I screwed up! I opened the file with Notepad and there was this
>> entire section about bootloading. Unfortunately I destroyed the entire
>> section versus just those two lines. Now the computer will not not boot
>> at
>> all even in Safe mode. I just the following lines:
>>
>> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
>>
>> Windows root>system32\hal.dll.
>>
>> Please re-install a copy of the above file.
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > That line is likely in the boot.ini file. After you have reinstalled
>> > and
>> > booted into Windows, you can use notepad to open boot.ini. Delete the
>> > associated line, save and exit the file. Reboot to make certain it is
>> > gone.
>> >
>> > Another way is to right click on my computer. Go to properties |
>> > advanced |
>> > Startup and Recovery Settings | Edit. This will also open the file in
>> > notepad.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Richard Urban
>> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>> >
>> > Quote from: George Ankner
>> > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>> >
>> > "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 9:49:55 PM

Unfortunately my CDRom is now not working - ergo, I can't boot from the CD.
Is there a way I can build a set of installation diskettes from my ME full
Upgrade CD? I know it is stable on my old computer. I can the disks using a
friend's tower.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Load the Recovery Console, run bootcfg /rebuild from the prompt. A DOS EBD
> will not be able to save to an NTFS volume, you need to use the RC.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I got the following help from Richard about taking out two lines in my
> > boot.ini file. Unfortunately, I was over zealous and erased all the lines.
> > Now the computer will not boot at all. How do I modify my boot to be
> > non-hidden system file that I can edit?
> > I am able to boot the computer using an emergency boot diskette.
> >

> > ----------------
> >
> > Richard,
> >
> > I am able to boot the computer using my emergency boot startup disk. I
> > copied the boot.ini file to the floppy and tried to edit it but the system
> > won't let me. Ditto when I tried to copy it back to the C: drive.
> >
> > "ronbo76" wrote:
> >
> >> Richard,
> >>
> >> I think I screwed up! I opened the file with Notepad and there was this
> >> entire section about bootloading. Unfortunately I destroyed the entire
> >> section versus just those two lines. Now the computer will not not boot
> >> at
> >> all even in Safe mode. I just the following lines:
> >>
> >> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
> >>
> >> Windows root>system32\hal.dll.
> >>
> >> Please re-install a copy of the above file.
> >>
> >> Help!

August 22, 2005 12:25:40 AM

Is your drive using NTFS or Fat32?
ME disks will not read or write to NTFS.
--
Ron Sommer

> Unfortunately my CDRom is now not working - ergo, I can't boot from the
> CD.
> Is there a way I can build a set of installation diskettes from my ME full
> Upgrade CD? I know it is stable on my old computer. I can the disks using
> friend's tower.
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Load the Recovery Console, run bootcfg /rebuild from the prompt. A DOS
>> EBD
>> will not be able to save to an NTFS volume, you need to use the RC.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I got the following help from Richard about taking out two lines in my
>> > boot.ini file. Unfortunately, I was over zealous and erased all the
>> > lines.
>> > Now the computer will not boot at all. How do I modify my boot to be
>> > non-hidden system file that I can edit?
>> > I am able to boot the computer using an emergency boot diskette.
>> >

>> > ----------------
>> >
>> > Richard,
>> >
>> > I am able to boot the computer using my emergency boot startup disk. I
>> > copied the boot.ini file to the floppy and tried to edit it but the
>> > system
>> > won't let me. Ditto when I tried to copy it back to the C: drive.

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:25:41 AM

I would assume Fat32 because I can boot the ME startup disk and use edit to
modify the boot.ini file.

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> Is your drive using NTFS or Fat32?
> ME disks will not read or write to NTFS.
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Unfortunately my CDRom is now not working - ergo, I can't boot from the
> > CD.
> > Is there a way I can build a set of installation diskettes from my ME full
> > Upgrade CD? I know it is stable on my old computer. I can the disks using
> > friend's tower.
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Load the Recovery Console, run bootcfg /rebuild from the prompt. A DOS
> >> EBD
> >> will not be able to save to an NTFS volume, you need to use the RC.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 2:05:31 AM

Hi,

No, you can't do it from WinME. Use the XP boot floppy set.

Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy

--

!