Sign in with
Your question

Unlocking/Overclocking 2200+

Last response: in CPUs
July 7, 2003 7:37:02 PM

I have a Athlon 2200+ Thoroughbred 'A'. I'm kind of confused when it comes to unlocking the CPU because there are multiple ways for both the A and B core. Since all the L1 bridges are close I believe that I should be able to change the multipliers in the BIOS without any problems but as soon as I change them my computer won't boot. Is the CPU already shipped unlocked or do I need to connect the 5th L3 bridge like in the Barton? If I do need to connect the 5th L3 bridge then is the wire loop method the same as connecting the 5th L3 bridge using a conductive pen? I've also seen some people connecting the L1 bridges which doesn't make sense because they are already connected when shipped. I'd just like a little clarification on this topic before I fry my chip. Also, if you have some good settings that have worked for you please share. :-)

Thanks in advance!!!
July 7, 2003 7:57:36 PM

is that a very old motherboard u r using there? the new ones give ample choice of multipliers depending on the CPU.

If it was not for <b><font color=red>C</font color=red></b>, we wud be using <b><font color=blue>BASI, PASAL & OBOL</font color=blue></b>
July 7, 2003 8:00:43 PM

No, it's only about 6 months or so old. They're still being sold at computer stores. The KT400 chipset was released just before the NForce2 chipset. I can change the multiplier setting in the BIOS but my computer won't even boot into the BIOS as soon as I change them. I have to take out the CMOS battery to get back into the BIOS.
Related resources
July 7, 2003 8:25:03 PM

hey thats not a old board at all. i have the Asus A7V8X motherboard. It gives me all the multipliers to choose. With my old 1800+ t-bred A, which i had unlocked by closing the L1 bridges (tnx to the THG video), i cud choose any multiplier from as low as 8 to as high as 18, at least those are the extreme ones i had tested. The system was even stable at 9*206 at 1.8 Vcore and DDR333 RAM!!

<font color=red>Cancer:</font color=red>
As a truly moody Sun sign, u'll often b prone 2 laziness. The only way 2 change ur life is 2 get off the .Net, have a little Java and head out into the Deep Blue yonder.
July 7, 2003 8:31:27 PM

Quote:
If it was not for <b><font color=red>C</font color=red></b>, we wud be using <b><font color=blue>BASI, PASAL & OBOL</font color=blue></b>

But I'd still be using Python. :-p

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
July 7, 2003 8:42:00 PM

If I can change the multipliers in the BIOS does that mean the chip is unlocked? I mean, if the chip was locked would I even been given the options to change them in the BIOS? I'm just not sure if I need to do something to the chip...
July 7, 2003 8:46:38 PM

heya slvr_phoenix, chek out my new sig...

me says: If it was not for <b><font color=red>C</font color=red></b>, we wud be using <font color=blue><b>BASI, PASAL & OBOL</font color=blue></b>
<b>slvr_phoenix</b> says: But I'd still be using Python. :-p
July 7, 2003 8:57:35 PM

surely. but with the t-bred Bs, upto 2100+, all the lower CPUs have their lower multipliers unlocked(upto 12.5) and 2100+ and upwards have the higher multipliers unlocked (starting from 13 and upwards)

me says: If it was not for <b><font color=red>C</font color=red></b>, we wud be using <font color=blue><b>BASI, PASAL & OBOL</font color=blue></b>
July 7, 2003 9:05:47 PM

Ok, so if I connect the 5th L3 bridge I should get access to a different set of multipliers?
July 7, 2003 9:11:07 PM

u can either mod ur bridges or u can connect 2 pins on the under side of the CPU. both do the same job for you. What mod for what combination?? i dont know :smile: . i think u'll have to do a little research.

July 7, 2003 9:14:01 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the help. I just wanted to make sure that was the correct mod for my chip. I'll go ahead an try it and if I can't use those multiplier setting than I can remove the mod.
July 7, 2003 9:25:57 PM

instead, i suggest u download the THG VIdeo, and then do the mod to the L1 bridges. its fairly simple.<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/column/20011124/" target="_new"> this is the video i was talking about.</A>

Good luck!

July 7, 2003 9:31:34 PM

u'll see in the video, thay have used Conductive Silver Laquer. I cudnt get any here. But i found some other conductive liquid. I think its basically very fine metallic particles (look like copper) in some liquid. the liquid when exposed to air dries off and the metal stays on making a conducting path.

The advantage of using this liquid for me is that I cud wash off the links on the L1 bridges with some alcohol or kerosene. that way if i screw up the CPU, i cud remove all trace of the mod and get it replaced probably :wink:

July 7, 2003 10:59:02 PM

I believe that video is for the old T-Birds that didn't have the L1 bridges closed. ALL of my L1 bridges are closed so I should just need to connect the 5th L3 bridge. I'll take a look at that video when I get home though.

Thanks
July 8, 2003 4:38:49 AM

i c. but my t-bred A 1800+ had all the L1 bridges cut. so it worked for me.

!