Problems re-installing windows XP Home Edition

August 21, 2005 3:19:01 PM

Hello,
I am new to the site, so I apologize if I am in the wrong place or have not
exercized the proper protocol.

I am having a series of problems with my cpu. I need to wipe out my C
drive and re-install Windows. I have made several attempts with the recovery
disc, all leading me to a blue screen. Now when attempting to run
installation I get an error message ql1080.sys is corrupted.

Any nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 4:25:03 PM

> I am having a series of problems with my cpu.

Well, if this is really your CPU (processor) which have problems then buy a
new one and replace it!

I think that this is not your CPU which have problem but your PC: your CPU
works because you can start the install.

>I need to wipe out my C
> drive and re-install Windows.

1/ I hope you have an IDE harddrive. Download maxllf.exe, this is a low
level format utility to erase the content of your harddrive. Launch it from a
dos disk you will have made from another computer (I suspect yours of having
a virus or some disk errors at least). Then wipe your harddisk(HD): this can
take some time at least 1 hour. You can find bootdisk already build at
www.bootdisk.com and maxllf.exe with google.

2/ After that, you'll know if your HD is ok or not. In the latter case, buy
a new one as having some errors means you'll have more and more soon. If your
HD is ok, then switch off your computer and switch it on after 30 secs.

3/ Insert your XP CD and go to the setup (press del to go there), go to boot
sequence option and choose your CD. Then the reinstallation will take place,
partition your HD with 3 partition at least (one for the OS, one for the
Data, one for the swap partition: virtual memory) using ntfs (harder for
virus to spread through) and then install XP inside the first one (you'll
need to format it using the slow format as the fast format will not work).

See you.
August 21, 2005 6:29:30 PM

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ql1080.sys+&btnG=G...

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"joonz" <joonz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am new to the site, so I apologize if I am in the wrong place or have
> not
> exercized the proper protocol.
>
> I am having a series of problems with my cpu. I need to wipe out my C
> drive and re-install Windows. I have made several attempts with the
> recovery
> disc, all leading me to a blue screen. Now when attempting to run
> installation I get an error message ql1080.sys is corrupted.
>
> Any nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 6:16:09 PM

"ep" wrote:

> > I am having a series of problems with my cpu.
>
> Well, if this is really your CPU (processor) which have problems then buy a
> new one and replace it!
>
> I think that this is not your CPU which have problem but your PC: your CPU
> works because you can start the install.
>
> >I need to wipe out my C
> > drive and re-install Windows.
>
> 1/ I hope you have an IDE harddrive. Download maxllf.exe, this is a low
> level format utility to erase the content of your harddrive. Launch it from a
> dos disk you will have made from another computer (I suspect yours of having
> a virus or some disk errors at least). Then wipe your harddisk(HD): this can
> take some time at least 1 hour. You can find bootdisk already build at
> www.bootdisk.com and maxllf.exe with google.
>
> 2/ After that, you'll know if your HD is ok or not. In the latter case, buy
> a new one as having some errors means you'll have more and more soon. If your
> HD is ok, then switch off your computer and switch it on after 30 secs.
>
> 3/ Insert your XP CD and go to the setup (press del to go there), go to boot
> sequence option and choose your CD. Then the reinstallation will take place,
> partition your HD with 3 partition at least (one for the OS, one for the
> Data, one for the swap partition: virtual memory) using ntfs (harder for
> virus to spread through) and then install XP inside the first one (you'll
> need to format it using the slow format as the fast format will not work).
>
> See you.

I appreciate your help, I will let you know how it turns out. It may be a
while though. thanks
!