Sign in with
Your question

Vote 16 or 32 bit color

Last response: in Video Games
March 17, 2002 11:24:43 PM

I run all my games in 16 bit color. I feel there isn't much difference and puts less stress on the card. I have a gf2 Ultra.

More about : vote bit color

March 18, 2002 1:14:22 AM

32-bit all the way.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
March 18, 2002 1:30:42 AM

I'll have to try 32 bit out on line with UT and see if it makes any difference, performance wise.
Related resources
March 18, 2002 1:51:49 AM

can't stand 16-bit. Too few colors.

Sig of the week.
March 18, 2002 6:23:58 AM

That card is meant for 32 bit. You might as well have bought an old voodoo card if you only want 16 bit.

<font color=red>If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</font color=red>
March 18, 2002 10:02:51 AM

The only reason I had it at 16 bit, because I figured that could be the difference between winning and losing with UT.
With a quick check at
1024-768 res.
16 bit 128 fps
32 bit 148 fps

My math is not the greatest, but I figure a difference of about 9%.

I tested UT in a rocket aria with 16 boots, with 16 and 32 bit.
16 bit 17 kills
32 bit 16 kills
So yes it makes a difference. Hehe joking with that example. I did notice a little difference, not much and that was under extreme circumstances. On the Net might make more difference.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 03/18/02 07:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 19, 2002 2:07:21 PM

Too few colors--LOL. I also run all my games in 16 bit mode. I much prefer higher resolutions and the cool special effects to higher bit depth. I have smooth gameplay at 1024x768 16bit. At 32 bit I have to lower the resolution on my Geforce2 GTS card or it becomes choppy when the action gets hot. LAG SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason I got a Geforce3 card was to up the resolution and turn on ALL the special effects, not the bit depth. Of course, all the games I play were only drawn in 16 bit color. What games are you guys playing that were really DRAWN in 32 bit color?

<i>Speed doesn't kill,</i> <b>lag does.</b> :cool: James
March 19, 2002 5:27:43 PM

Renegade, Max Payne, Giants, Warcraft 3 beta, and Independence War: Edge of Chaos all look significantly better in 32bit on a geforce 4TI and they actually run faster in 32 bit for me...of the wacky ass things...
March 20, 2002 1:45:02 AM

What if you took a new unseen game and hooked it to 2 identical sys, one at 16bit, other at 32bit and have people vote on which is which. That would be the ultimate truth test to this issue! My opinion only.
March 20, 2002 4:44:30 AM

What is roflm something?
Anyway perhaps my explanation is not clear?
March 20, 2002 12:34:05 PM

ROFLMAO- rolling oin floor laughing my ass off. It's your name that cracks me up. hehe

Sig of the week.
March 20, 2002 5:18:54 PM

I'd love to...just send me an identicle computer to the one i have and a beta i've never seen a screenshot of....hehe
March 20, 2002 8:40:43 PM

I took a couple snaps shots while playing Nascar 4 at the same location. Using 16 and 32 bit.

I looked at the gear shifter and the 32 bit was just a hair clearer. Also, I looked at a building that was off in the distant and the 16 bit was much better. It showed the building and writing on the building very clear, while the building and writing was blurry with 32 bit. This is with everything up and a resolution of 1800 1200. I rather have everything set high and use 16 bit.
This is with a gf2 Ultra card, now I'm sure a gf3 or gf4 would do better.
March 21, 2002 12:18:40 AM

I would, I see great differences.

Sig of the week.
March 21, 2002 3:09:46 PM

32Bit is better... unless U are looking a stuff designed for 16bit or less, then it looks a bit cr*p... streaks & lumps of the same colour where there should be finer detail...

---If at first you dont succeed... get a bigger hammer... that'll teach it !!!---
March 21, 2002 3:28:09 PM

If the game's designed to run in either, yes, i could tell the difference, its clear enough to me with the games i have i'm pretty confident of that. Side by Side, you can see a difference, note, looking at screenshots is a BAD BAD BAD way of judging it-) looking at two shots side by side of 16 and 32 bit i'd have to ask...which one is your monitor in when your comparing?
March 21, 2002 5:29:46 PM

Testing with what I have, my screen shot are correct. My conclusion is yes 32 bit looks better, but if you have everything turned up high, and a lot of graphics in the screen some things could become blurry, where in 16 bit they may not. At least that is my case in Nascar 4, using a gf2 ultra. I'm sure this will be true also to anything less then this card.
March 21, 2002 8:32:38 PM

I used to play with 16-bit colour on some games with my GF2MX-400. However, ever since I bought the R8500, I've been running everything at MAX detail at 1024*768*32 or more with 16X Aniso and sometimes 2X Quality Smoothvision for older games (Quake III, UT, etc).

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 22, 2002 1:16:31 PM

Even when I am looking at photos on my PC, the diffence between 16bit and 32bit color is not that great. Of course my Petra Nemcova background looks great in any color depth--black and white included. =)

Anyway, if I am just showing the game off to my friends, I will set it to 32bit color. But when I am actually playing, I much prefer smooth gameplay when the action is heavy to a slightly better image.

March 22, 2002 6:33:13 PM

I was told by a learned gentleman, that the human eye can't actually see 16.7 million colours. A baby might, but not a grown adult.

Perhaps hte brain fills the gaps because you <i>expect</i> to have better quality.

Again, this was 3 years ago, and rendering has come a long way. Perhaps you're right.

If I have stutters in a game, I set it to 32 and make my card do more work. This cuts down any stutters.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>
March 22, 2002 10:48:00 PM

The 32bit, at least on the majority of games where I have a choice, makes the gamma just a little darker. But, the 'smoothness' of the texturing increases just a little. There's some subtle reflections and shading that comes out in 32 bit. If you're hammering through a game because you just stopped by the bargin bin at www.selloutalltheoldnastygames.com, and have 4 others to hammer through before the week is out and you have to go back to the grinder, then maybe 16 bit color is the way to go.

If you're taking a 20 minute break to cap some punk a$$ lalammas on a work night, then you might do the 32 bit route.
March 25, 2002 8:10:28 PM

Our vision is analogue and not digital. We have 3 types of cones in our retina containing slightly different pigment that absorb in the blue, green, and red. However, when you look at the absorption curves there is considerable overlap. I have never read anywhere saying exactly how many colors we can see and I am not sure that really has any meaning in the way our eyes work. The way our brain is wired for vision gives us a remarkable ability to discriminate subtle differences.

Vernier acuity is our eyes ability to see a break in a line. We can see a break that is as small as 3 seconds of arc which is less that the separation of the photoreceptors in our eye. Color works similarly. Green is green until you take two greens and put them next to each other. Then you can pick up very subtle differences between them.

What this means is that if you are just looking at a 16bit image, it will look fine until you compare it to, say, a 32bit image. Then you will be able to detect subtle differences.

For me, when the action is hot and I have enemies to FRAG, I care about smooth gameplay, not subtle improvements in the scenery.

April 7, 2002 3:32:27 AM

16 bit color, ultra high res
!