SP2 Breaks MN-700/MN-720 Wireless

I have a Tosiba Satellite with a Microsoft MN-720 PCMCIA wireless NIC using a
MN-700 to connect to our LAN.

We use WPA and the lastest firmware on both the NIC and the router.

Since installing SP2 the NIC cannot pull a DHCP address nor can it connect
if given a static IP address.

This did not happen using either of the beta SP2's on the same notebook.

I am able to connect to the wireless network; however, will not pull an
address.

Help
10 answers Last reply
More about breaks wireless

    I have the same thing. SP2 has broken my wireless
    networking. I am also using the mn-700 AP.

    Occassionally, I will get a connection- but the system
    tray icon doesn't show that I'm connected, and the
    connection is quickly lost.

    I am very frustrated with this problem. I also was
    involved in the beta testing for SP2, and none of the
    betas broke my networking, including RC2.

    I believe the problem is the PCI card, because I pulled
    an old 802.11b router from my closet and tried to connect
    using that; again, I would get a connection for a while,
    and then it would blink out.

    Oh, one more thing. This problem happens when I use my mn-
    730 (the PCI card).

    I can confirm SP2 breaks the connection for my Intel
    Anypoint 2 wireless network as well. Hence my other post
    asking if the Microsoft hardware can ad-hoc, it would
    appear not if you have SP2 then.I tried restore, no joy,
    still can't see each other even with firewalls off.

    Double-check some of the basics, Phil: Same channel, same Workgroup, etc.
    I'm running SP2 on my LAN here, and have never had a break show up even with
    all the machines running the Windows Firewall separately.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I can confirm SP2 breaks the connection for my Intel
    > Anypoint 2 wireless network as well. Hence my other post
    > asking if the Microsoft hardware can ad-hoc, it would
    > appear not if you have SP2 then.I tried restore, no joy,
    > still can't see each other even with firewalls off.

    'fraid I checked all that Chris, it may be something to
    do with the proprietry Intel sharing software (it is
    pretty old kit now)
    I was looking to upgrade it anyway but I hate being
    defeated :-)

    Some people have seen signal strength problems with the new driver for the
    MN-720 and MN-730. You might want to try rolling back the driver to the
    previous version to see if that addresses the issue.

    --
    Neel Malik
    Program Manager

    "Martin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Oh, one more thing. This problem happens when I use my mn-
    > 730 (the PCI card).

    Do you have the same problem if you are not using WPA?
    Is the reported signal strength on the MN-720 good? If not, you might want
    to try rolling back the driver for the MN-720.
    Are you sure you have the correct WPA passphrase? If the passphrase is
    incorrect, you will get the behavior you are seeing.

    --
    Neel Malik
    Program Manager

    "MCSE2003-SP2-EARLY-ADOPTER"
    <MCSE2003-SP2-EARLY-ADOPTER@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Tosiba Satellite with a Microsoft MN-720 PCMCIA wireless NIC
    using a
    > MN-700 to connect to our LAN.
    >
    > We use WPA and the lastest firmware on both the NIC and the router.
    >
    > Since installing SP2 the NIC cannot pull a DHCP address nor can it connect
    > if given a static IP address.
    >
    > This did not happen using either of the beta SP2's on the same notebook.
    >
    > I am able to connect to the wireless network; however, will not pull an
    > address.
    >
    > Help
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Neel,

    My problem does not lie with signal strength, it lies
    with the fact that the entire connection is flaky.
    Sometimes it connects for a short while, but the icon on
    the system tray doesn't show that I am connected (yet I
    can connect to the internet). Sometimes it doesn't
    connect at all.

    I noticed that the new driver that came with the
    MSBNDownload update describes my MN730 adapter as
    a "Microsoft Wireless Notebook Adapter". Yet my adapter
    is the PCI adapter. I tried using the Update Driver
    feature from the Device Manager, and I was able to
    replace the newer driver with the old one. Still no luck.

    I purchased a Linksys USB Wireless G adapter today, and
    I'm going to test it tonight. If it works, I will have to
    assume that Microsoft released a poor driver for my PCI
    adapter.

    I wish there was a way that we users could know if
    Microsoft has heard our problems and is working on them.
    I hate the idea that I can't use my nice MN730 PCI
    adapters in XP SP2 (I own two of them).

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I would be very interested to learn the results of your testing with the
    other adapter. You did not indicate what type of security you are using. Are
    you using WPA, WEP, or none? Do your results change if you use another type
    of security.

    Do you or your neighbors have any 2.4GHz cordless phones, video cameras,
    speakers, or baby monitors?
    Have you tried changing channels on the MN-700?
    How many wireless networks can you see?

    --
    Neel Malik
    Program Manager

    "Martin" <occulis.fremeni@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Neel,
    >
    > My problem does not lie with signal strength, it lies
    > with the fact that the entire connection is flaky.
    > Sometimes it connects for a short while, but the icon on
    > the system tray doesn't show that I am connected (yet I
    > can connect to the internet). Sometimes it doesn't
    > connect at all.
    >
    > I noticed that the new driver that came with the
    > MSBNDownload update describes my MN730 adapter as
    > a "Microsoft Wireless Notebook Adapter". Yet my adapter
    > is the PCI adapter. I tried using the Update Driver
    > feature from the Device Manager, and I was able to
    > replace the newer driver with the old one. Still no luck.
    >
    > I purchased a Linksys USB Wireless G adapter today, and
    > I'm going to test it tonight. If it works, I will have to
    > assume that Microsoft released a poor driver for my PCI
    > adapter.
    >
    > I wish there was a way that we users could know if
    > Microsoft has heard our problems and is working on them.
    > I hate the idea that I can't use my nice MN730 PCI
    > adapters in XP SP2 (I own two of them).

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    You might see if powering off and powering up the MN-700
    allows you to connect once from the MN-720. Just to see
    if the problem is with the 700 or 720.This isn't a
    solution, just a test. Who wants to reboot a router every
    time you turn on another computer.
    Good luck, they're neat but frustrating pieces of kit.

    and
    >confers no rights.
    >>

    >>"Martin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >message
    >>> Oh, one more thing. This problem happens when I use
    my
    >mn-
    >>> 730 (the PCI card).

Routers Connection Networking