Sign in with
Your question

How to make hard drive main drive

Last response: in Windows 7
November 1, 2012 5:28:10 PM

i have an ssd and a hard drive and i want windows 7 and a couple games on the ssd, but everything i download savfes to my ssd by default, how can i make it so that windows still loads off my ssd but i make my hard drive default drive. cause it would be alot easier to move the things i want onto the ssd from the hard drive then to move everything i dont want on the ssd onto the hard drive

More about : make hard drive main drive

November 1, 2012 5:42:35 PM

go to bios and make HDD as primary and ssd as slave. See if that helps.
m
l
Related resources
November 1, 2012 6:16:03 PM

Why don't you just change your default download location in your web browser? Also set your hard drive as the default for things like utorrent, etc

m
l
November 1, 2012 6:19:55 PM

did that, but i want all downloads to go to the hard drive, like form steam and stuff also
m
l
November 1, 2012 7:21:08 PM

lookerup said:
go to bios and make HDD as primary and ssd as slave. See if that helps.

how can i do that in the asus uefi bios
m
l
November 1, 2012 7:30:32 PM

it should be under boot tab or something like that. Then you should be able to change priority of the drive.
m
l
November 1, 2012 7:34:48 PM

i couldnt find that, and i changed it to ide mode instead of ahci or whatever and now it says windows failed to load
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2012 7:36:40 PM

If you change your default boot device, it won't boot anymore. I thought you said you WANT to boot from the SSD?
m
l
November 1, 2012 7:44:37 PM

i do, and i didnt change the boot device i changed the mode to ide or whatever, and i changed it back and it still wont boot, i hate myself right now, i had it all figured out half hour ago and now i screwed it up, it was downloading a bunch of games which i had to delete cause i had to reinstall windows. and its gonna take me forever to download them again!!! GGRRHH! :( 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2012 7:54:53 PM

Go back up to the link I posted earlier and look through some of the articles, They should help get you set up and using the SSD efficiently. If you make these changes before you install any applications it will put them wherever you want.

Also there is a program called stem mover(google it). It was designed for steam games, but will work for any application. It makes it easy to create junction points and move the data from drive to drive and the applications will still work fine.
m
l
November 1, 2012 8:10:06 PM

lookerup said:
it should be under boot tab or something like that. Then you should be able to change priority of the drive.

Why are you instructing the user to do something completely unrelated to their question?

Computernoot, all you need to do is go into your user folder, a quick way of accessing that is going into your documents folder, then pressing back space.

You will see your user folder with Downloads, Documents, Music, Photos and videos. Just right click them and select properties. When the properties menu appears you will see a tab that says location.

It will say "C:\Documents\YourUserHere\Documents".

You just need to change the first letter "C:\" to "D:\" and it will ask if you wish to create the folder, accept. It will ask if you wish to move all the files from the old location to the new one. Again accept.

Repeat this for all multimedia folders you have, simply changing the "C:\" to "D:\" and they will be stored on your Hard Drive now instead of the Solid State Drive. They will still function the exact same upon opening the folder, except you have freed up SSD space.

Now for Steam, you will need to backup your game library.

The game library is located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" by default if it's on your main drive (SSD)
First begin by copying the "Steamapps" folder, the whole thing. Into any spot on the D drive.

Proceed to close your Steam client, and re-run the Steam installer, un-installing Steam.
After that has finished, run it once more. But this time ensure you select the steam installation directory to be
"D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam"
Now you have re-installed steam onto your Hard Drive, right click where you backed up your steamapps folder, select cut and paste it into your new steam directory on your Hard Drive.

If steam is already active, restart the program and ensure your games work. If everything is in working order, you can delete any leftovers there may be from the original install. The directory to delete is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" To ensure the games aren't still taking up space on the SSD.

Voila! You are done! Everything has been properly relocated from your SSD to your HDD, with your Operating System and applications remaining on the SSD!
m
l
!