Do high tap settings exist in modern pins?

I have a '93 BSD and the coils are firing a lot harder than I remember.

After I shoot the Mist multiball hole and it shoots back out to the
left flipper lane about 30% of the time it'll shaft down the left side
( I don't recall this happing when I played years ago). The track is
fine, it's just shooting it out very fast causing it to bounce around.

I don't have a schematic & looked on ipdb and didn't see anything
relating to this in the online manual. I do see the transformer has a
110 & 115v setting. My plug to the transformer does have what looks
like two jumpers on one side, but it doesn't appear to be a hack job.

Thanks in advance.

Chas
8 answers Last reply
More about high settings exist modern pins

    I'm sure your game is fine. You can measure your line voltage and see what
    you game is wired for, then refer to Clay's site if you need to change the
    connectors on the plug involved. LTG :)

    "m6onz5a" <corvair@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have a '93 BSD and the coils are firing a lot harder than I remember.
    >
    > After I shoot the Mist multiball hole and it shoots back out to the
    > left flipper lane about 30% of the time it'll shaft down the left side
    > ( I don't recall this happing when I played years ago). The track is
    > fine, it's just shooting it out very fast causing it to bounce around.
    >
    > I don't have a schematic & looked on ipdb and didn't see anything
    > relating to this in the online manual. I do see the transformer has a
    > 110 & 115v setting. My plug to the transformer does have what looks
    > like two jumpers on one side, but it doesn't appear to be a hack job.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Chas

    <<The low voltage tap on electronic machines isn't for the solenoids
    at all; it's to boost up the incoming voltage so that the electronics
    don't
    reset! >>

    When I set it to high on old electronic games like Sterns and Ballys I
    can easily tell the difference in coil power, so....(?)

    BSD has a funky design error imo on the left sling shot plastic. If you
    look at the left side of the sling shot where the ball comes out of the
    wire ramp, often the ball coming out of this wire ramp collides with
    the sling shot plastic. This can make the ball bounce around funny,
    jump into the outlane, or even pick up enough backaspin to roll up and
    out of the inlane.

    Check your sling plastic and ajust it if needed - on some game you
    might have to dremel the sling screw holes to make it work right.

    Plastic is fine.. It's just shooting out REAL FAST.

    I was thinking about bending the rail at the end up a little bit so the
    ball will land further in the lane, but it might hit the plastics if I
    do this.

    chas

    Remember your basics guys!

    Unregulated voltages will follow the incoming AC level in. Think of it
    in variac terms. If you put 120 in, and your supposed to get 48 out,
    what do you think is going to happen when you put 130 in? It's a
    transformer. It doesn't matter if it's EM or WPC, a transformer is a
    transformer.

    On the regulated side you can go out of regulation if you drop below
    the threshold, and create damage if you go above.

    Mario
    Pinthetic

    "m6onz5a" <corvair@comcast.net> wrote in news:1121018034.296357.192740
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > I have a '93 BSD and the coils are firing a lot harder than I remember.
    >
    > After I shoot the Mist multiball hole and it shoots back out to the
    > left flipper lane about 30% of the time it'll shaft down the left side
    > ( I don't recall this happing when I played years ago). The track is
    > fine, it's just shooting it out very fast causing it to bounce around.
    >
    > I don't have a schematic & looked on ipdb and didn't see anything
    > relating to this in the online manual. I do see the transformer has a
    > 110 & 115v setting. My plug to the transformer does have what looks
    > like two jumpers on one side, but it doesn't appear to be a hack job.

    Sort of, but they don't do what you're thinking of. The hi-tap setting on
    EMs is to compensate for low line voltage, thus making everything kick
    harder. The low voltage tap on electronic machines isn't for the solenoids
    at all; it's to boost up the incoming voltage so that the electronics don't
    reset!

    on EM's it doesn't do much damage...but on WPC, hi tapping when you don't
    need to causes accelerated bulb failure, browning coils and a overheated
    situation in backbox.
    "frenchy" <mf101723@msn.com> wrote in message
    > <<The low voltage tap on electronic machines isn't for the solenoids
    > at all; it's to boost up the incoming voltage so that the electronics
    > don't
    > reset! >>
    >
    > When I set it to high on old electronic games like Sterns and Ballys I
    > can easily tell the difference in coil power, so....(?)

    Well, I was able to cut down the shafting by 90%. Just adjusted the
    chute back & forth and kept testing it. Now for that 10%.... :)

    Chas

Games Video Games