Upgrading and the future

Homeless_Jack

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
Like some of you here I'm plagued with an out of date system and am looking for a smart upgrade, and can't really decide on an AthlonXP now, or to wait and see about the Athlon64. I think there was a thread on this earlier but I'm still confused about several things. Will the first A64's use the same socket940 the Opterons use now? I read on the inquirer something about socket939 and 754, too, so if anyone can clear that up thanks.

Another thing is, how long will it take before there are 64-bit versions of most programs (photoshop, etc...) available so the A64 can truly spread its wings? Would I be better off sticking to a 32-bit P4 system right now, with an upgrade to prescott down the line? Will current P4 motherboards even support prescott with a simple bios upgrade, or will prescott use a new socket as well? I just don't want to spend a lot of money only to find myself in September without all the wonderful things I could have had.

Jason555

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2003
I am in the same boat as you. I have been doing a lot of research on this and from everything that I have read it looks like your best bet for now and the future is to go with a Pentium 4. you can get a pentium 4 2.4 GHZ w/ 800 FSB for about $175. and you can get a good MSI or Asus MB for about $100-$150. and most of those will support the new pentium processor due out at the end of this year. making a processor upgrade easy. and the pentium 2.4 will still outperfrom most of the Athlon XP prcessory evcept for mabey the 3000 and 32000. but you can overclock it to about 2.8 and then that will be faster than anything athlon has right now. and the Athlon 64 does not look like it is going to be as amazing as many people may think. but I think your best bet for now and the long term is to go with a pentium stystem. that is what I plan on doing.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
You should just wait until 64-bit softwares come out, maybe next year. And to the fact the Athlon 64 will be the most expensive processor from AMD this september, it's better to go with a P4 @ 2.4C.

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
but I think your best bet for now and the <b>long term</b> is to go with a pentium stystem.
hmm.. makes me wonder how long is the <b>long term</b>, given the rapid advances in tech.

me says: If it was not for <b><font color=red>C</font color=red></b>, we wud be using <font color=blue><b>BASI, PASAL & OBOL</font color=blue></b>
<b>slvr_phoenix</b> says: But I'd still be using Python. :p

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
When you're talking about this stuff, long term is about 2 weeks I reckon.
now i wonder how long wud a <b>short term</b> upgrade last :wink:

me says: If it was not for <b><font color=red>C</font color=red></b>, we wud be using <font color=blue><b>BASI, PASAL & OBOL</font color=blue></b>

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
LOL

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Hm... ow, no, that can't be, then my short term is actually longer than the long term (two weeks) :frown: ...

Anyway, I agree. The P4 seems to be the most future-proof choice, largely because it is really not a shot in the dark.

Also, even AMD's best predictions assume that, by early 2004, only 20% of all software will be available for 64-bit computing. And in typical 32-bit software, the A64 will simply get crushed by "Scotty, the heavyweight", a.k.a. Prescott, unless something changes radically from here to september.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Intel is going to bypass Scotty an bring out Tejas.
No! No! They can't do that! We've not yet decided on the final version of our Tejas nickname! Mean people at Intel. They have to give us time to come up with nicknames, or we won't have any fun! :smile:

Anyway, I think Tejas will be out about a year after prescott - which puts it in late 2004 or early 2005, depending on how needy Intel is in its competition with AMD (yawn)...

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
So we're left with...
Mr T
TJ
Ted
Teddy
Hm... Tetchy for the celeron Tejas, maybe?... TJ is not bad!... Maybe we should list our options and post another poll... or maybe just a thread. :smile: