SFC Scannow ?

Greetings All,
I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS already
installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at the system
event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of 7011. I could not
find information that was detailed and specific enough to help me. Out of
curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues would arise from that.
When it got near the end of running it discovered a half-dozen DLL's that
were missing that "may cause windows to not function correctly". No details
were given as to what DLL's were missinng it simply asked for disc 2 of the
XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc set because the OS and recovery
partition are pre installed. I did not see any way to browse for the files
that are missing.
Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
to purchase XP pro?
Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
capabilities in MCE2005?
Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are missing
so that I can replace them manually?

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
Mark N.
17 answers Last reply

    You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when you run the
    System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;897128

    7011 without the Event Source means nothing.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uU9M8DopFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    M8RIX <mn8r1@home.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Greetings All,
    > I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS
    > already installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at
    > the system event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of
    > 7011. I could not find information that was detailed and specific enough
    > to help me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues
    > would arise from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered
    > a half-dozen DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not
    > function correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were missinng
    > it simply asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc
    > set because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed. I did not
    > see any way to browse for the files that are missing.
    > Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
    > to purchase XP pro?
    > Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
    > capabilities in MCE2005?
    > Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
    > missing so that I can replace them manually?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    > --
    > Mark N.

    Hi,

    Event ID: 7011
    http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=7011&source=

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "M8RIX" <mn8r1@home.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings All,
    > I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS already
    > installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at the
    > system event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of 7011. I
    > could not find information that was detailed and specific enough to help
    > me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues would arise
    > from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered a half-dozen
    > DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not function
    > correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were missinng it simply
    > asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc set
    > because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed. I did not see any
    > way to browse for the files that are missing.
    > Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
    > to purchase XP pro?
    > Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
    > capabilities in MCE2005?
    > Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
    > missing so that I can replace them manually?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    > --
    > Mark N.

    M8

    You do not have to be in possession of an XP CD if you follow the
    instructions on this website..

    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "M8RIX" <mn8r1@home.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings All,
    > I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS already
    > installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at the
    > system event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of 7011. I
    > could not find information that was detailed and specific enough to help
    > me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues would arise
    > from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered a half-dozen
    > DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not function
    > correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were missinng it simply
    > asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc set
    > because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed. I did not see any
    > way to browse for the files that are missing.
    > Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
    > to purchase XP pro?
    > Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
    > capabilities in MCE2005?
    > Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
    > missing so that I can replace them manually?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    > --
    > Mark N.

    You want to see them manually you need to run the following.

    In the Command Prompt not in Run

    type in sfc /purgecache

    when done next in the COMMAND PROMPT ONLY

    sfc /scannow

    Any files missing will then pop up there for you in the CMD Prompt
    --
    Peter

    "M8RIX" <mn8r1@home.com> wrote in message news:uU9M8DopFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Greetings All,
    > I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS already
    > installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at the system
    > event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of 7011. I could not
    > find information that was detailed and specific enough to help me. Out of
    > curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues would arise from that.
    > When it got near the end of running it discovered a half-dozen DLL's that
    > were missing that "may cause windows to not function correctly". No details
    > were given as to what DLL's were missinng it simply asked for disc 2 of the
    > XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc set because the OS and recovery
    > partition are pre installed. I did not see any way to browse for the files
    > that are missing.
    > Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
    > to purchase XP pro?
    > Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
    > capabilities in MCE2005?
    > Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are missing
    > so that I can replace them manually?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    > --
    > Mark N.

    Thanks to all that replied.
    The information was all good except for the link provided by Wesley Vogel
    which applied only to XP Home Edition.
    I solved the problem with SFC requiring a XP Pro disc by copying the I386
    folder from my recovery partition to C:\ drive and changing the path in the
    registry key HKLM>software>microsoft>windows>current
    version>setup>sourcepath from C:\windows to C:\.
    SFC /scannow ran successfully with no errors or other additional
    requirements.

    However, back to my original problem, I still get the error message in the
    system event viewer log (Event ID 7011). The error occurs every 30 minutes
    almost to the second without fail.
    None of the information in the link provided by Kelly seems applicable to
    the software running on my computer so the only clue I have is the
    regularity of the error itself.
    I do use Spybot S&D in my HOSTS file but I don't think this is the problem
    in my case because I run S&D on another nearly identical computer without
    any similar errors.
    Does anyone else have any idea why this error would occur on such a regular
    schedule or what I could do to narrow my search for the culprit?

    Thanks again.
    --
    Mark N.
    (P.S. The main difference between my two computers is that one is hard-wired
    "M8RIX" <mn8r1@home.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings All,
    > I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS already
    > installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at the
    > system event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of 7011. I
    > could not find information that was detailed and specific enough to help
    > me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues would arise
    > from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered a half-dozen
    > DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not function
    > correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were missinng it simply
    > asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc set
    > because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed. I did not see any
    > way to browse for the files that are missing.
    > Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
    > to purchase XP pro?
    > Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
    > capabilities in MCE2005?
    > Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
    > missing so that I can replace them manually?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    > --
    > Mark N.

    >I still get the error message in the system event viewer log (Event ID
    >7011). The error occurs every 30 minutes almost to the second without fail.

    XP users go years without even knowing about that log and none the better.
    If you aren't having any outstanding issues, ignore them.

    --

    > Thanks to all that replied.
    > The information was all good except for the link provided by Wesley Vogel
    > which applied only to XP Home Edition.
    > I solved the problem with SFC requiring a XP Pro disc by copying the I386
    > folder from my recovery partition to C:\ drive and changing the path in
    > the registry key HKLM>software>microsoft>windows>current
    > version>setup>sourcepath from C:\windows to C:\.
    > SFC /scannow ran successfully with no errors or other additional
    > requirements.
    >
    > However, back to my original problem, I still get the error message in the
    > system event viewer log (Event ID 7011). The error occurs every 30 minutes
    > almost to the second without fail.
    > None of the information in the link provided by Kelly seems applicable to
    > the software running on my computer so the only clue I have is the
    > regularity of the error itself.
    > I do use Spybot S&D in my HOSTS file but I don't think this is the problem
    > in my case because I run S&D on another nearly identical computer without
    > any similar errors.
    > Does anyone else have any idea why this error would occur on such a
    > regular schedule or what I could do to narrow my search for the culprit?
    >
    > Thanks again.
    > --
    > Mark N.
    > (P.S. The main difference between my two computers is that one is
    > hard-wired to my cable router, while the one with the errors connects to
    > the router wirelessly. I dont know if that helps at all.)
    > "M8RIX" <mn8r1@home.com> wrote in message
    >> Greetings All,
    >> I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS
    >> already installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at
    >> the system event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of
    >> 7011. I could not find information that was detailed and specific enough
    >> to help me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues
    >> would arise from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered
    >> a half-dozen DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not
    >> function correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were missinng
    >> it simply asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc
    >> set because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed. I did not
    >> see any way to browse for the files that are missing.
    >> Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
    >> to purchase XP pro?
    >> Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
    >> capabilities in MCE2005?
    >> Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
    >> missing so that I can replace them manually?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >> --
    >> Mark N.

    Post here:-

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    M8RIX wrote:
    > Greetings All,
    > I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS already
    > installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at the system
    > event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of 7011. I could not
    > find information that was detailed and specific enough to help me. Out of
    > curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues would arise from that.
    > When it got near the end of running it discovered a half-dozen DLL's that
    > were missing that "may cause windows to not function correctly". No details
    > were given as to what DLL's were missinng it simply asked for disc 2 of the
    > XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc set because the OS and recovery
    > partition are pre installed. I did not see any way to browse for the files
    > that are missing.
    > Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
    > to purchase XP pro?
    > Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
    > capabilities in MCE2005?
    > Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are missing
    > so that I can replace them manually?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    > --
    > Mark N.

    That is because Wesley Vogel can't read English.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OQedvJtpFHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    M8RIX <mn8r1@home.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks to all that replied.
    > The information was all good except for the link provided by Wesley Vogel
    > which applied only to XP Home Edition.
    > I solved the problem with SFC requiring a XP Pro disc by copying the I386
    > folder from my recovery partition to C:\ drive and changing the path in
    > the registry key HKLM>software>microsoft>windows>current
    > version>setup>sourcepath from C:\windows to C:\.
    > SFC /scannow ran successfully with no errors or other additional
    > requirements.
    >
    > However, back to my original problem, I still get the error message in the
    > system event viewer log (Event ID 7011). The error occurs every 30 minutes
    > almost to the second without fail.
    > None of the information in the link provided by Kelly seems applicable to
    > the software running on my computer so the only clue I have is the
    > regularity of the error itself.
    > I do use Spybot S&D in my HOSTS file but I don't think this is the problem
    > in my case because I run S&D on another nearly identical computer without
    > any similar errors.
    > Does anyone else have any idea why this error would occur on such a
    > regular schedule or what I could do to narrow my search for the culprit?
    >
    > Thanks again.
    > --
    > Mark N.
    > (P.S. The main difference between my two computers is that one is
    > hard-wired to my cable router, while the one with the errors connects to
    > the router wirelessly. I dont know if that helps at all.)
    > "M8RIX" <mn8r1@home.com> wrote in message
    >> Greetings All,
    >> I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS
    >> already installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at
    >> the system event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of
    >> 7011. I could not find information that was detailed and specific enough
    >> to help me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues
    >> would arise from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered
    >> a half-dozen DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not
    >> function correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were
    >> missinng it simply asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a
    >> XP Pro disc set because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed.
    >> I did not see any way to browse for the files that are missing.
    >> Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
    >> to purchase XP pro?
    >> Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
    >> capabilities in MCE2005?
    >> Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
    >> missing so that I can replace them manually?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >> --
    >> Mark N.

    ..... a fact that could be pivotal in locating XP drivers for old 'parallel'
    scanners.. :-)

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    :-p

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:O3w1fYzpFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > .... a fact that could be pivotal in locating XP drivers for old
    > 'parallel' scanners.. :-)
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User

    >> That is because Wesley Vogel can't read English.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:OQedvJtpFHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> M8RIX <mn8r1@home.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Thanks to all that replied.
    >>> The information was all good except for the link provided by Wesley
    >>> Vogel which applied only to XP Home Edition.
    >>> I solved the problem with SFC requiring a XP Pro disc by copying the
    >>> I386 folder from my recovery partition to C:\ drive and changing the
    >>> path in the registry key HKLM>software>microsoft>windows>current
    >>> version>setup>sourcepath from C:\windows to C:\.
    >>> SFC /scannow ran successfully with no errors or other additional
    >>> requirements.
    >>>
    >>> However, back to my original problem, I still get the error message in
    >>> the
    >>> system event viewer log (Event ID 7011). The error occurs every 30
    >>> minutes
    >>> almost to the second without fail.
    >>> None of the information in the link provided by Kelly seems applicable
    >>> to the software running on my computer so the only clue I have is the
    >>> regularity of the error itself.
    >>> I do use Spybot S&D in my HOSTS file but I don't think this is the
    >>> problem
    >>> in my case because I run S&D on another nearly identical computer
    >>> without any similar errors.
    >>> Does anyone else have any idea why this error would occur on such a
    >>> regular schedule or what I could do to narrow my search for the culprit?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again.
    >>> --
    >>> Mark N.
    >>> (P.S. The main difference between my two computers is that one is
    >>> hard-wired to my cable router, while the one with the errors connects to
    >>> the router wirelessly. I dont know if that helps at all.)
    >>> "M8RIX" <mn8r1@home.com> wrote in message

    Actually, this is a very common issue if a certain Lexmark program is
    installed and running (that I can't think of the name at the moment). :o(

    --

> [...]
    >>> to help me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues
    >>> would arise from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered
    >>> a half-dozen DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not
    >>> function correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were
    >>> missinng it simply asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a
    >>> XP Pro disc set because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed.
    >>> I did not see any way to browse for the files that are missing.
    >>> Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without
    >>> having to purchase XP pro?
    >>> Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
    >>> capabilities in MCE2005?
    >>> Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
    >>> missing so that I can replace them manually?

    Oh? Does this make sense then?

    Esway, ouyay owknay atthay eway allway appreciateway ethay
    imetay atthay ouyay ivegay erehay. Atthay aidsay, eesay ifway
    Opray owsshay upway elowbay:

    Onay etailsday ereway ivengay asway otay atwhay DLL'say ereway
    issinngmay itway implysay askedway orfay iscday 2 ofway ethay
    XPAY Opray etsay. Iway oday otnay avehay away XPAY Opray iscday
    etsay ecausebay ethay OSWAY andway ecoveryray artitionpay areway
    epray installedway.

    Iway idday otnay eesay anyway ayway otay owsebray orfay ethay
    ilesfay atthay areway issingmay.

    Isway erethay anway alternateway ayway ofway eplacingray osethay
    issingmay ilesfay ithoutway avinghay otay urchasepay XPAY opray?

    --

    Kelly wrote:

    > Oh? Does this make sense then?
    >
    > Esway, ouyay owknay atthay eway allway appreciateway ethay
    > imetay atthay ouyay ivegay erehay. Atthay aidsay, eesay ifway
    > Opray owsshay upway elowbay:

    But can you tuna fish?

    Hi Kelly,

    %homedrive%\I386

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
    CDInstall 0
    SourcePath C:\
    ServicePackSourcePath C:\

    My pig latin is a little rusty. Sheesh! My eyes are crossed. How long did
    it take you to write this?

    ....that said, see if Opr shows up below:

    On details were given as to what DLL's were
    missing it simply asked for disc 2 of the
    XP Opr set. I do not have a XP Opr disc
    set because the OS and recovery partition are
    pre installed.

    I did not see any way to browse for the
    files that are missing.

    Is there any alternate way of replacing those
    missing files without having to purchase XP opr?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OZGwxjHqFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

    No, but you can tune a piano. :o)
    --

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Kelly wrote:
    >>
    >> Oh? Does this make sense then?
    >>
    >> Esway, ouyay owknay atthay eway allway appreciateway ethay
    >> imetay atthay ouyay ivegay erehay. Atthay aidsay, eesay ifway
    >> Opray owsshay upway elowbay:
    >
    > But can you tuna fish?

    Was just messin' around, Wes. :o)

    --

    > Hi Kelly,
    >
    > %homedrive%\I386
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
    > CDInstall 0
    > SourcePath C:\
    > ServicePackSourcePath C:\
    >
    > My pig latin is a little rusty. Sheesh! My eyes are crossed. How long
    > did
    > it take you to write this?
    >
    > ...that said, see if Opr shows up below:
    >
    > On details were given as to what DLL's were
    > missing it simply asked for disc 2 of the
    > XP Opr set. I do not have a XP Opr disc
    > set because the OS and recovery partition are
    > pre installed.
    >
    > I did not see any way to browse for the
    > files that are missing.
    >
    > Is there any alternate way of replacing those
    > missing files without having to purchase XP opr?
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:OZGwxjHqFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> Oh? Does this make sense then?
    >>
    >> Esway, ouyay owknay atthay eway allway appreciateway ethay
    >> imetay atthay ouyay ivegay erehay. Atthay aidsay, eesay ifway
    >> Opray owsshay upway elowbay:
    >>
    >> Onay etailsday ereway ivengay asway otay atwhay DLL'say ereway
    >> issinngmay itway implysay askedway orfay iscday 2 ofway ethay
    >> XPAY Opray etsay. Iway oday otnay avehay away XPAY Opray iscday
    >> etsay ecausebay ethay OSWAY andway ecoveryray artitionpay areway
    >> epray installedway.
    >>
    >> Iway idday otnay eesay anyway ayway otay owsebray orfay ethay
    >> ilesfay atthay areway issingmay.
    >>
    >> Isway erethay anway alternateway ayway ofway eplacingray osethay
    >> issingmay ilesfay ithoutway avinghay otay urchasepay XPAY opray?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

    >>> That is because Wesley Vogel can't read English.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:OQedvJtpFHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >>> M8RIX <mn8r1@home.com> hunted and pecked:

    Well, Kelly, my eyes finally uncrossed. I was worried. <LOL>

    Remember when you were a kid and your Mom told you that if you kept doing
    that, they would stay that way. Heck, you've probably told your kids that.
    ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes