SFC Scannow ?

August 21, 2005 3:48:57 PM

Greetings All,
I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS already
installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at the system
event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of 7011. I could not
find information that was detailed and specific enough to help me. Out of
curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues would arise from that.
When it got near the end of running it discovered a half-dozen DLL's that
were missing that "may cause windows to not function correctly". No details
were given as to what DLL's were missinng it simply asked for disc 2 of the
XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc set because the OS and recovery
partition are pre installed. I did not see any way to browse for the files
that are missing.
Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
to purchase XP pro?
Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
capabilities in MCE2005?
Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are missing
so that I can replace them manually?

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
Mark N.

More about : sfc scannow

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 5:26:56 PM

You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when you run the
System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;897128

7011 without the Event Source means nothing.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uU9M8DopFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
M8RIX <mn8r1@home.com> hunted and pecked:
> Greetings All,
> I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS
> already installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at
> the system event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of
> 7011. I could not find information that was detailed and specific enough
> to help me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues
> would arise from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered
> a half-dozen DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not
> function correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were missinng
> it simply asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc
> set because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed. I did not
> see any way to browse for the files that are missing.
> Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
> to purchase XP pro?
> Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
> capabilities in MCE2005?
> Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
> missing so that I can replace them manually?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> --
> Mark N.
August 21, 2005 6:26:31 PM

Hi,

Event ID: 7011
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=7011&source=

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"M8RIX" <mn8r1@home.com> wrote in message
> Greetings All,
> I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS already
> installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at the
> system event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of 7011. I
> could not find information that was detailed and specific enough to help
> me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues would arise
> from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered a half-dozen
> DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not function
> correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were missinng it simply
> asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc set
> because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed. I did not see any
> way to browse for the files that are missing.
> Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
> to purchase XP pro?
> Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
> capabilities in MCE2005?
> Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
> missing so that I can replace them manually?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> --
> Mark N.

August 21, 2005 7:39:46 PM

M8

You do not have to be in possession of an XP CD if you follow the
instructions on this website..

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"M8RIX" <mn8r1@home.com> wrote in message
> Greetings All,
> I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS already
> installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at the
> system event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of 7011. I
> could not find information that was detailed and specific enough to help
> me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues would arise
> from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered a half-dozen
> DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not function
> correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were missinng it simply
> asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc set
> because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed. I did not see any
> way to browse for the files that are missing.
> Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
> to purchase XP pro?
> Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
> capabilities in MCE2005?
> Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
> missing so that I can replace them manually?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> --
> Mark N.

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 7:51:33 PM

You want to see them manually you need to run the following.

In the Command Prompt not in Run

type in sfc /purgecache

when done next in the COMMAND PROMPT ONLY

sfc /scannow

Any files missing will then pop up there for you in the CMD Prompt
--
Peter

"M8RIX" <mn8r1@home.com> wrote in message news:uU9M8DopFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Greetings All,
> I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS already
> installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at the system
> event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of 7011. I could not
> find information that was detailed and specific enough to help me. Out of
> curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues would arise from that.
> When it got near the end of running it discovered a half-dozen DLL's that
> were missing that "may cause windows to not function correctly". No details
> were given as to what DLL's were missinng it simply asked for disc 2 of the
> XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc set because the OS and recovery
> partition are pre installed. I did not see any way to browse for the files
> that are missing.
> Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
> to purchase XP pro?
> Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
> capabilities in MCE2005?
> Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are missing
> so that I can replace them manually?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> --
> Mark N.

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 1:32:00 AM

Thanks to all that replied.
The information was all good except for the link provided by Wesley Vogel
which applied only to XP Home Edition.
I solved the problem with SFC requiring a XP Pro disc by copying the I386
folder from my recovery partition to C:\ drive and changing the path in the
registry key HKLM>software>microsoft>windows>current
version>setup>sourcepath from C:\windows to C:\.
SFC /scannow ran successfully with no errors or other additional
requirements.

However, back to my original problem, I still get the error message in the
system event viewer log (Event ID 7011). The error occurs every 30 minutes
almost to the second without fail.
None of the information in the link provided by Kelly seems applicable to
the software running on my computer so the only clue I have is the
regularity of the error itself.
I do use Spybot S&D in my HOSTS file but I don't think this is the problem
in my case because I run S&D on another nearly identical computer without
any similar errors.
Does anyone else have any idea why this error would occur on such a regular
schedule or what I could do to narrow my search for the culprit?

Thanks again.
--
Mark N.
(P.S. The main difference between my two computers is that one is hard-wired
"M8RIX" <mn8r1@home.com> wrote in message
> Greetings All,
> I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS already
> installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at the
> system event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of 7011. I
> could not find information that was detailed and specific enough to help
> me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues would arise
> from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered a half-dozen
> DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not function
> correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were missinng it simply
> asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc set
> because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed. I did not see any
> way to browse for the files that are missing.
> Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
> to purchase XP pro?
> Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
> capabilities in MCE2005?
> Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
> missing so that I can replace them manually?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> --
> Mark N.

August 22, 2005 5:02:42 AM

>I still get the error message in the system event viewer log (Event ID
>7011). The error occurs every 30 minutes almost to the second without fail.

XP users go years without even knowing about that log and none the better.
If you aren't having any outstanding issues, ignore them.

--

news:o QedvJtpFHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Thanks to all that replied.
> The information was all good except for the link provided by Wesley Vogel
> which applied only to XP Home Edition.
> I solved the problem with SFC requiring a XP Pro disc by copying the I386
> folder from my recovery partition to C:\ drive and changing the path in
> the registry key HKLM>software>microsoft>windows>current
> version>setup>sourcepath from C:\windows to C:\.
> SFC /scannow ran successfully with no errors or other additional
> requirements.
>
> However, back to my original problem, I still get the error message in the
> system event viewer log (Event ID 7011). The error occurs every 30 minutes
> almost to the second without fail.
> None of the information in the link provided by Kelly seems applicable to
> the software running on my computer so the only clue I have is the
> regularity of the error itself.
> I do use Spybot S&D in my HOSTS file but I don't think this is the problem
> in my case because I run S&D on another nearly identical computer without
> any similar errors.
> Does anyone else have any idea why this error would occur on such a
> regular schedule or what I could do to narrow my search for the culprit?
>
> Thanks again.
> --
> Mark N.
> (P.S. The main difference between my two computers is that one is
> hard-wired to my cable router, while the one with the errors connects to
> the router wirelessly. I dont know if that helps at all.)
> "M8RIX" <mn8r1@home.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings All,
>> I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS
>> already installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at
>> the system event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of
>> 7011. I could not find information that was detailed and specific enough
>> to help me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues
>> would arise from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered
>> a half-dozen DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not
>> function correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were missinng
>> it simply asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc
>> set because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed. I did not
>> see any way to browse for the files that are missing.
>> Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
>> to purchase XP pro?
>> Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
>> capabilities in MCE2005?
>> Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
>> missing so that I can replace them manually?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>> --
>> Mark N.

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 9:53:27 AM

Post here:-

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

M8RIX wrote:
> Greetings All,
> I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS already
> installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at the system
> event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of 7011. I could not
> find information that was detailed and specific enough to help me. Out of
> curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues would arise from that.
> When it got near the end of running it discovered a half-dozen DLL's that
> were missing that "may cause windows to not function correctly". No details
> were given as to what DLL's were missinng it simply asked for disc 2 of the
> XP Pro set. I do not have a XP Pro disc set because the OS and recovery
> partition are pre installed. I did not see any way to browse for the files
> that are missing.
> Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
> to purchase XP pro?
> Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
> capabilities in MCE2005?
> Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are missing
> so that I can replace them manually?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> --
> Mark N.

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 2:05:43 PM

That is because Wesley Vogel can't read English.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o QedvJtpFHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
M8RIX <mn8r1@home.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks to all that replied.
> The information was all good except for the link provided by Wesley Vogel
> which applied only to XP Home Edition.
> I solved the problem with SFC requiring a XP Pro disc by copying the I386
> folder from my recovery partition to C:\ drive and changing the path in
> the registry key HKLM>software>microsoft>windows>current
> version>setup>sourcepath from C:\windows to C:\.
> SFC /scannow ran successfully with no errors or other additional
> requirements.
>
> However, back to my original problem, I still get the error message in the
> system event viewer log (Event ID 7011). The error occurs every 30 minutes
> almost to the second without fail.
> None of the information in the link provided by Kelly seems applicable to
> the software running on my computer so the only clue I have is the
> regularity of the error itself.
> I do use Spybot S&D in my HOSTS file but I don't think this is the problem
> in my case because I run S&D on another nearly identical computer without
> any similar errors.
> Does anyone else have any idea why this error would occur on such a
> regular schedule or what I could do to narrow my search for the culprit?
>
> Thanks again.
> --
> Mark N.
> (P.S. The main difference between my two computers is that one is
> hard-wired to my cable router, while the one with the errors connects to
> the router wirelessly. I dont know if that helps at all.)
> "M8RIX" <mn8r1@home.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings All,
>> I have a new HP m1070y media center computer that came with the OS
>> already installed on it (XP media center edition 2005). I was looking at
>> the system event log and I see scores of errors with the event ID of
>> 7011. I could not find information that was detailed and specific enough
>> to help me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues
>> would arise from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered
>> a half-dozen DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not
>> function correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were
>> missinng it simply asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a
>> XP Pro disc set because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed.
>> I did not see any way to browse for the files that are missing.
>> Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without having
>> to purchase XP pro?
>> Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
>> capabilities in MCE2005?
>> Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
>> missing so that I can replace them manually?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>> --
>> Mark N.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:25:47 PM

..... a fact that could be pivotal in locating XP drivers for old 'parallel'
scanners.. :-)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 9:20:15 PM

:-p

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o 3w1fYzpFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
> .... a fact that could be pivotal in locating XP drivers for old
> 'parallel' scanners.. :-)
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User

>> That is because Wesley Vogel can't read English.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:o QedvJtpFHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> M8RIX <mn8r1@home.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Thanks to all that replied.
>>> The information was all good except for the link provided by Wesley
>>> Vogel which applied only to XP Home Edition.
>>> I solved the problem with SFC requiring a XP Pro disc by copying the
>>> I386 folder from my recovery partition to C:\ drive and changing the
>>> path in the registry key HKLM>software>microsoft>windows>current
>>> version>setup>sourcepath from C:\windows to C:\.
>>> SFC /scannow ran successfully with no errors or other additional
>>> requirements.
>>>
>>> However, back to my original problem, I still get the error message in
>>> the
>>> system event viewer log (Event ID 7011). The error occurs every 30
>>> minutes
>>> almost to the second without fail.
>>> None of the information in the link provided by Kelly seems applicable
>>> to the software running on my computer so the only clue I have is the
>>> regularity of the error itself.
>>> I do use Spybot S&D in my HOSTS file but I don't think this is the
>>> problem
>>> in my case because I run S&D on another nearly identical computer
>>> without any similar errors.
>>> Does anyone else have any idea why this error would occur on such a
>>> regular schedule or what I could do to narrow my search for the culprit?
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>> --
>>> Mark N.
>>> (P.S. The main difference between my two computers is that one is
>>> hard-wired to my cable router, while the one with the errors connects to
>>> the router wirelessly. I dont know if that helps at all.)
>>> "M8RIX" <mn8r1@home.com> wrote in message

August 24, 2005 5:52:43 AM

Actually, this is a very common issue if a certain Lexmark program is
installed and running (that I can't think of the name at the moment). :o (

--

> [...]
>>> to help me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues
>>> would arise from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered
>>> a half-dozen DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not
>>> function correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were
>>> missinng it simply asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a
>>> XP Pro disc set because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed.
>>> I did not see any way to browse for the files that are missing.
>>> Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without
>>> having to purchase XP pro?
>>> Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
>>> capabilities in MCE2005?
>>> Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
>>> missing so that I can replace them manually?

August 24, 2005 5:58:32 AM

Oh? Does this make sense then?

Esway, ouyay owknay atthay eway allway appreciateway ethay
imetay atthay ouyay ivegay erehay. Atthay aidsay, eesay ifway
Opray owsshay upway elowbay:

Onay etailsday ereway ivengay asway otay atwhay DLL'say ereway
issinngmay itway implysay askedway orfay iscday 2 ofway ethay
XPAY Opray etsay. Iway oday otnay avehay away XPAY Opray iscday
etsay ecausebay ethay OSWAY andway ecoveryray artitionpay areway
epray installedway.

Iway idday otnay eesay anyway ayway otay owsebray orfay ethay
ilesfay atthay areway issingmay.

Isway erethay anway alternateway ayway ofway eplacingray osethay
issingmay ilesfay ithoutway avinghay otay urchasepay XPAY opray?

--

> [...]

>>> to help me. Out of curiosity, I ran SFC /scannow to see if any clues
>>> would arise from that. When it got near the end of running it discovered
>>> a half-dozen DLL's that were missing that "may cause windows to not
>>> function correctly". No details were given as to what DLL's were
>>> missinng it simply asked for disc 2 of the XP Pro set. I do not have a
>>> XP Pro disc set because the OS and recovery partition are pre installed.
>>> I did not see any way to browse for the files that are missing.
>>> Is there an alternate way of replacing those missing files without
>>> having
>>> to purchase XP pro?
>>> Perhaps the DLL's are missing by design since the removal of of domain
>>> capabilities in MCE2005?
>>> Are there other utilities that can pin-point exactly which files are
>>> missing so that I can replace them manually?

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 6:35:05 AM

Kelly wrote:

> Oh? Does this make sense then?
>
> Esway, ouyay owknay atthay eway allway appreciateway ethay
> imetay atthay ouyay ivegay erehay. Atthay aidsay, eesay ifway
> Opray owsshay upway elowbay:

But can you tuna fish?
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:37:01 AM

Hi Kelly,

%homedrive%\I386

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
CDInstall 0
SourcePath C:\
ServicePackSourcePath C:\

My pig latin is a little rusty. Sheesh! My eyes are crossed. How long did
it take you to write this?

....that said, see if Opr shows up below:

On details were given as to what DLL's were
missing it simply asked for disc 2 of the
XP Opr set. I do not have a XP Opr disc
set because the OS and recovery partition are
pre installed.

I did not see any way to browse for the
files that are missing.

Is there any alternate way of replacing those
missing files without having to purchase XP opr?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o ZGwxjHqFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

August 25, 2005 5:07:06 AM

No, but you can tune a piano. :o )
--

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>>
>> Oh? Does this make sense then?
>>
>> Esway, ouyay owknay atthay eway allway appreciateway ethay
>> imetay atthay ouyay ivegay erehay. Atthay aidsay, eesay ifway
>> Opray owsshay upway elowbay:
>
> But can you tuna fish?

August 25, 2005 5:07:31 AM

Was just messin' around, Wes. :o )

--

> Hi Kelly,
>
> %homedrive%\I386
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
> CDInstall 0
> SourcePath C:\
> ServicePackSourcePath C:\
>
> My pig latin is a little rusty. Sheesh! My eyes are crossed. How long
> did
> it take you to write this?
>
> ...that said, see if Opr shows up below:
>
> On details were given as to what DLL's were
> missing it simply asked for disc 2 of the
> XP Opr set. I do not have a XP Opr disc
> set because the OS and recovery partition are
> pre installed.
>
> I did not see any way to browse for the
> files that are missing.
>
> Is there any alternate way of replacing those
> missing files without having to purchase XP opr?
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:o ZGwxjHqFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Oh? Does this make sense then?
>>
>> Esway, ouyay owknay atthay eway allway appreciateway ethay
>> imetay atthay ouyay ivegay erehay. Atthay aidsay, eesay ifway
>> Opray owsshay upway elowbay:
>>
>> Onay etailsday ereway ivengay asway otay atwhay DLL'say ereway
>> issinngmay itway implysay askedway orfay iscday 2 ofway ethay
>> XPAY Opray etsay. Iway oday otnay avehay away XPAY Opray iscday
>> etsay ecausebay ethay OSWAY andway ecoveryray artitionpay areway
>> epray installedway.
>>
>> Iway idday otnay eesay anyway ayway otay owsebray orfay ethay
>> ilesfay atthay areway issingmay.
>>
>> Isway erethay anway alternateway ayway ofway eplacingray osethay
>> issingmay ilesfay ithoutway avinghay otay urchasepay XPAY opray?
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

>>> That is because Wesley Vogel can't read English.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:o QedvJtpFHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>>> M8RIX <mn8r1@home.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:58:26 PM

Well, Kelly, my eyes finally uncrossed. I was worried. <LOL>

Remember when you were a kid and your Mom told you that if you kept doing
that, they would stay that way. Heck, you've probably told your kids that.
;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes