Problem with registry fix?

August 21, 2005 6:31:01 PM

I am a volunteer trying to help person on the Dell forums who had a L2Me
infection. The winlogon defaults in the registry were wiped out. Now I
have been trying to get victim to download a regfix to replace/merge the
defaults. However everytime he tries to do the merge, he gets the following
error.
Cannot import C:\winlogondefaults.reg: Error accessing the registry.

I know that it is not a problem with the registry fix because it is the
standard fix from
http://www.atribune.org/downloads/l2mfix.exe
http://www.downloads.subratam.org/l2mfix.exe
and I have also tried it.

I am so puzzled by this because another registry fix worked for victim. It
seems this error is tied to the 2nd Hkey entry.
Victim posted the following:

So opened C:\winlogondefaults.reg with notepad & copied the 1st hkey entry
in C:\winlogondefaults.reg to a blank notepad, saved as "All fIles"

and it also updated successfully. Figure that ???

However, when I tried again with the 2nd Hkey entry in:
C:\winlogondefaults.reg: did not update, i got the dreaded

"Error accessing the registry"

======================================

Can anyone offer some suggestions please?

Susan

More about : problem registry fix

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:31:02 PM

Susan wrote:
> I am a volunteer trying to help person on the Dell forums who had a
> L2Me infection. The winlogon defaults in the registry were wiped
> out. Now I have been trying to get victim to download a regfix to
> replace/merge the defaults. However everytime he tries to do the
> merge, he gets the following error.
> Cannot import C:\winlogondefaults.reg: Error accessing the registry.
>
> I know that it is not a problem with the registry fix because it is
> the standard fix from
> http://www.atribune.org/downloads/l2mfix.exe
> http://www.downloads.subratam.org/l2mfix.exe
> and I have also tried it.
>
> I am so puzzled by this because another registry fix worked for
> victim. It seems this error is tied to the 2nd Hkey entry.
> Victim posted the following:
>
> So opened C:\winlogondefaults.reg with notepad & copied the 1st hkey
> entry in C:\winlogondefaults.reg to a blank notepad, saved as "All
> fIles"
>
> and it also updated successfully. Figure that ???
>
> However, when I tried again with the 2nd Hkey entry in:
> C:\winlogondefaults.reg: did not update, i got the dreaded
>
> "Error accessing the registry"
>
> ======================================
>
> Can anyone offer some suggestions please?

Susan

You posted links to EXE files and I doubt that anyone will be willing to take a chance on downloading these.

Post the 'contents' of the .reg files here and somebody may be able to diagnose why these are not working.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
August 21, 2005 6:53:21 PM

Post the .reg file here, Susan.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
>I am a volunteer trying to help person on the Dell forums who had a L2Me
>infection. The winlogon defaults in the registry were wiped out. Now I
>have been trying to get victim to download a regfix to replace/merge the
>defaults. However everytime he tries to do the merge, he gets the
>following error.
> Cannot import C:\winlogondefaults.reg: Error accessing the registry.
>
> I know that it is not a problem with the registry fix because it is the
> standard fix from
> http://www.atribune.org/downloads/l2mfix.exe
> http://www.downloads.subratam.org/l2mfix.exe
> and I have also tried it.
>
> I am so puzzled by this because another registry fix worked for victim.
> It seems this error is tied to the 2nd Hkey entry.
> Victim posted the following:
>
> So opened C:\winlogondefaults.reg with notepad & copied the 1st hkey
> entry in C:\winlogondefaults.reg to a blank notepad, saved as "All fIles"
>
> and it also updated successfully. Figure that ???
>
> However, when I tried again with the 2nd Hkey entry in:
> C:\winlogondefaults.reg: did not update, i got the dreaded
>
> "Error accessing the registry"
>
> ======================================
>
> Can anyone offer some suggestions please?
>
> Susan

August 21, 2005 8:11:51 PM

I'd suspect the user account has insufficient privileges to make changes to
the HKLM branch of the registry via the .exe file.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
>I am a volunteer trying to help person on the Dell forums who had a L2Me
>infection. The winlogon defaults in the registry were wiped out. Now I
>have been trying to get victim to download a regfix to replace/merge the
>defaults. However everytime he tries to do the merge, he gets the
>following error.
> Cannot import C:\winlogondefaults.reg: Error accessing the registry.
>
> I know that it is not a problem with the registry fix because it is the
> standard fix from
> http://www.atribune.org/downloads/l2mfix.exe
> http://www.downloads.subratam.org/l2mfix.exe
> and I have also tried it.
>
> I am so puzzled by this because another registry fix worked for victim.
> It seems this error is tied to the 2nd Hkey entry.
> Victim posted the following:
>
> So opened C:\winlogondefaults.reg with notepad & copied the 1st hkey
> entry in C:\winlogondefaults.reg to a blank notepad, saved as "All fIles"
>
> and it also updated successfully. Figure that ???
>
> However, when I tried again with the 2nd Hkey entry in:
> C:\winlogondefaults.reg: did not update, i got the dreaded
>
> "Error accessing the registry"
>
> ======================================
>
> Can anyone offer some suggestions please?
>
> Susan

August 21, 2005 9:40:44 PM

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?b...
This is the above thread and you can see the various logs.
> Post the .reg file here, Susan.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
>>I am a volunteer trying to help person on the Dell forums who had a L2Me
>>infection. The winlogon defaults in the registry were wiped out. Now I
>>have been trying to get victim to download a regfix to replace/merge the
>>defaults. However everytime he tries to do the merge, he gets the
>>following error.
>> Cannot import C:\winlogondefaults.reg: Error accessing the registry.
>>
>> I know that it is not a problem with the registry fix because it is the
>> standard fix from
>> http://www.atribune.org/downloads/l2mfix.exe
>> http://www.downloads.subratam.org/l2mfix.exe
>> and I have also tried it.
>>
>> I am so puzzled by this because another registry fix worked for victim.
>> It seems this error is tied to the 2nd Hkey entry.
>> Victim posted the following:
>>
>> So opened C:\winlogondefaults.reg with notepad & copied the 1st hkey
>> entry in C:\winlogondefaults.reg to a blank notepad, saved as "All
>> fIles"
>>
>> and it also updated successfully. Figure that ???
>>
>> However, when I tried again with the 2nd Hkey entry in:
>> C:\winlogondefaults.reg: did not update, i got the dreaded
>>
>> "Error accessing the registry"
>>
>> ======================================
>>
>> Can anyone offer some suggestions please?
>>
>> Susan

August 21, 2005 11:05:15 PM

Never mind-- it worked finally!
> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?b...
> This is the above thread and you can see the various logs.
>> Post the .reg file here, Susan.
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>I am a volunteer trying to help person on the Dell forums who had a L2Me
>>>infection. The winlogon defaults in the registry were wiped out. Now I
>>>have been trying to get victim to download a regfix to replace/merge the
>>>defaults. However everytime he tries to do the merge, he gets the
>>>following error.
>>> Cannot import C:\winlogondefaults.reg: Error accessing the registry.
>>>
>>> I know that it is not a problem with the registry fix because it is the
>>> standard fix from
>>> http://www.atribune.org/downloads/l2mfix.exe
>>> http://www.downloads.subratam.org/l2mfix.exe
>>> and I have also tried it.
>>>
>>> I am so puzzled by this because another registry fix worked for victim.
>>> It seems this error is tied to the 2nd Hkey entry.
>>> Victim posted the following:
>>>
>>> So opened C:\winlogondefaults.reg with notepad & copied the 1st hkey
>>> entry in C:\winlogondefaults.reg to a blank notepad, saved as "All
>>> fIles"
>>>
>>> and it also updated successfully. Figure that ???
>>>
>>> However, when I tried again with the 2nd Hkey entry in:
>>> C:\winlogondefaults.reg: did not update, i got the dreaded
>>>
>>> "Error accessing the registry"
>>>
>>> ======================================
>>>
>>> Can anyone offer some suggestions please?
>>>
>>> Susan

August 24, 2005 6:11:16 AM

Wasn't looking for the log Susan and didn't scroll. However, from the get
go that type of error message means that you didn't have the proper title
(protocol) for the edit listed as in REGEDIT4 or
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00.
--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?b...
> This is the above thread and you can see the various logs.
>> Post the .reg file here, Susan.
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>I am a volunteer trying to help person on the Dell forums who had a L2Me
>>>infection. The winlogon defaults in the registry were wiped out. Now I
>>>have been trying to get victim to download a regfix to replace/merge the
>>>defaults. However everytime he tries to do the merge, he gets the
>>>following error.
>>> Cannot import C:\winlogondefaults.reg: Error accessing the registry.
>>>
>>> I know that it is not a problem with the registry fix because it is the
>>> standard fix from
>>> http://www.atribune.org/downloads/l2mfix.exe
>>> http://www.downloads.subratam.org/l2mfix.exe
>>> and I have also tried it.
>>>
>>> I am so puzzled by this because another registry fix worked for victim.
>>> It seems this error is tied to the 2nd Hkey entry.
>>> Victim posted the following:
>>>
>>> So opened C:\winlogondefaults.reg with notepad & copied the 1st hkey
>>> entry in C:\winlogondefaults.reg to a blank notepad, saved as "All
>>> fIles"
>>>
>>> and it also updated successfully. Figure that ???
>>>
>>> However, when I tried again with the 2nd Hkey entry in:
>>> C:\winlogondefaults.reg: did not update, i got the dreaded
>>>
>>> "Error accessing the registry"

>>> Can anyone offer some suggestions please?
>>>
>>> Susan

August 24, 2005 6:11:46 AM

Great news, Susan thanks for the feedback. How did you solve this?

--

!