HELP!!! New computer problems! Confused as hell!

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Argh! My seventh computer I've made and it finally happened. First problems ever.

When I set up winXP Pro (or even home), during the part where it copies the files before actual installation, I get frequent "FILE XXXX CANNOT BE COPIED. PRESS XXX TO SKIP, OR XXX TO TRY AGAIN".

I thought maybe it was my CD ROM drive. Used another. Same problem. I thought it was the hard drive, switched it out. SAME PROBLEM. The few times I DID make it through copying without it getting screwed up, I got many blue screens of death during ACTUAL Windows XP installation.

It's driving me insane. I'm using a 3.0C Proc, with a 875 Gigabyte Mobo, and 512 of Kingston 3500 HyperX DDR RAM, and a GFX 5900 (non ultra).

Something is SINCERELY messed up. I have NO CLUE! I think it may be the motherboard IDE controllers (this is gonna be fun, sending back the mobo), or maybe even the IDE cable (gonna test it now).

Are there any special settings or jumpers or whatever I need to considering using 875 with DDR? (This is the first non RDRAM system i've made in a while, and I read through the Gigabyte manual, and I don't think I missed one set).

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
I don't know if an 875 mobo will work properly in single channel mode.

OK u said u dont know, but why do think so? I am asking because i set up a system for a friend's customer with MSI 875Neo, 2.4B and one stick of 512MB PC2100 (yup u read it right PC2100 aka DDD266). Its working fine.

me says: If it was not for <b><font color=red>C</font color=red></b>, we wud be using <font color=blue><b>BASI, PASAL & OBOL</font color=blue></b>
<b>slvr_phoenix</b> says: But I'd still be using Python. :p

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
yup, what Crashman said.

Also check if u have enabled something else such as RAID or something. Check if u have set ur HDD as the Primary Master. I found the BIOS a little tricky, nothing to worry, but just a tad tricky to work with. Tricky in the sense, i had to set a few options that i hadnt seen b4 :wink:

me says: If it was not for <b><font color=red>C</font color=red></b>, we wud be using <font color=blue><b>BASI, PASAL & OBOL</font color=blue></b>
<b>slvr_phoenix</b> says: But I'd still be using Python. :p

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya the_magus;

I have found in the past that problems with windows installation is the first sign of hardware instability.

Try adjusting your memory timings so that they are conservative 3-3-3-6, also make sure your running your FSB and CPU core speed at default as overclocking can also cause instability during windows installation, once you get it installed and deem it stable you can tweak it.

XeeN

lordmaximus

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
The 875P will run on a single stick of ram, the only thing is if the ram is not in one of the primery slots you will get errors liek you are getting now. The only other thing it could be is faulty memory. I know these things get checked before they get sold, but you never know when it comes to electronics.

Suggestion: Take back the 512 and get two 256's you will recieve better performance, Also check on the CPU temp, if it is running too hot it may be compisating for an indeffirence in the system some where. Maybe an incorect switch or setting.

Maximus
Out of the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

My Rig: P4 2.4C on 875P, 1GB DDR400 Kingston, Ti 4200 128

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
For future reference:

Bad (usually, it's just incompatible) RAM will usually cause an installation to fail the same way every time.

Bad power will usually cause an installation to fail randomly. Same with bad/overheating CPU.

Bad motherboard will cause installation or post-installation (during setup of onboard components-- LAN, USB, RAID, ect.) to freeze. Fix: disable (this is ALWAYS a good idea) all optional components (audio, LAN, paralell, serial, SATA, ect.) in the BIOS.

Dave

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
Agree.

Running ECC RAM in non-ECC mode, or on a board that does not support ECC can also create those symptoms.

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I have 430W Antec PSU. The fact that I got many 'error copying file XXX' made me believe it was the CDROM or HD, but it wasn't.

When I did get through the installation, during windows XP setup/install, the blue screens of death varied. Sometimse it would be 'PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA', or just 'MEMORY ACCESS XXX BLA BLA'.

Anyways, I have no way to test the RAM because I only have one pair of 256 modules, being this is the first computer I built with DDR. I'm not really sure if it's the power, but 430W should be enough right? Unfortunately, that's the only PSU I have.

I'm going to try to remove my CPU/HSF and reattach it, incase it's the CPU. I need this computer working ASAP, so I really have to figure out what's wrong so I can ship it back to newegg.

Figures the computer I FINALLY make for myself is that one that's FUBAR.

By the way, in the gigabyte bios, I can't find the options to tweak RAM timings. I can adjust the RAM mhz and CPU FSB, but I've SCOURED the entire BIOS and there's NO place for me to tweak the RAM.

There was a section for 'latency options', but the only options I get when I select that on the menu are freaking PCI IRQ things.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya the_Magus;

ROFL its gonna be ok man it really is...take heart...and if the BIOS doesnt have options for overclocking, send it back and buy a different brand chipset/board that does hehe.

XeeN

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
No, it has options for overclocking the RAM and FSB, just no options for setting RAM timings!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
And it could just be the power supply.

Try underclocking the CPU by dropping the FSB down to 4x133(533)MHz and keep the RAM in sync with the FSB on a 1:1 ratio. This should give the RAM one heck of a safety buffer and make the RAM, processor, and northbridge all much more energy and heat efficient. See if doing this makes the system stable.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Alright, I'm not 100% sure (I'm running more tests now), but I THINK the errors stopped after I set the RAM multiplier to the lowest and downed the FSB from 200 to 133.

Now my question. If this 'fixes' it, what the hell is the problem? The CPU? The MOBO? The RAM?

When I kept the CPU FSB at 200, but reduced the RAM multiplier to its lowest value (so the 433 mhz ram was running at 266), I still got the errors.

I think the combination of the two may have fixed. So what does this mean? Which part of my computer is busted? I hope JUST the RAM. But could it still be the CPU or mobo?

Reply asap pls! =)

Thanks!

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya Magus;

Did you disable PAT?

Oh and does disabling PAT then give you the ability to manually set your timings?
You might wanna check.

Also go check both manufactures site and make sure that ram is listed as tested for the motherboard, as there may be some compatability issues that were overlooked...who knows but it still sounds like memory timings to me.

XeeN

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by XeeNRecoiL on 07/08/03 10:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
PAT = ?

Is that a BIOS option? Where would it be under?

"It still sounds like memory timings to me"

So that means I should replace my RAM, right?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Its a feature of the 875 chipset...might be an option in the bios...try advanced chipset features or something like that...i don't have that board so i really don't know for sure...

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
ermm... Having not seen an a BIOS with it I don't know for sure, but it may be called by it's full name, which is Intel <b>P</b>erformance <b>A</b>ccelleration <b>T</b>echnology. See if there's an option that looks like that...

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It sounds to me like you are suffering from either insufficient power or a heat problem.

By now with your system being stable you should have gotten Windows isntalled, right?

I'd say download software to monitor your temps and voltages in Windows if you can't do so already. (Motherboard monitor? I don't have a link but maybe someone else does.) Then go back into BIOS and crank things back up to what they should be. Load Windows and run a benchmark. Use the monitoring software to check your temps and the voltages of each rail of your power supply when things start crashing. Hopefully this will tell us if it is or isn't power or heat related.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I took out one stick of RAM and the thing crashed.

I replaced it with the OTHER stick and everything works now, perfectly. Unfortunately, therefore, I'm only running 256 of single channel (the other RAM piece is busted).

I sent it back to newegg and ordered a replacement RAM piece. I'm SO glad it was just the RAM, and not the mobo/CPU/PSU.