Help w/ Laserjet 4M?

Besides my new Officejet 7310, I'm still using my old workhorse HP
Laserjet 4M which has given excellent service over its long life.
Lately, however, the 4M has taken to jamming, often on the first page
output and then, perhaps, every dozen or so pages. If I stand and watch
every page as it comes out I can help gently tug pages out that are on
the verge of jamming, but this is obviously a real bother.

I recently changed the ink cartridge, but the problem persists. Anyone
out there who has had similar problems and come up with a solution? The
paper I'm using is GP Advantage Multi-purpose paper, 20 lb - which
should be a decent paper, it certainly isn't the rock bottom cheapest.

(I suspect that the printer may just need a thorough cleaning and
overhaul, but if there is some other solution, let me know!)

Thanks in advance,

--SD

The symptoms you describe are generally due to worn-out rollers, which become
smoother and dried out over time. A good cleaning of all the dust inside would
help, but the ultimate solution is to replace the roller in the back where the
paper exits. A short-term solution is to coat the entirety of each rubber
roller with a commercial Rubber Rejuvenator (available under the Blow Off brand)
or similar preparation. Or automotive brake fluid is a workable substitute.
Uisng a lint-free cloth, coat each roller with the lightest possible coating of
brake fluid, wiping it on and wiping it off. The Rubber Rejuvenator or brake
fluid reacts chemically with the rubber to make the rubber softer and more able
to grip the paper and pull it through. The major source of wear and tear on the
LJ4, LJ4M, LJ4+, LJ4M+, LJ5, LJ5M, LJ5N (all with same Canon engine) printers is
most often the rollers. I have a client with an LJ5N with nearly 400,000 pages
printed and still going strong without replacement parts, only a thorough
cleaninng inside about a year ago... Ben Myers

In article <41f40667.21668334@nntp.charter.net>, Ben Myers < @> wrote:

> The symptoms you describe are generally due to worn-out rollers, which become
> smoother and dried out over time. A good cleaning of all the dust inside
> would
> help, but the ultimate solution is to replace the roller in the back where the
> paper exits. A short-term solution is to coat the entirety of each rubber
> roller with a commercial Rubber Rejuvenator (available under the Blow Off
> brand)
> or similar preparation. Or automotive brake fluid is a workable substitute.
> Uisng a lint-free cloth, coat each roller with the lightest possible coating
> of
> brake fluid, wiping it on and wiping it off. The Rubber Rejuvenator or brake
> fluid reacts chemically with the rubber to make the rubber softer and more
> able
> to grip the paper and pull it through. The major source of wear and tear on
> the
> LJ4, LJ4M, LJ4+, LJ4M+, LJ5, LJ5M, LJ5N (all with same Canon engine) printers
> is
> most often the rollers. I have a client with an LJ5N with nearly 400,000
> pages
> printed and still going strong without replacement parts, only a thorough
> cleaninng inside about a year ago... Ben Myers

Thank you, Ben!! That's exactly the kind of advice that I sought.
I'll pursue that short-term solution and consider replacing the roller
if that doesn't work.

Much obliged...

--SD

In article <41f40667.21668334@nntp.charter.net>, Ben Myers < @> wrote:

> The symptoms you describe are generally due to worn-out rollers, which become
> smoother and dried out over time.

Good news. A wipe-down (and wipe off) of the transfer roller with brake
fluid seemed to do the trick. The printer just printed out 22 pages
without one jam. Huzzah. (Of course I now have a whole can of brake
fluid, but what the hey. It was only $2.34.

Thanks again.

--SD

Use the rest to cure warts, remove carbuncles, and fix ingrown toenails. :)

.... Ben Myers

In article <41f42bad.31211937@nntp.charter.net>, Ben Myers < @> wrote:

> Use the rest to cure warts, remove carbuncles, and fix ingrown toenails. :)
>
> ... Ben Myers

Shoot. I spoke too soon...before I had actually looked at the pages
smoothly rolling out of my printer. They're all smeary grey with no
actual print image at all! Argh. I've pulled the roller out again and
wiped it off again and now will let it dry out (I hope). Otherwise, I
may have trashed the transfer roller. :-(

--SD

Ouch! Not the transfer roller! Open up the back of the printer and look at the
metal cylindrical bar with 4 small rubber rollers that pull the paper out.
Those are the rollers that need to be replaced (along with the bar that holds
them) or rejuvenated... Ben Myers

In article <41f44c30.39536236@nntp.charter.net>, Ben Myers < @> wrote:

> Ouch! Not the transfer roller! Open up the back of the printer and look at
> the
> metal cylindrical bar with 4 small rubber rollers that pull the paper out.
> Those are the rollers that need to be replaced (along with the bar that holds
> them) or rejuvenated... Ben Myers

*Now* you tell me! <g> I got thrown off by your originally saying
roller (singular) instead of rollers (plural). I don't think the
transfer roller is going to recover. Luckily, a new one is only $15
from HP. Just another lesson in getting everything clarified down to
the tiniest detail.

--SD

Well, I will say this. HP Parts service is efficient. I ordered a new
transfer roller Tuesday morning around 11 AM and got the new one on
Wednesday by UPS just 24 hours later. That's service!

And the Laserjet 4M is working again. Now if I can just rejuvenate the
*right* rollers without screwing something else up!

--SD

Ben:
Hope you don't mind I jump in. SD, Below is a quick procedure for taking
apart the LJ 4 to get to the lower (the four roller assembly at the back)
and Upper (right under the cover where the paper comes out) Exit
Assemblies. It is much easier to take it apart and clean them that way.
Here it goes:

Quick Procedure.

(Use a cup to hold all screws).

1). Power printer off and disconnect the power cord. Open the top cover and
remove the toner cartridge.

2). Remove the right hand side panel:
Press the latch at the front and the latch at the top toward the back. Pull
it away from the printer.

3). Under the top cover, there is one screw at the right side under the
cover. Remove
it.

4). Open the back door. There are two screws at each side toward the top.
Remove them.

5). There are two ½ inch slot opening toward the front of the printer that
are under the cover. Use a flathead screw drive through the slots to
unlatch the plastic cover.

6). Lift the left side of the top cover. The control panel cable assembly
is connected right under the right side of the cover. Disconnect it to
remove the top cover.

7). Now you will need to remove the exit roller assembly:
Below the four rollers at the back, there are two plastic latches about
two inches from each side. Use a screw driver to unlatch them by pushing
them in and lift the assembly up. The left side (looking from the back) is
a little bit more difficult to remove. Just gently lift and you should be
able to free the whole assembly.

<<

Dewaine

In article <je5gv013i616fcer2vu6inl1ool80sd3m0@4ax.com>, Marek Williams
<abc@example.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:37:18 GMT, Scooby Do <sample@nothere.org> dijo:
>
> >*Now* you tell me! <g> I got thrown off by your originally saying
> >roller (singular) instead of rollers (plural). I don't think the
> >transfer roller is going to recover. Luckily, a new one is only $15
> >from HP. Just another lesson in getting everything clarified down to
> >the tiniest detail.
>
> And when you go to install the new transfer roller, do not touch it
> with your fingers. I've never installed a new transfer roller in a
> 4-series, but the ones for the later models come with a set of plastic
> gloves to wear. I don't bother with the gloves, I just take care to
> pick it up by the ends and to use a paper towel to hold the center
> part.

Yeah, I avoiding touching the roller and got it in. Works okay, though
there are are few lingering speckles from when I ruined the previous
roller. I assume those will eventually work themselves out.

--SD

In article <SnLJd.41592$dt3.3697890@twister.southeast.rr.com>, Dewaine
Chan <"dchanNOSPAM"@NOSPAM> wrote:

> Ben:
> Hope you don't mind I jump in. SD, Below is a quick procedure for taking
> apart the LJ 4 to get to the lower (the four roller assembly at the back)
> and Upper (right under the cover where the paper comes out) Exit
> Assemblies. It is much easier to take it apart and clean them that way.
> Here it goes:

Thanks, that is helpful. I'm going out of town tomorrow and am going to
hold off any further cleaning or rejuvenation until I get back.

But I printed out your instructions for later.

--SD

Latest posts