what is this?

bullseye

During scandisk, stage 4, this cluster is replaced:
SYSTEM~\catalog.wci\00010001.ci. This is the second time this happened in a
week. It has never happened before. I have owned the system for 3 years
and have been performing scandisk regularly all the time. This is the first
time I am encountering this.

Dell Dimension 4100, Win2k, 1gig PIII, 512 meg ram.

"bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message

> During scandisk, stage 4, this cluster is replaced:
> SYSTEM~\catalog.wci\00010001.ci. This is the second time this happened in
> week. It has never happened before. I have owned the system for 3 years
> and have been performing scandisk regularly all the time. This is the
first
> time I am encountering this.
>
> Dell Dimension 4100, Win2k, 1gig PIII, 512 meg ram.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/indexsrv/html/ixrefglo_9szd.asp

<paste excerpt>

The catalog is the highest-level unit of organization in Indexing Service.
It consists of the content and property indexes and other files that contain
the indexed information for the set of files covered by the catalog scopes.
By default in Microsoft Windows 2000, the "System" catalog exists in the
path named "System Volume Information\Catalog.wci", which is hidden when
Indexing Service first creates it. The "Web" catalog exists in the path
named "Inetpub\Catalog.wci", which is also hidden.

<end>

Assuming you've regularly scanned the drive for both viruses and spyware
along with defragmenting, you might wish to run some diags on the hard disk,
but that is a reach on my part.

Stew

Time to scan the drive with the Dell system utility (boot the CD and test
the drive) or use the manufacturer's test utility.

It sounds like your drive may be developing bad sectors (and therefore need
replacement).

"bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message

> During scandisk, stage 4, this cluster is replaced:
> SYSTEM~\catalog.wci\00010001.ci. This is the second time this happened in
> week. It has never happened before. I have owned the system for 3 years
> and have been performing scandisk regularly all the time. This is the
first
> time I am encountering this.
>
> Dell Dimension 4100, Win2k, 1gig PIII, 512 meg ram.

bullseye

Thank you for the replies. It may be the drive, come to think of it. It
has been making a grinding noise ("grind, grind") during boot up; made the
same noise before I got the drive replaced last year around this time. I
wonder what causes this.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> Time to scan the drive with the Dell system utility (boot the CD and test
> the drive) or use the manufacturer's test utility.
>
> It sounds like your drive may be developing bad sectors (and therefore
need
> replacement).
>

> "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
> >
> > During scandisk, stage 4, this cluster is replaced:
> > SYSTEM~\catalog.wci\00010001.ci. This is the second time this happened
in
> > week. It has never happened before. I have owned the system for 3
years
> > and have been performing scandisk regularly all the time. This is the
> first
> > time I am encountering this.
> >
> > Dell Dimension 4100, Win2k, 1gig PIII, 512 meg ram.

My grind ggrind comes from my floppy drive. Initially thought it was the
hard drive
Al

> Thank you for the replies. It may be the drive, come to think of it. It
> has been making a grinding noise ("grind, grind") during boot up; made the
> same noise before I got the drive replaced last year around this time. I
> wonder what causes this.

Sounds like one of two possibilities....

You have "Floppy seek on boot" enabled in BIOS or....
You have your AntiVirus software set to scan removable drives on boot.

"Allan9" <exatc@neo1.rr.com> wrote in message
> My grind ggrind comes from my floppy drive. Initially thought it was the
> hard drive
> Al
>
> "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Thank you for the replies. It may be the drive, come to think of it.
It
> > has been making a grinding noise ("grind, grind") during boot up; made
the
> > same noise before I got the drive replaced last year around this time.
> > wonder what causes this.

PC Medic
Were you answering me or the originator?
Al