Moving MS software between Dell Computers

I just ordered a Dimension 8400 w/ a 250G hard drive. I ordered minimum
software (Xp home and Word Perfect) because I have MS Office on an older
Dimension 8200 and Xp Pro Educational Copy which isn't installed on any
machine. I had the Xp pro on the 8200 before the hard drive crashed and
was replaced with the original Xp home which came with it.

What I want to do is convert the 8200 into a Linux box i.e. no MS
software and install the Xp Pro and MS Office on the 8400 and dual boot
with Linux. Will this work? Am I in trouble with some MS licensing issues?

Lenny Bruce <Lenny@Yahoo.com> wrote:

>I just ordered a Dimension 8400 w/ a 250G hard drive. I ordered minimum
>software (Xp home and Word Perfect) because I have MS Office on an older
>Dimension 8200 and Xp Pro Educational Copy which isn't installed on any
>machine. I had the Xp pro on the 8200 before the hard drive crashed and
>was replaced with the original Xp home which came with it.
>
>What I want to do is convert the 8200 into a Linux box i.e. no MS
>software and install the Xp Pro and MS Office on the 8400 and dual boot
>with Linux. Will this work? Am I in trouble with some MS licensing issues?

Not that I can see. You may have to re-validate that XPPro copy,
which might require a phone call to an MS 800 # to reassure them
that it is off the old computer. I don't think the MS Office
will require even that. Key point is, you have one license for
each and are using them only on one computer. Good to go, IMHO.
--
OJ III