Inspiron 8100 -- slow hardware

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hi,

I have an Inspiron 8100 (past the warranty period) that has
inexplicably become "slow."

I've actually re-formated and re-installed the OS -- and noticed that
the
whole process takes 3 - 4 times the usual time. Even formatting the
drive
takes a very long time, so I've ruled out software issues. No
hardware
changes have been made to the laptop.

Any ideas? Weak CMS battery? Bad hard drive?

Thanks.

"John" <doe@doe.com> wrote:
>whole process takes 3 - 4 times the usual time. Even formatting the
>drive takes a very long time

Maybe the drive is no longer in ATA-100 (or whatever) mode, but is
stuck in compatability mode, which is something like ATA-16. You can
check this in the drivers in WinXP, or using something like Aida