Identifying Windows instalation media

How can I identify for sure, what version of 2000 or XP is in DVD drive?
I'd like to extract the version, the build number, and the language of that
windows build. I dont ask for some third party software recomendation, that
does that for me, i ask for some table or list of files that identify that
media, that are on it.
So far I was able only to find a list of those WIN51 files in root of
XP..but I look for language too..can you help?
7 answers Last reply
More about identifying windows instalation media

    I have these two CDs...
    Volume Label: X1APFPP_EN is XP Pro SP1a Full English
    Volume Label: X1AHCCP_EN is XP Home SP1a Upgrade English

    Known RTM (SP0) CD Labels (Windows XP) - TACKtech Corp.
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=226

    Known SP1 CD Labels (Windows XP) - TACKtech Corp.
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=283

    Known SP2 CD Labels (Windows XP) - TACKtech Corp.
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=342

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:5AA2A3C9-17B9-43FA-BAB4-8F119A7FF270@microsoft.com,
    Kris <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > How can I identify for sure, what version of 2000 or XP is in DVD drive?
    > I'd like to extract the version, the build number, and the language of
    > that windows build. I dont ask for some third party software
    > recomendation, that does that for me, i ask for some table or list of
    > files that identify that media, that are on it.
    > So far I was able only to find a list of those WIN51 files in root of
    > XP..but I look for language too..can you help?

    Many thanks..this is really an incredible list.
    If it is not too much...wuld you recommend a method, when the label is
    somehow changed? How to extract that information from the files on CD?

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > I have these two CDs...
    > Volume Label: X1APFPP_EN is XP Pro SP1a Full English
    > Volume Label: X1AHCCP_EN is XP Home SP1a Upgrade English
    >
    > Known RTM (SP0) CD Labels (Windows XP) - TACKtech Corp.
    > http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=226
    >
    > Known SP1 CD Labels (Windows XP) - TACKtech Corp.
    > http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=283
    >
    > Known SP2 CD Labels (Windows XP) - TACKtech Corp.
    > http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=342
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:5AA2A3C9-17B9-43FA-BAB4-8F119A7FF270@microsoft.com,
    > Kris <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > How can I identify for sure, what version of 2000 or XP is in DVD drive?
    > > I'd like to extract the version, the build number, and the language of
    > > that windows build. I dont ask for some third party software
    > > recomendation, that does that for me, i ask for some table or list of
    > > files that identify that media, that are on it.
    > > So far I was able only to find a list of those WIN51 files in root of
    > > XP..but I look for language too..can you help?

    It will be printed right on the Genuine Microsoft Windows XP CD itself.

    Read the following:

    Is Your Copy of Windows XP Genuine?
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Kris" wrote:

    | How can I identify for sure, what version of 2000 or XP is in DVD drive?
    | I'd like to extract the version, the build number, and the language of that
    | windows build. I dont ask for some third party software recomendation, that
    | does that for me, i ask for some table or list of files that identify that
    | media, that are on it.
    | So far I was able only to find a list of those WIN51 files in root of
    | XP..but I look for language too..can you help?

    All I did was pop my two CDs in my DVD drive, copied the Volume Labeles and
    did a Google search for the Volume Lables. Took under 10 minutes.

    I don't recommend anything.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:41931DF0-B237-41FF-810E-EA972C4906A4@microsoft.com,
    Kris <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Many thanks..this is really an incredible list.
    > If it is not too much...wuld you recommend a method, when the label is
    > somehow changed? How to extract that information from the files on CD?
    >

    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> I have these two CDs...
    >> Volume Label: X1APFPP_EN is XP Pro SP1a Full English
    >> Volume Label: X1AHCCP_EN is XP Home SP1a Upgrade English
    >>
    >> Known RTM (SP0) CD Labels (Windows XP) - TACKtech Corp.
    >> http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=226
    >>
    >> Known SP1 CD Labels (Windows XP) - TACKtech Corp.
    >> http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=283
    >>
    >> Known SP2 CD Labels (Windows XP) - TACKtech Corp.
    >> http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=342
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:5AA2A3C9-17B9-43FA-BAB4-8F119A7FF270@microsoft.com,
    >> Kris <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> How can I identify for sure, what version of 2000 or XP is in DVD drive?
    >>> I'd like to extract the version, the build number, and the language of
    >>> that windows build. I dont ask for some third party software
    >>> recomendation, that does that for me, i ask for some table or list of
    >>> files that identify that media, that are on it.
    >>> So far I was able only to find a list of those WIN51 files in root of
    >>> XP..but I look for language too..can you help?

    Kris

    As you appear to have copies of the original installation media on a DVD, it
    is impossible to tell.. maybe you should get a legitimate copy of XP from a
    store.. that way, you would know exactly what you were getting..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Kris" <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I identify for sure, what version of 2000 or XP is in DVD drive?
    > I'd like to extract the version, the build number, and the language of
    > that
    > windows build. I dont ask for some third party software recomendation,
    > that
    > does that for me, i ask for some table or list of files that identify that
    > media, that are on it.
    > So far I was able only to find a list of those WIN51 files in root of
    > XP..but I look for language too..can you help?

    It is really annoying how often people jump to conclussions, based on belief
    or prejudices or anything esle. I do not have any media. I do not intend to
    buy either.
    I took over a mid sized company as an administrator few days ago. What I
    found is a mess...I need to sort what I found here, including installation
    files and media all over the place. I consider it a curiosity, not to be able
    to find information about this at all. I was hoping even for a programatical
    method for this, so we could write our own application , just to have some
    experience in field.

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Kris
    >
    > As you appear to have copies of the original installation media on a DVD, it
    > is impossible to tell.. maybe you should get a legitimate copy of XP from a
    > store.. that way, you would know exactly what you were getting..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "Kris" <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How can I identify for sure, what version of 2000 or XP is in DVD drive?
    > > I'd like to extract the version, the build number, and the language of
    > > that
    > > windows build. I dont ask for some third party software recomendation,
    > > that
    > > does that for me, i ask for some table or list of files that identify that
    > > media, that are on it.
    > > So far I was able only to find a list of those WIN51 files in root of
    > > XP..but I look for language too..can you help?

    Kris

    Your initial post gave no clue as to your particular situation.. many out
    there have copies of XP media that are not 'legit', on media where the name
    has been written in 'CD' marker pen.. obviously, it is far easier to work
    out what version a person has if they have original installation media..
    perhaps if you had explained your situation better, some of us (me for
    instance) would not have been seen as 'jumping to conclusions'..

    --

    > It is really annoying how often people jump to conclussions, based on
    > belief
    > or prejudices or anything esle. I do not have any media. I do not intend
    > buy either.
    > I took over a mid sized company as an administrator few days ago. What I
    > found is a mess...I need to sort what I found here, including installation
    > files and media all over the place. I consider it a curiosity, not to be
    > able
    > to find information about this at all. I was hoping even for a
    > programatical
    > method for this, so we could write our own application , just to have some
    > experience in field.
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Kris
    >>
    >> As you appear to have copies of the original installation media on a DVD,
    >> it
    >> is impossible to tell.. maybe you should get a legitimate copy of XP from
    >> store.. that way, you would know exactly what you were getting..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>

    >> "Kris" <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How can I identify for sure, what version of 2000 or XP is in DVD
    >> > drive?
    >> > I'd like to extract the version, the build number, and the language of
    >> > that
    >> > windows build. I dont ask for some third party software recomendation,
    >> > that
    >> > does that for me, i ask for some table or list of files that identify
    >> > that
    >> > media, that are on it.
    >> > So far I was able only to find a list of those WIN51 files in root of
    >> > XP..but I look for language too..can you help?

Build Windows XP