cannot open registry or any programs or any files on XP

I ran into a problem on my home computer. I was trying to install XP
SP2 on my computer and it failed so I searched the web and found out a
work around from Microsoft which says to add permission got HKCR
(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT). Here is the link

So I gave permission and then I rebooted the client. This is when I ran
into problems

Once I log in, I cannot open anything, registry does not work. All the
icons are gone. The only option I have is to copy, cut, properties
option for any files including in the start - all programs. Even if I
right click I only get copy, cut, properties options only. I cannot
open anything.

I cannot open anything and it seems that all association is all messed
up.

In the link provided above it says to give permission for a specific
sub key in the registry but I gave full permission at the HKCR level
instead of the subkey.

Can someone help me out with this. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

I hope for you that you've used a restore point before doing what you did!

If not then you'll surely have to save datas and reinstall the whole
computer: you've changed property to a lots of keys and you can't easily
restore them without using a restore point.

So go to start / all programs / accessories / system tools / system restore
and try to restore the system in a state before the date you make your
registry change.

And in the future try to just do what they said in the instructions, nothing
else more.

If you can't restore, then save datas and reinstall: that's what will save
you the most time.

Thanks for your help.

But I am unable to open any application or folder or run any exe files.
Is there a work around to open the files and perform a system restore.

Also is it possible to run ERD commander and run system restore.