Sign in with
Your question

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL nvlddmkm.sys

Last response: in Windows 7
November 1, 2012 10:57:24 PM

A friend asked me to check his PC because he is having crash issues after a video card upgrade. Well, the new video card is Zotac GeForce GT 520. (Image at http://techreport.com/r.x/2011q2/zotac-gt520.jpg)

PC just crashes when he is watching youtube, play games, etc...

I have been able to recreate the crash with PC Wizard http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html

At the program startup, all the components are being checked and when it comes to video card it hangs a little and than crashes.

PC Wizard can load normally in Win 7 safe mode so no crash or BSOD.

mini dump says:

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: nvlddmkm.sys
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

hmm don't know what more to do, after doing these:

- Cleaned drivers with Driver Sweeper and installed newest
- Cleaned drivers with Driver Sweeper and installed newest beta
- Updated BIOS on the motherboard to the latest available
- Fresh install of Win 7 didn't help either

PC Info:

Motherboard: ASUS 5PVD2-VM SE 775
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. ver. 0507, 20.2.2008
CPU: Intel Pentium E2160 @ 1.80GHz, 1800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
VGA: Zotac GeForce GT 520
RAM: 1 GB DDR2
SWAP: 2 GB
HDD: Hitachi DeskStar 7K160, HDS721616PLA380

Mini dump file: http://www.mediafire.com/?9z0b65xb1ad3e5l

Is there anything else I can try or the video card is officially
faulty and needs to be replaced?
November 2, 2012 12:03:51 AM

You can test ram via memtest86 and check for HDD SMART errors. As far as I know that particular BSOD usually points to one of those two.

If you have another video card just pop it in and test the computer it.
November 2, 2012 9:31:09 AM

Hmm I'll try it later today.

It hurts not to try hehe but I think its not that since the new OS was installed on a fresh formatted HDD without any problems and the fact that everything operated correctly before video card upgrade. Its also OK in safe mode.

Well I'll be able to say it with certainty after the tests. Thanx for the suggestion.
Related resources
November 3, 2012 2:11:07 AM

No problem.
November 5, 2012 1:53:57 PM

Memtest86 with additional tests didn't find anything after 12 hours of testing so RAM is OK.

chkdsk and TestDisk didn't find any problems either so HDD is OK.

So this falls back to bad compatibility between motherboard and video card or video card is just faulty.

I'm gonna return the PC to my friend today as I couldn't fix it. Video card is 5 months old so if he received a guarantee on the product he should be able to exchange it.

mlcaouette, thanx for your help
November 5, 2012 9:45:28 PM

He will likely be able to RMA the graphics card, most come with at least a 1 year warranty.

One last thing, did you use any program to review the SMART data for the hard drive such as "Diskcheckup"? Windows doesn't have any built in utilities to check the SMART data so you will have to download one.
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 2:08:39 PM

Suspecting bad GPU. Download Bluescreenview and post a screenshot; I expect to see the crashing driver as nvlddmkm.sys if the GPU is really at fault.
November 10, 2012 7:57:21 PM

@mlcaouette

well I wanted to do it and even downloaded "HDDScan" for that purpose but somehow I forgot. I had a brand new disk and several used which I tried but with no changes so it shouldn't be the HDD anyway.

@gamerk316

Was my first thing to check but couldn't figure out anything useful (lack of exp. since I don't know much about drivers and their dependencies, memory addresses and IRQ only basics).

There is a "mediafire" link (1st post bottom) to a mni-dump file so you can download it and copy/paste it in your mini-dump folder and open it with BSview if u are interested.

Well folks thanx for your effort. The PC has been returned to the owner so I can't perform any more test.

Admin can lock, delete or archive the thread. Nothing more can be done anyway hehehe

Thanx and thanx :D 
!