Can the MN-710 and MN-720 ad-hoc

Hello,

I need to link a notebook and a desktop together. Can
these two products be configured as ad-hoc / peer to peer
and does the wizard software do this as an option ? I
simply want to share some files and the broadband
conection on the desktop. The desktop has no spare pci
slots hence the usb product, the modem is usb with no
ethernet socket and I don't have much money to spend :-)

TIA
6 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Yes you can but since it is ad-hoc you will be limited to 11 mbps. You
    need a router or WAP to be able to use any 802.11g speed between those
    two devices.

    Phil wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I need to link a notebook and a desktop together. Can
    > these two products be configured as ad-hoc / peer to peer
    > and does the wizard software do this as an option ? I
    > simply want to share some files and the broadband
    > conection on the desktop. The desktop has no spare pci
    > slots hence the usb product, the modem is usb with no
    > ethernet socket and I don't have much money to spend :-)
    >
    > TIA

    Thanks for the advice, I was aware of the 11 mbps
    limitation but I thought i'd better get the g spec'd kit
    then upgrade the network when i've a bit more spare
    cash :-)

    Actually, higher speeds are supported in ad-hoc mode if you
    are using two 710 -- I wonder if the same applies to using
    a 710 and a 720?

    Quoting a earlier post from Neel Malik:

    It sounds like you are using the MN-710 in what is called
    ad-hoc mode. The
    standard maximum connection speed for this mode is 11Mbps.
    Since you are
    using two MN-710 adapters, you can put them both into a
    special mode that
    will allow for a higher connection speed. You need to set
    this on the
    Advanced tab of the MN-710 from Device Manager. The
    parameter is
    IBSS54gtmMode. Either 54g80211bCompatible or 54gPerformance
    should work, but
    you probably need to make sure they are the same.

    --
    Neel Malik
    Program Manager

    confers no rights.

    According to the standard set by IEEE ad-hoc mode is limited to 11 mbps.

    That is where the MN-710 according to Neel Malik deviates from the
    standard of 11 mbps for ad-hoc mode.

    At least that is how I understood the "802.11g-2003.pdf" from IEEE which
    is available for free.

    lilo wrote:
    > Actually, higher speeds are supported in ad-hoc mode if you
    > are using two 710 -- I wonder if the same applies to using
    > a 710 and a 720?
    >
    > Quoting a earlier post from Neel Malik:
    >
    > It sounds like you are using the MN-710 in what is called
    > ad-hoc mode. The
    > standard maximum connection speed for this mode is 11Mbps.
    > Since you are
    > using two MN-710 adapters, you can put them both into a
    > special mode that
    > will allow for a higher connection speed. You need to set
    > this on the
    > Advanced tab of the MN-710 from Device Manager. The
    > parameter is
    > IBSS54gtmMode. Either 54g80211bCompatible or 54gPerformance
    > should work, but
    > you probably need to make sure they are the same.

    Does the deviation applies to the 720 too??? It would be a
    pretty good plus ^_^

    Nope, just the MN-710 that was released after the other 802.11g hardware
    was released.

    lilo wrote:

    > Does the deviation applies to the 720 too??? It would be a
    > pretty good plus ^_^

Routers Desktops Networking