Can the MN-710 and MN-720 ad-hoc

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Hello,

I need to link a notebook and a desktop together. Can
these two products be configured as ad-hoc / peer to peer
and does the wizard software do this as an option ? I
simply want to share some files and the broadband
conection on the desktop. The desktop has no spare pci
slots hence the usb product, the modem is usb with no
ethernet socket and I don't have much money to spend :)

TIA

joker

Yes you can but since it is ad-hoc you will be limited to 11 mbps. You
need a router or WAP to be able to use any 802.11g speed between those
two devices.

Phil wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to link a notebook and a desktop together. Can
> these two products be configured as ad-hoc / peer to peer
> and does the wizard software do this as an option ? I
> simply want to share some files and the broadband
> conection on the desktop. The desktop has no spare pci
> slots hence the usb product, the modem is usb with no
> ethernet socket and I don't have much money to spend :)
>
> TIA

Thanks for the advice, I was aware of the 11 mbps
limitation but I thought i'd better get the g spec'd kit
then upgrade the network when i've a bit more spare
cash :)

)

>> TIA
>
>.

Actually, higher speeds are supported in ad-hoc mode if you
are using two 710 -- I wonder if the same applies to using
a 710 and a 720?

Quoting a earlier post from Neel Malik:

It sounds like you are using the MN-710 in what is called
ad-hoc mode. The
standard maximum connection speed for this mode is 11Mbps.
Since you are
using two MN-710 adapters, you can put them both into a
special mode that
will allow for a higher connection speed. You need to set
this on the
Advanced tab of the MN-710 from Device Manager. The
parameter is
IBSS54gtmMode. Either 54g80211bCompatible or 54gPerformance
should work, but
you probably need to make sure they are the same.

--
Neel Malik
Program Manager

confers no rights.

joker

According to the standard set by IEEE ad-hoc mode is limited to 11 mbps.

That is where the MN-710 according to Neel Malik deviates from the
standard of 11 mbps for ad-hoc mode.

At least that is how I understood the "802.11g-2003.pdf" from IEEE which
is available for free.

lilo wrote:
> Actually, higher speeds are supported in ad-hoc mode if you
> are using two 710 -- I wonder if the same applies to using
> a 710 and a 720?
>
> Quoting a earlier post from Neel Malik:
>
> It sounds like you are using the MN-710 in what is called
> ad-hoc mode. The
> standard maximum connection speed for this mode is 11Mbps.
> Since you are
> using two MN-710 adapters, you can put them both into a
> special mode that
> will allow for a higher connection speed. You need to set
> this on the
> Advanced tab of the MN-710 from Device Manager. The
> parameter is
> IBSS54gtmMode. Either 54g80211bCompatible or 54gPerformance
> should work, but
> you probably need to make sure they are the same.

Does the deviation applies to the 720 too??? It would be a
pretty good plus ^_^

joker

Nope, just the MN-710 that was released after the other 802.11g hardware
was released.