Windows 7 wont startup with Video drivers installed.

d3ni4l

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Main problem is pretty much, If i have any video drivers installed when i start up windows 7 normally i get a blue screen saying "windows failed to start up then collecting data for crash dump etc." And after that first happened i tried all that windows diagnostic tools to fix the issue, system repair, memory diagnostics, system restore. But none of the fix's found anything wrong.

So after all those repair attempts and such, i threw it in safe mode and uninstalled my video drivers and then rebooted, and low and behold windows 7 started perfectly fine minus not having video drivers. I'm able to run all my non-3d programs just fine, mozilla works great can even run HD videos w/o problems. Only problem though is that once you start windows 7 without a video driver it automatically installs video drivers and prompts you to reboot. and if i do I run into the first issue where it just wont start.

I thought it might be that i had some old drivers that were not being uninstalled so i removed my video drivers, popped it in safe mode and ran Driver sweeper to make sure all my video drivers were gone. Then proceeded to reboot, windows 7 automatically installed its drivers again after i restarted it just wont start up.

I believe I've tried everything I can and am wondering if anyone has any other solutions to this problem I seem to be having. Also I've been having little issues with video card drivers for some time with games but nothing to bad, just the occasional crash every so often so it may very well be my Video card has crapped out on me.

Os Windows 7 64bit,
Videocard Nvidia 8800 Gt
Cpu Intel Quad core Q6600 2.4ghz
Mobo XFX Nforce 780 i

Any help will be greatly appreciated, ill be check this thread quite often so if you have any questions about my setup please feel free to ask. Thanks

Solution
alot of nvidia products uffffff where to begin

fresh install of windows?

latest chipset drivers from nvidia?

tested all your hardware?

could be a dead video card too - seen it a few times, where it BSOD's getting into windows of all places etc - posible.

arges86

Distinguished
i'm assuming that since your hardware isn't exactly new this isn't a recent build.

Did you newly upgrade to Win7 for Vista or Xp when you first encountered this issue?

Also, have you tried installing the latest drivers from Nvidia's website while your in safemode w/o any previous drivers installed? (i know you could install drivers from safemode in XP, but i don't know if its possible in Win7... only one way to find out)

d3ni4l

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Ya, my hardware hasnt changed much for a while. And I've been running Windows 7 since release so dont think installing that was a problem.

I'll try installing the drivers in safemode but im not sure that'll help.

Ive been having a problem with most games, sometimes just crashing on me for a while, but when i recently upgraded to the newest nvidia driver 197.13 is when all this started happening.

I'm starting to think its my actual card so i'll be swapping it out with an old one tommorow to see if that fixs the issue.

d3ni4l

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Hmm, that's always a possibility i guess. I've got the Antec Sonata III case and ya came with a 500W EarthWatts PSU so that could be it. Seeing as the last Antec case i got the PSU went screwy on me also.

Well ill start swapping out hardware later and see if it helps. Hopefully its something simple though.

alot of nvidia products uffffff where to begin

fresh install of windows?

latest chipset drivers from nvidia?

tested all your hardware?

could be a dead video card too - seen it a few times, where it BSOD's getting into windows of all places etc - posible.

Solution
Procedure to clean install a new driver:

1) Download driversweeper to your desktop, or wherever you can find it easily.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html

2) Download your new driver to the same place.
3) Add/remove programs, uninstall any Nvidia or ATI vga drivers and programs.
4) Boot into safe mode. Press F8 repeatedly while booting to enter safe mode. Your display resolution may be minimal.
5) Run driversweeper. Check the selection boxes for the removal of all nvidia vga drivers and ati drivers.
6) Rerun driversweeper. All such components should be gone.
7) Install the new driver from the desktop or saved location.

d3ni4l

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

Ya went through all those steps already, and it still doesnt seem to want to let me boot if I have any Videodrivers installed. I'm starting to think its the card thats just crapped out on me and will be replacing it soon, hopefully that'll fix my problems

d3ni4l

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Swapped out my Nvidia 8800 gt, with an older card i had upstairs. So installed the Radeon x700, and everything is running fine.

Kinda sad i fixed the problem but i guess it was the Graphics card that went :(