flash stick not working

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 running XP pro.

When I try to plug in a Dell flash stick that came with the computer,
the front USB ports do not recognise the stick but the back USB ports do.

It is kind of a pain to have to reach around to the back of the computer
to use the flash stick. The stick works on other computers but not mine.

I also tried using a USB hub in order to bring a port to the front of
the computer but that does not work either.

Any suggestions?

"William Kossack" <kossackw@njc.org> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension 8300 running XP pro.
>
> When I try to plug in a Dell flash stick that came with the computer, the
> front USB ports do not recognise the stick but the back USB ports do.
>
> It is kind of a pain to have to reach around to the back of the computer
> to use the flash stick. The stick works on other computers but not mine.
>
> I also tried using a USB hub in order to bring a port to the front of the
> computer but that does not work either.
>
> Any suggestions?

William,

Do other devices work on the front ports?

Stew

Yes other devices work on the front port.

When I open up my computer the stick does not appear as a device and
windows explorer does not see it

yet the flash stick works on the back ports and other computers

S.Lewis wrote:

>"William Kossack" <kossackw@njc.org> wrote in message
>

>>I have a Dell Dimension 8300 running XP pro.
>>
>>When I try to plug in a Dell flash stick that came with the computer, the
>>front USB ports do not recognise the stick but the back USB ports do.
>>
>>It is kind of a pain to have to reach around to the back of the computer
>>to use the flash stick. The stick works on other computers but not mine.
>>
>>I also tried using a USB hub in order to bring a port to the front of the
>>computer but that does not work either.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>>

>William,
>
>Do other devices work on the front ports?
>

>Stew

figured it out

needed to map another drive

the usb was taking over the maping or trying to use a network drive letter

William Kossack <kossackw@njc.org> wrote in news:10vd8c81cm39bb6
@corp.supernews.com:

> I have a Dell Dimension 8300 running XP pro.
>
> When I try to plug in a Dell flash stick that came with the computer,
> the front USB ports do not recognise the stick but the back USB ports do.
>
> It is kind of a pain to have to reach around to the back of the computer
> to use the flash stick. The stick works on other computers but not mine.
>
> I also tried using a USB hub in order to bring a port to the front of
> the computer but that does not work either.
>
> Any suggestions?

I can't explain why you are having the difficulty. But for my desktops
without front USB ports, I use a USB "extension cord."

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc