what is best way to transfer large files from one pc to an..

August 21, 2005 7:18:32 PM

I know there are some FTP programs available but what about having an ftp
server available to go through? or am I not understanding process properly?

More about : transfer large files

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 8:22:57 PM

You can just use a crossover cable and transfer the files through your NIC
using Windows Explorer.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Tinger" wrote:
|I know there are some FTP programs available but what about having an ftp
| server available to go through? or am I not understanding process
properly?
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 9:40:32 PM

Tinger wrote:
> I know there are some FTP programs available but what about having an
> ftp server available to go through? or am I not understanding
> process properly?

One PC to another in what physical vicinity?
Are these computers on a network?
Or are you transferring a greater distance?
What is a "large" file to you?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Yea, I'm talking from one pc on the internet to another in another location -
even cross country. Not in same room.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Tinger wrote:
> > I know there are some FTP programs available but what about having an
> > ftp server available to go through? or am I not understanding
> > process properly?
>
> One PC to another in what physical vicinity?
> Are these computers on a network?
> Or are you transferring a greater distance?
> What is a "large" file to you?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

August 21, 2005 9:56:20 PM

=?Utf-8?B?VGluZ2Vy?= <Tinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Yea, I'm talking from one pc on the internet to another in another
> location - even cross country. Not in same room.
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> Tinger wrote:
>> > I know there are some FTP programs available but what about having
>> > an ftp server available to go through? or am I not understanding
>> > process properly?
>>
>> One PC to another in what physical vicinity?
>> Are these computers on a network?
>> Or are you transferring a greater distance?
>> What is a "large" file to you?
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

yes FTP would be a good choice.

here's an excellent FREE pair....

http://filezilla.sourceforge.net
August 22, 2005 3:19:03 AM

"Tinger" <Tinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know there are some FTP programs available but what about having an ftp
> server available to go through? or am I not understanding process
> properly?

>> Yea, I'm talking from one pc on the internet to another in another
>> location -
>> even cross country. Not in same room.

Tinger:
Assuming you're talking about files not greater than 1 GB in size, take a
look at http://www.yousendit.com/. I haven't used this (freebie) service
myself, but two persons I know did and they told me they were quite
satisfied.
Anna
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 5:10:06 AM