Recommendations for 22 inch LCD

Baladya

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Hello all :)

I am building my first gaming computer, and i chose most of the things but still the LCD. As for the rest of the hardware, its really hard to know where to look. This is why i thought of asking u pros what to recommend :p

K first i wanted to be a 22inch, 1080 (HD), dont really care about the ms cuz everyone knows as long its less than 8 then no problem, no need for fancy 2 ms (right?). Good Viewing angle... All the stuff u no :p
I know that most now are TN but some good ones are IPS... so i wanted to know if its a good idea to buy an IPS?? Remember that my budget is $220. If u think its not enough for my req, then maybe $240 xD but its better if $220.

Just gimme a couple of monitors so i can know where to start and research them :) Thank you :) :hello:

P.S: Any other thing i should pay attention to??

Baladya

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
PS: I m gonna get : i5-750... ASUS P55-E Pro... ATI Radeon 4870 .... 4 GB RAM
Will there be any problem or drawback?

I haven't done much research on 22" monitors since they are a bit small for my tastes. The only 22" IPS monitor on the market right now that I know of is with 1920 x 1080 resolution is the HP ZR22W which uses an e-IPS panel.

Dell is releasing the 21.5" U2211H and 23" U2311H e-IPS panel monitors, but I don't think they have been released yet. I have not don't much research on e-IPS panels, but generally they offer better color accuracy than TN panels, however it is not as good as PVA / MVA panels.

NEC has announced the 23" PA231W which again uses the e-IPS panel, but no price or availability yet.

Personally, the monitors I use are H-IPS panel monitors. Even my LG 47LH90 HDTV uses a S-IPS panel. I play some games and watch movies on my monitors and at least for me, I am very satisfied. However, my monitors uses the more expensive to manufacture H-IPS panel and not the less expensive e-IPS panel. Have I seen a e-IPS panel monitor? No.

Additionally, I have an Asus VK246H monitor which uses a TN panel, but it is used very seldomly to monitor some processes on my HTPC. I think I used it for at most 30 minutes this month. Anywaste, as a gaming monitor, it is actually pretty good, but I prefer my H-IPS panels because of less color fading on the edges. For movie purposes, the VK246H does a decent job.

Baladya

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

Help really appreciated :)

K so u think i should get an IPS. What about TN, do u know any good ones? btw, i saw in a couple of sites that the native resolution for a 22inch is 1050, does this mean i should concentrate on that cuz i won't find any 22 inch 1080?

22" monitors used to be strickly 1680 x 1050, but with the popularity of 16:9 aspect ratio there are several 22" sporting 1920 x 1080 resolution.

I personally prefer IPS monitors. They are a little more expensive or a lot more expensive depending on what model you are buying. IPS panels (e-IPS, S-IPS, H-IPS and the upcoming p-IPS) generally have better colors (once calibrated) and wider viewing angles than TN panels.

Nearly all TN panel colors are fine for most people, unless you can visually tell the difference or you need accurate colors for professional work. Viewing angles are a different matter. Some people will simply say, "Hey, I'm just gonna sit in front of the monitor so viewing angles doesn't matter". Ummmm... I sit directly in front of my Asus VK246H, keep my head still and I move my eyes to view the left, right, top, and bottom of the screen and I can definitely tell there are color shifts due to the limited viewing angles of the TN panel.

Apparently the Dell U2211H and U2311H are now available for sale according to another thread, but since it is new there are no official reviews of those monitors yet.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-9270

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-9271