Display Properties Dialog Box. No tabs.

August 21, 2005 8:05:01 PM

Below you will find all the help offered so far that has not worked. But I
have a question. THe guy says go into the registry and delete those keys. I
looked and they are not there in the HKLM are. However they are in the HKLU.
So do I delete them out of there. And will this bring back my tabs that I am
trying to get back. Does any MVP know .

> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > when I right click on my desktop and select properties a box pops up.
>> > It
>> > used
>> > to have tabs for like changing screen resolution, screen saver and the
>> > like.
>> > Now when the box pops up those tabs are not there only the box is. Only
>> > thing
>> > I can change is the theme. How do I get those tabs back.
>> >
>> > I have tried the Kellys Korner #285 and still nothing. Its like the
>> > view
>> > for
>> > it is set to block the tabs or something. Anyone have any more ideas.
>> > Maybe
>> > Enviormental Variables. Is there something there that would take them
>> > away.
>> > Im open to all suggestions.
>> >

>> Check these locations in the Registry,
>>
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>>
>> Delete "NoDispAppearancePage", "NoDispBackgroundPage",
>> "NoDispSettingsPage",
>> and "NoDispScrSavPage" in the right-hand pane.
>>
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>>
>> Delete "NoThemesTab" in the right hand pane.
>>
> All those registry values are included in Kelly's Korner reg file(set to 0
> values). If that doesn't work then deleting
> "NoDispAppearancePage", "NoDispBackgroundPage", "NoDispSettingsPage",
> and "NoDispScrSavPage" shouldn't work.
>
> Though I don't know for any kind of mistake in handling.

Her reg edits are for HKCU not HKLM, and yes those entries can be in HKLM.

--
William
Anonymous

These may help.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"mstout2001"wrote:
| Below you will find all the help offered so far that has not worked. But I
| have a question. THe guy says go into the registry and delete those keys.
| looked and they are not there in the HKLM are. However they are in the
HKLU.
| So do I delete them out of there. And will this bring back my tabs that I
am
| trying to get back. Does any MVP know .

| > "WTC" wrote:
| >
| >> "mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Only

| >> Check these locations in the Registry,
| >>
| >> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
| >>
| >> Delete "NoDispAppearancePage", "NoDispBackgroundPage",
| >> "NoDispSettingsPage",
| >> and "NoDispScrSavPage" in the right-hand pane.
| >>
| >> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
| >>
| >> Delete "NoThemesTab" in the right hand pane.
| >>
| > All those registry values are included in Kelly's Korner reg file(set to
0
| > values). If that doesn't work then deleting
| > "NoDispAppearancePage", "NoDispBackgroundPage", "NoDispSettingsPage",
| > and "NoDispScrSavPage" shouldn't work.
| >
| > Though I don't know for any kind of mistake in handling.
|

| Her reg edits are for HKCU not HKLM, and yes those entries can be in HKLM.
|
| --
| William

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 10:18:12 PM

Read the instructions at the top
285. Right hand side
Restore All Display Tabs

See also...
Missing Tabs in Display Properties and No OpenGL Support After You Upgrade
to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283751/

Desktop Tab Missing from Display Properties
http://www.theeldergeek.com/desktop_tab_missing_from_di...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:83D2C15D-AF17-4817-B18F-1E4833589EBE@microsoft.com,
mstout2001 <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Below you will find all the help offered so far that has not worked. But I
> have a question. THe guy says go into the registry and delete those keys.
> I looked and they are not there in the HKLM are. However they are in the
> HKLU. So do I delete them out of there. And will this bring back my tabs
> that I am trying to get back. Does any MVP know .

>> "WTC" wrote:
>>
>>> "mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Check these locations in the Registry,
>>>
>>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>>>
>>> Delete "NoDispAppearancePage", "NoDispBackgroundPage",
>>> "NoDispSettingsPage",
>>> and "NoDispScrSavPage" in the right-hand pane.
>>>
>>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>>>
>>> Delete "NoThemesTab" in the right hand pane.
>>>
>> All those registry values are included in Kelly's Korner reg file(set to
>> 0 values). If that doesn't work then deleting
>> "NoDispAppearancePage", "NoDispBackgroundPage", "NoDispSettingsPage",
>> and "NoDispScrSavPage" shouldn't work.
>>
>> Though I don't know for any kind of mistake in handling.
>

> Her reg edits are for HKCU not HKLM, and yes those entries can be in HKLM.
>
> --
> William
August 21, 2005 10:18:13 PM

not the kellys korner but the eldergeek site is exactly what Im experiencing.
I tried to go to the gpet.msc but the snap in failed to initialize. So I see
I have one more problem to tackle. But I think if I fix that and then do what
you said in the eldergeek I will be good to go. I notice your very well
versed in windows. gpet.msc. I checked the enviormental variables path string
%SystemRoot%\system32;%systemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\Wbem does this look
right to you. Its what I put. Is the word path supposed to be capital letters
or not. No matther which way I put it no gpedit.msc. any clues.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Read the instructions at the top
> 285. Right hand side
> Restore All Display Tabs
>
> See also...
> Missing Tabs in Display Properties and No OpenGL Support After You Upgrade
> to Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283751/
>
> Desktop Tab Missing from Display Properties
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/desktop_tab_missing_from_di...
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:83D2C15D-AF17-4817-B18F-1E4833589EBE@microsoft.com,
> mstout2001 <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Below you will find all the help offered so far that has not worked. But I
> > have a question. THe guy says go into the registry and delete those keys.
> > I looked and they are not there in the HKLM are. However they are in the
> > HKLU. So do I delete them out of there. And will this bring back my tabs
> > that I am trying to get back. Does any MVP know .

> >> All those registry values are included in Kelly's Korner reg file(set to
> >> 0 values). If that doesn't work then deleting
> >> "NoDispAppearancePage", "NoDispBackgroundPage", "NoDispSettingsPage",
> >> and "NoDispScrSavPage" shouldn't work.
> >>
> >> Though I don't know for any kind of mistake in handling.
> >

> > Her reg edits are for HKCU not HKLM, and yes those entries can be in HKLM.
> >
> > --
> > William

August 21, 2005 11:50:27 PM

mstout2001 wrote:

> Below you will find all the help offered so far that has not worked. But I
> have a question. THe guy says go into the registry and delete those keys. I
> looked and they are not there in the HKLM are. However they are in the HKLU.
> So do I delete them out of there. And will this bring back my tabs that I am
> trying to get back. Does any MVP know .

>>"WTC" wrote:
>>

>>>"mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>>Check these locations in the Registry,
>>>
>>>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>>>
>>>Delete "NoDispAppearancePage", "NoDispBackgroundPage",
>>>"NoDispSettingsPage",
>>>and "NoDispScrSavPage" in the right-hand pane.
>>>
>>>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>>>
>>>Delete "NoThemesTab" in the right hand pane.
>>>

>>All those registry values are included in Kelly's Korner reg file(set to 0
>>values). If that doesn't work then deleting
>>"NoDispAppearancePage", "NoDispBackgroundPage", "NoDispSettingsPage",
>>and "NoDispScrSavPage" shouldn't work.
>>
>>Though I don't know for any kind of mistake in handling.
>

> Her reg edits are for HKCU not HKLM, and yes those entries can be in HKLM.

Don't keep on posting a new message each time. Keep your replies in the
original thread so we can see what all has been suggested. Search for
your original post using google groups. Better yet use a newsreader
instead of the horrible web (CDO) interface. XP comes with a
newsreader, outlook express. Here is a link on how to set it up.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.h...

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

It isn't gpet.msc it is gpedit.msc. And gpedit.msc does not exist on XP
Home, only XP Pro. If you have XP Home typing gpedit.msc in Start | Run
will not work no matter what you do.

XP is not case sensative, so cpaitals do not matter.

Here's the short version of my path >>>>
C:\>path
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

%SystemRoot% = C:\WINDOWS if Windows is installed on C:

Error Message "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" When You Use Microsoft
Management Console
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297064

"Snap-in Failed to Initialize" Error Message When You Open Microsoft
Management Console
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp...;en-us;826282

You receive a “Cannot open <Snap-in Name>” error message when you try to
start MMC on a Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326574

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:2B6F8635-0EE0-4E79-A302-566A45519AAA@microsoft.com,
mstout2001 <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> not the kellys korner but the eldergeek site is exactly what Im
> experiencing. I tried to go to the gpet.msc but the snap in failed to
> initialize. So I see I have one more problem to tackle. But I think if I
> fix that and then do what you said in the eldergeek I will be good to go.
> I notice your very well versed in windows. gpet.msc. I checked the
> enviormental variables path string
> %SystemRoot%\system32;%systemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\Wbem does this
> look right to you. Its what I put. Is the word path supposed to be
> capital letters or not. No matther which way I put it no gpedit.msc. any
> clues.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

>> Read the instructions at the top
>> 285. Right hand side
>> Restore All Display Tabs
>>
>> See also...
>> Missing Tabs in Display Properties and No OpenGL Support After You
>> Upgrade to Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283751/
>>
>> Desktop Tab Missing from Display Properties
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/desktop_tab_missing_from_di...
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:83D2C15D-AF17-4817-B18F-1E4833589EBE@microsoft.com,
>> mstout2001 <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Below you will find all the help offered so far that has not worked.
>>> But I have a question. THe guy says go into the registry and delete
>>> those keys. I looked and they are not there in the HKLM are. However
>>> they are in the HKLU. So do I delete them out of there. And will this
>>> bring back my tabs that I am trying to get back. Does any MVP know .

>>> Her reg edits are for HKCU not HKLM, and yes those entries can be in
>>> HKLM.
>>>
>>> --
>>> William
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:01:03 AM

Ok I shall do that sorry. But you know i still dont have the tabs. I have
tried all the things every one says and nothing. In another post Im working
on my MMC for it says that snap in failed, etc... but I was able to find a
way to navigate to gpet.msc via the cmd prompt. I checked and still no joy
with getting my tabs back. I am so lost on this. So I ask does anyone know
what else I can try.

"Rock" wrote:

> mstout2001 wrote:
>
> > Below you will find all the help offered so far that has not worked. But I
> > have a question. THe guy says go into the registry and delete those keys. I
> > looked and they are not there in the HKLM are. However they are in the HKLU.
> > So do I delete them out of there. And will this bring back my tabs that I am
> > trying to get back. Does any MVP know .

> >>All those registry values are included in Kelly's Korner reg file(set to 0
> >>values). If that doesn't work then deleting
> >>"NoDispAppearancePage", "NoDispBackgroundPage", "NoDispSettingsPage",
> >>and "NoDispScrSavPage" shouldn't work.
> >>
> >>Though I don't know for any kind of mistake in handling.
> >

> > Her reg edits are for HKCU not HKLM, and yes those entries can be in HKLM.
> >

> Don't keep on posting a new message each time. Keep your replies in the
> original thread so we can see what all has been suggested. Search for
> your original post using google groups. Better yet use a newsreader
> instead of the horrible web (CDO) interface. XP comes with a
> newsreader, outlook express. Here is a link on how to set it up.
>
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.h...
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

August 22, 2005 12:35:28 AM

mstout2001 wrote:

> Ok I shall do that sorry. But you know i still dont have the tabs. I have
> tried all the things every one says and nothing. In another post Im working
> on my MMC for it says that snap in failed, etc... but I was able to find a
> way to navigate to gpet.msc via the cmd prompt. I checked and still no joy
> with getting my tabs back. I am so lost on this. So I ask does anyone know
> what else I can try.
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>mstout2001 wrote:
>>

>>>Below you will find all the help offered so far that has not worked. But I
>>>have a question. THe guy says go into the registry and delete those keys. I
>>>looked and they are not there in the HKLM are. However they are in the HKLU.
>>>So do I delete them out of there. And will this bring back my tabs that I am
>>>trying to get back. Does any MVP know .

>>>Her reg edits are for HKCU not HKLM, and yes those entries can be in HKLM.
>>>

>>Don't keep on posting a new message each time. Keep your replies in the
>>original thread so we can see what all has been suggested. Search for
>>your original post using google groups. Better yet use a newsreader
>>instead of the horrible web (CDO) interface. XP comes with a
>>newsreader, outlook express. Here is a link on how to set it up.
>>
>>http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.h...
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Put your XP CD in the drive, click start | run. Type in sfc /scannow
(note no space between / and scannow. Let it run -it will take some
time. It won't provide much in the way of messages. Check it after
that. If no go run the edit from Kelly's site again. If no go
uninstall and reinstall the video card drivers. Make sure you have the
latest drivers.

If still no go do a repair install:

You'll need to go to the the windows update site and reinstall all updates.

If that doesn't work backup your data (you should and do always have a
full and complete backup, right?) and do a clean install.

Btw have you made sure the system is clean of viruses, trojans, and
spyware and other nasties? If so how?

What happened right before this problem started? Install any new
hardware or software?

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

This is generally caused by using third party desktop enhancers. It they
are still installed that is why you can't restore.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Below you will find all the help offered so far that has not worked. But I
> have a question. THe guy says go into the registry and delete those keys.
> looked and they are not there in the HKLM are. However they are in the
> HKLU.
> So do I delete them out of there. And will this bring back my tabs that I
> am
> trying to get back. Does any MVP know .

>> "WTC" wrote:
>>
>>> "mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Check these locations in the Registry,
>>>
>>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>>>
>>> Delete "NoDispAppearancePage", "NoDispBackgroundPage",
>>> "NoDispSettingsPage",
>>> and "NoDispScrSavPage" in the right-hand pane.
>>>
>>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>>>
>>> Delete "NoThemesTab" in the right hand pane.
>>>
>> All those registry values are included in Kelly's Korner reg file(set to
>> 0
>> values). If that doesn't work then deleting
>> "NoDispAppearancePage", "NoDispBackgroundPage", "NoDispSettingsPage",
>> and "NoDispScrSavPage" shouldn't work.
>>
>> Though I don't know for any kind of mistake in handling.
>

> Her reg edits are for HKCU not HKLM, and yes those entries can be in HKLM.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:14:01 AM

Yeah ive tried every thing and looked for the enhancers too. No joy. I did
run chkdsk and It says it need to run with the /f so maybe it found something
there. I will try it and see what happens. Do you know of any other reason
this phenominom is happening

"Kelly" wrote:

> This is generally caused by using third party desktop enhancers. It they
> are still installed that is why you can't restore.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Below you will find all the help offered so far that has not worked. But I
> > have a question. THe guy says go into the registry and delete those keys.
> > looked and they are not there in the HKLM are. However they are in the
> > HKLU.
> > So do I delete them out of there. And will this bring back my tabs that I
> > am
> > trying to get back. Does any MVP know .

> >> All those registry values are included in Kelly's Korner reg file(set to
> >> 0
> >> values). If that doesn't work then deleting
> >> "NoDispAppearancePage", "NoDispBackgroundPage", "NoDispSettingsPage",
> >> and "NoDispScrSavPage" shouldn't work.
> >>
> >> Though I don't know for any kind of mistake in handling.
> >

> > Her reg edits are for HKCU not HKLM, and yes those entries can be in HKLM.
> >
> > --
> > William

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:57:33 AM

What happens if you logon as a new user? (create a new account in 'User
Accounts').

--

!