No sound

August 21, 2005 8:10:03 PM

I accidently posted this in the Media Center Edition group, and am re-posting
this in the Expert Zone instead.:

Big_Mack1 wrote:
I have no sound.

My audio device is a C-Media AC97 and is part of the motherboard. I have
tried downloading the drivers from mfgr's website and re-installing them to
no avail.

When I go into the Sounds and Audio (from Cntl Panel), the output device
(dropdown menu) shows it's using "Modem #3 Line Playback". When I uninstalled
that device and rebooted (hoping it would find the AC97 instead of the
modem), the number just changed to Modem #4 and I still have no sound.

During bootup, there are also 2 problems that I think might be related to the
lack of a discovered sound device:

1st)After the Windows (Home) splash page comes up, an error messge says:

"systemroot\windows\system32\autochk.exe not found- skipping autocheck".

The file is, indeed, in that directory. I can see it there. When I attempted
to just click on it and run it, the error given to me says it can't run in
win32 mode.

2nd) Once I logon to my user account, the error inside the message box
(titled "SmWizard.exe entry point not found") displays the following error
message:

"The procedure entry point FT_EXIT12 could not be located in the Dynamic
Link Library, kernel32.dll".

When I go into the device manager and look at the audio device, it says the
device cannot be started, error 10. Reinstalling the driver does nothing.

Any help would be appreciated, short of just re-installing Windows XP and
downloading all of the updates.

Bob

More about : sound

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 9:31:28 PM

You have corrupted file in your windows, to repair them go to the Run box on
the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow

Then insert your XP cd as said and wait.

Reboot.
Push Del or the combination key to enter your BIOS setup screen.
Verify that your sound card is activated, if not activate it.
Exit and save your altered settings.

Use after a reboot your drivers CD, go to control panel / system / device
manager and install all drivers for your sound card. If they came as a zip
file, extract them before on your desktop and indicate to windows where are
your unzipped drivers.

Hope it helps.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 9:33:14 PM

Ha yeah, before doing all I already wrote, make a virus scan using an up to
date antivirus, it may reveal you something!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 22, 2005 9:35:31 PM

Hi Mack

I have also recently had problems with my C-Media card - happened after I
inadvertently downloaded some hardware upgrade on the Microsoft update page

Try this before doing anything drastic.

Instead of going to the motherboard Manu site, download Everest (home
edition) ...

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...

load it up and right click on the Multimedia icon (I selected HTML version)

this will give you something like this :

PCI / PnP Audio

Device Description Type
SiS 7012 Audio Device PCI

Throw this into 'Google' for an updated driver -

you could try the location where I got mine from :

http://www.sis.com/download/download_step2.php?id=15580...

reboot and cross your fingers !

It worked for me after going up many blind alleys - I hope it may work for
you

Good luck

Jim

"Big_Mack1" <BigMack1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I accidently posted this in the Media Center Edition group, and am
>re-posting
> this in the Expert Zone instead.:
>
> Big_Mack1 wrote:
> I have no sound.
>
> My audio device is a C-Media AC97 and is part of the motherboard. I have
> tried downloading the drivers from mfgr's website and re-installing them
> no avail.
>
> When I go into the Sounds and Audio (from Cntl Panel), the output device
> (dropdown menu) shows it's using "Modem #3 Line Playback". When I
> uninstalled
> that device and rebooted (hoping it would find the AC97 instead of the
> modem), the number just changed to Modem #4 and I still have no sound.
>
> During bootup, there are also 2 problems that I think might be related to
> the
> lack of a discovered sound device:
>
> 1st)After the Windows (Home) splash page comes up, an error messge says:
>
> "systemroot\windows\system32\autochk.exe not found- skipping autocheck".
>
> The file is, indeed, in that directory. I can see it there. When I
> attempted
> to just click on it and run it, the error given to me says it can't run in
> win32 mode.
>
> 2nd) Once I logon to my user account, the error inside the message box
> (titled "SmWizard.exe entry point not found") displays the following error
> message:
>
> "The procedure entry point FT_EXIT12 could not be located in the Dynamic
> Link Library, kernel32.dll".
>
> When I go into the device manager and look at the audio device, it says
> the
> device cannot be started, error 10. Reinstalling the driver does nothing.
>
> Any help would be appreciated, short of just re-installing Windows XP and
> downloading all of the updates.
>
> Bob
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:04:02 AM

Jimbo:

Kudo's to you!

That program not only told me that I didn't have a C-Media soundcard, but it
also told me that I had a Vin Audio card. I went to their website, downloaded
the driver for this particular sound device, and Bingo!, it worked and I have
sound!

Many thanks!

Mack

"jimbo" wrote:

> Hi Mack
>
> I have also recently had problems with my C-Media card - happened after I
> inadvertently downloaded some hardware upgrade on the Microsoft update page
>
> Try this before doing anything drastic.
>
> Instead of going to the motherboard Manu site, download Everest (home
> edition) ...
>
> http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...
>
> load it up and right click on the Multimedia icon (I selected HTML version)
>
> this will give you something like this :
>
> PCI / PnP Audio
>
> Device Description Type
> SiS 7012 Audio Device PCI
>

> Throw this into 'Google' for an updated driver -
>
> you could try the location where I got mine from :
>
> http://www.sis.com/download/download_step2.php?id=15580...
>
> reboot and cross your fingers !
>
> It worked for me after going up many blind alleys - I hope it may work for
> you
>
> Good luck
>
> Jim
>

> "Big_Mack1" <BigMack1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I accidently posted this in the Media Center Edition group, and am
> >re-posting
> > this in the Expert Zone instead.:
> >
> > Big_Mack1 wrote:
> > I have no sound.
> >
> > My audio device is a C-Media AC97 and is part of the motherboard. I have
> > tried downloading the drivers from mfgr's website and re-installing them
> > no avail.
> >
> > When I go into the Sounds and Audio (from Cntl Panel), the output device
> > (dropdown menu) shows it's using "Modem #3 Line Playback". When I
> > uninstalled
> > that device and rebooted (hoping it would find the AC97 instead of the
> > modem), the number just changed to Modem #4 and I still have no sound.
> >
> > During bootup, there are also 2 problems that I think might be related to
> > the
> > lack of a discovered sound device:
> >
> > 1st)After the Windows (Home) splash page comes up, an error messge says:
> >
> > "systemroot\windows\system32\autochk.exe not found- skipping autocheck".
> >
> > The file is, indeed, in that directory. I can see it there. When I
> > attempted
> > to just click on it and run it, the error given to me says it can't run in
> > win32 mode.
> >
> > 2nd) Once I logon to my user account, the error inside the message box
> > (titled "SmWizard.exe entry point not found") displays the following error
> > message:
> >
> > "The procedure entry point FT_EXIT12 could not be located in the Dynamic
> > Link Library, kernel32.dll".
> >
> > When I go into the device manager and look at the audio device, it says
> > the
> > device cannot be started, error 10. Reinstalling the driver does nothing.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated, short of just re-installing Windows XP and
> > downloading all of the updates.
> >
> > Bob

August 23, 2005 9:04:21 PM

Mack,