Base Station and Wireless Network Connection

To All:

I have a MS Base Station MN-500 and I have a MS Notebook Adapter MN-520 for
my laptop, both on XP. Everything works fine between the two, but I'm
curious as to why my desktop do not have the "Wireless Network Connection"
feature in "Network Connections". Is there a way I can turn the feature on?
Is it not true that I could connection to other wireless networks with my
base station if I want to? I see other networks with my laptop and the
"Wireless Network Connection" feature.

My second question, I've been trying to setup an Apple Airport Express with
no success. I've entered the device's MAC to my MAC Filtering security for
my base station, plus disabled firewall and WEP, but I still can't make a
connection. I can't be sure about the SSID or channel, but apparently, the
airport express device suppose to be able to adopt whatever it finds on the
network. I will try with my laptop later tonight.

When I use the Apple software that came with the device, one of the first
error message was something to the effect of "windows do not have
permissions to control wireless network connection" - but I'm not running
any other 3rd party software other than what came with my Base Station. Why
am I getting that message? Is it because I don't have the "Wireless Network
Connection" in my Network Connections? Again, I don't why my desktop is set
up differently from my laptop.

Any help or insights would be appreciated!

Thanks,

joker

The wireless network connection is only listed when you have a wireless
network card installed in the computer.

The desktop can only connect to wireless devices that have connected to
your router.

What kind of networking device is the "Apple Airport Express"? Are you
trying to get it connect via wired or wireless? What is it connected to?

Also on Windows XP computers it is recommended that you uninstall the
broadband networking software because it is only need to configure
wireless connections on versions of Windows that don't support wireless
security. (It adds WEP support to older OS's while SP2 for Windows XP
includes WPA support for wireless.)

Terence Lee wrote:

> To All:
>
> I have a MS Base Station MN-500 and I have a MS Notebook Adapter MN-520 for
> my laptop, both on XP. Everything works fine between the two, but I'm
> curious as to why my desktop do not have the "Wireless Network Connection"
> feature in "Network Connections". Is there a way I can turn the feature on?
> Is it not true that I could connection to other wireless networks with my
> base station if I want to? I see other networks with my laptop and the
> "Wireless Network Connection" feature.
>
> My second question, I've been trying to setup an Apple Airport Express with
> no success. I've entered the device's MAC to my MAC Filtering security for
> my base station, plus disabled firewall and WEP, but I still can't make a
> connection. I can't be sure about the SSID or channel, but apparently, the
> airport express device suppose to be able to adopt whatever it finds on the
> network. I will try with my laptop later tonight.
>
> When I use the Apple software that came with the device, one of the first
> error message was something to the effect of "windows do not have
> permissions to control wireless network connection" - but I'm not running
> any other 3rd party software other than what came with my Base Station. Why
> am I getting that message? Is it because I don't have the "Wireless Network
> Connection" in my Network Connections? Again, I don't why my desktop is set
> up differently from my laptop.
>
> Any help or insights would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,

Thanks for the response. The Airport Express can work either as client or
base station. (http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/) I'm trying to connect
to it wirelessly. I also have an EPSON wireless printserver. I'm able to
connect to that easily. I should be able to connect to this Airport Express
in the similar way, but I can't...

"joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> The wireless network connection is only listed when you have a wireless
> network card installed in the computer.
>
> The desktop can only connect to wireless devices that have connected to
> your router.
>
> What kind of networking device is the "Apple Airport Express"? Are you
> trying to get it connect via wired or wireless? What is it connected to?
>
> Also on Windows XP computers it is recommended that you uninstall the
> broadband networking software because it is only need to configure
> wireless connections on versions of Windows that don't support wireless
> security. (It adds WEP support to older OS's while SP2 for Windows XP
> includes WPA support for wireless.)
>
> Terence Lee wrote:
>
> > To All:
> >
> > I have a MS Base Station MN-500 and I have a MS Notebook Adapter MN-520
for
> > my laptop, both on XP. Everything works fine between the two, but I'm
> > curious as to why my desktop do not have the "Wireless Network
Connection"
> > feature in "Network Connections". Is there a way I can turn the feature
on?
> > Is it not true that I could connection to other wireless networks with
my
> > base station if I want to? I see other networks with my laptop and the
> > "Wireless Network Connection" feature.
> >
> > My second question, I've been trying to setup an Apple Airport Express
with
> > no success. I've entered the device's MAC to my MAC Filtering security
for
> > my base station, plus disabled firewall and WEP, but I still can't make
> > connection. I can't be sure about the SSID or channel, but apparently,
the
> > airport express device suppose to be able to adopt whatever it finds on
the
> > network. I will try with my laptop later tonight.
> >
> > When I use the Apple software that came with the device, one of the
first
> > error message was something to the effect of "windows do not have
> > permissions to control wireless network connection" - but I'm not
running
> > any other 3rd party software other than what came with my Base Station.
Why
> > am I getting that message? Is it because I don't have the "Wireless
Network
> > Connection" in my Network Connections? Again, I don't why my desktop is
set
> > up differently from my laptop.
> >
> > Any help or insights would be appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks,

Airport Express requires that your router or access point support WDS
(wireless distribution system). The Microsoft base stations do not support
WDS.

>>> T

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

yikes! that's new to me. Thanks for the info. Is there any place /
website that talks more about WDS and MS base stations not supporting it?

thanks, T

"Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Airport Express requires that your router or access point support WDS
> (wireless distribution system). The Microsoft base stations do not support
> WDS.
>
> Terence Lee wrote:
> > Thanks for the response. The Airport Express can work either as
> > client or base station. (http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/) I'm
> > trying to connect to it wirelessly. I also have an EPSON wireless
> > printserver. I'm able to connect to that easily. I should be able
> > to connect to this Airport Express in the similar way, but I can't...
> >

> > "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> >> The wireless network connection is only listed when you have a
> >> wireless network card installed in the computer.
> >>
> >> The desktop can only connect to wireless devices that have connected
> >> to your router.
> >>
> >> What kind of networking device is the "Apple Airport Express"? Are
> >> you trying to get it connect via wired or wireless? What is it
> >> connected to?
> >>
> >> Also on Windows XP computers it is recommended that you uninstall the
> >> broadband networking software because it is only need to configure
> >> wireless connections on versions of Windows that don't support
> >> wireless security. (It adds WEP support to older OS's while SP2 for
> >> Windows XP includes WPA support for wireless.)

> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

I wrote a little about it myself at the end of the column in
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03october13.mspx
(instructions on how to do it and a couple of other things).

try a google search:
airport express +WDS

and you will turn up lots of info.

--