STTNG mylar locations after clearcoat and hello

ChrisH

Hi group,
Before I get to the question I'd like to say Hello. I found pinball
about a year ago when I bought a NIB LOTR on a whim thinking it would
be cool to have in the rec room. My 7th machine is being restored for
me now. I eat, sleep, and everything else pinball. I have changed
switches, coils, restored lockbar brackets, repaired outholes and added
protectors, and have become a clean and polish maniac. I had never
used a soldering iron before and now it feels like my right hand. I
owe it all to this group and the very nice bunch of people I have spent
everyday with as I lurked on these posts trying to learn everything
possible. I hope someday to be able to contribute instead of just
read. I am amazed at how gracious many of you can be. John Wart has
been a source for inexpensive ROMS, Jeff McAfee a great source for
decals, Mike at MadAmusements, Allen at Treasurecove, Terry at
Pinballlife, Bill Ung at UFOPinball, Frank at Orbitpinball, Bay Area,
Marco, and on and on have all treated me with the quickest and greatest
customer service I have ever experienced with any product I have ever
bought. But the shocker so far was Marc, better known as Cokey. I
emailed him asking him if he would sell me an Epilepsy Warning decal
for my AFM because from Bryan Kelly I am slowly learning to be anal in
all things pinball. Marc sent me one from England for FREE! This
group has never ceased to amaze me with how kind you all can be. I am
sure if it wasn't for all of you, pinball would have stayed a passing
interest. My wife would direct a post at all of you but her post would
lay blame! :p
My collection so far is LOTR, TSPP, AFM, SS, TZ, CV and on the way in a
few weeks STTNG. So finally my question. The game that I'm buying is
having the playfield clearcoated. I live near the Pinball Parlour in
eastern PA and from playing it there I know that the ball is airborn a
lot due to the cannons and the Borg ship. I am planning Mylar patches
at the inlane ball drops and maybe at the drop from the shooter ramp
but is there any other place I should be concerned about to protect the
playfield from white dents occurring? I would hate to be too late by
using the trial and error method. I couldn't find an answer by
searching.
Also, I am planning on purple pop bumper caps with black wafers, purple
lane guides, and posts. Anyone else tried something similar and have
pics they could share? Sorry for the long winded message but thought I
should at least say hi to all.

ChrisH

those are two of the best posts I have read in a long time

especially the first, but of course my buddy David always chimes in
with something interesting

by the way, David is working on an IJ for me

hope he posts pictures for everyone to see soon

gary

Yep, You've been bitten by the bug. Welcome to the addiction. All the
guys you've mentioned are a credit to this hobby and saved my but more
then a few times.

Your going to love your STTNG. It's one that will stay in my collection.
The only changes I've done to mine is adding plastic protectors under
all the playfield plastics. I've also added a shaker motor that comes on
when the shields flash. It adds just a touch of rumble to the feel of
the game while playing. There's one cool mod I'd like to do that I
haven't gotten to yet and that's the lazers that mount in the cannons. I
believe the mod includes the cannon housings. You can see it here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13727&item=6151673768&rd=1

The only other place I'd consider placing maylar is around the pop bumpers.

Have fun, Dave

ChrisH wrote:
> Hi group,
> Before I get to the question I'd like to say Hello. I found pinball
> about a year ago when I bought a NIB LOTR on a whim thinking it would
> be cool to have in the rec room. My 7th machine is being restored for
> me now. I eat, sleep, and everything else pinball. I have changed
> switches, coils, restored lockbar brackets, repaired outholes and added
> protectors, and have become a clean and polish maniac. I had never
> used a soldering iron before and now it feels like my right hand. I
> owe it all to this group and the very nice bunch of people I have spent
> everyday with as I lurked on these posts trying to learn everything
> possible. I hope someday to be able to contribute instead of just
> read. I am amazed at how gracious many of you can be. John Wart has
> been a source for inexpensive ROMS, Jeff McAfee a great source for
> decals, Mike at MadAmusements, Allen at Treasurecove, Terry at
> Pinballlife, Bill Ung at UFOPinball, Frank at Orbitpinball, Bay Area,
> Marco, and on and on have all treated me with the quickest and greatest
> customer service I have ever experienced with any product I have ever
> bought. But the shocker so far was Marc, better known as Cokey. I
> emailed him asking him if he would sell me an Epilepsy Warning decal
> for my AFM because from Bryan Kelly I am slowly learning to be anal in
> all things pinball. Marc sent me one from England for FREE! This
> group has never ceased to amaze me with how kind you all can be. I am
> sure if it wasn't for all of you, pinball would have stayed a passing
> interest. My wife would direct a post at all of you but her post would
> lay blame! :p
> My collection so far is LOTR, TSPP, AFM, SS, TZ, CV and on the way in a
> few weeks STTNG. So finally my question. The game that I'm buying is
> having the playfield clearcoated. I live near the Pinball Parlour in
> eastern PA and from playing it there I know that the ball is airborn a
> lot due to the cannons and the Borg ship. I am planning Mylar patches
> at the inlane ball drops and maybe at the drop from the shooter ramp
> but is there any other place I should be concerned about to protect the
> playfield from white dents occurring? I would hate to be too late by
> using the trial and error method. I couldn't find an answer by
> searching.
> Also, I am planning on purple pop bumper caps with black wafers, purple
> lane guides, and posts. Anyone else tried something similar and have
> pics they could share? Sorry for the long winded message but thought I
> should at least say hi to all.
>
> ChrisH

I'd say welcome, and it looks as if you'll be needing some
more room pretty soon! ;)

Yes, I've been known to swap a few of the colored pieces around
on a game to better suit the theme. Any and all of those type
mods are reversable. Funny thing is when pinheads see them, they
start talking "proto" and "sample", and sometimes get all excited...
:D

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
=============================

ChrisH wrote:

> Also, I am planning on purple pop bumper caps with black wafers, purple
> lane guides, and posts. Anyone else tried something similar and have
> pics they could share? Sorry for the long winded message but thought I
> should at least say hi to all.
>
> ChrisH

Adi

Yup, as fine a mod as there ever was. It is made and sold by
www.mickspinball.com
You will like your STTNG, one of the best Williams games out there.

Adi
www.txpinball.com

"David Schulpius" <dschulpius@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > My collection so far is LOTR, TSPP, AFM, SS, TZ, CV and on the way in a
> > few weeks STTNG. So finally my question. The game that I'm buying is
> > having the playfield clearcoated. I live near the Pinball Parlour in
> > eastern PA and from playing it there I know that the ball is airborn a
> > lot due to the cannons and the Borg ship. I am planning Mylar patches
> > at the inlane ball drops and maybe at the drop from the shooter ramp
> > but is there any other place I should be concerned about to protect the
> > playfield from white dents occurring? I would hate to be too late by
> > using the trial and error method. I couldn't find an answer by
> > searching.
> > Also, I am planning on purple pop bumper caps with black wafers, purple
> > lane guides, and posts. Anyone else tried something similar and have
> > pics they could share? Sorry for the long winded message but thought I

Welcome Chris and thanks for the compliment.......I think. ;-)

The true test of being anal is to be able to say it out loud in a
crowded elevator. Only then, will you know you are one of us.

I have also dealt with everyone on your list and will say they are
great. The best is, as you say, the ones that offer stuff up for free.
Simply giving to someone unknown because someone gave to them at one
time. It really does get contagious.

The people on this group are truly what make it so great.

Once again, WELCOME!!

Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

"Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

(Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)

ChrisH wrote:
> Hi group,
> Before I get to the question I'd like to say Hello. I found pinball
> about a year ago when I bought a NIB LOTR on a whim thinking it would
> be cool to have in the rec room. My 7th machine is being restored for
> me now. I eat, sleep, and everything else pinball. I have changed
> switches, coils, restored lockbar brackets, repaired outholes and added
> protectors, and have become a clean and polish maniac. I had never
> used a soldering iron before and now it feels like my right hand. I
> owe it all to this group and the very nice bunch of people I have spent
> everyday with as I lurked on these posts trying to learn everything
> possible. I hope someday to be able to contribute instead of just
> read. I am amazed at how gracious many of you can be. John Wart has
> been a source for inexpensive ROMS, Jeff McAfee a great source for
> decals, Mike at MadAmusements, Allen at Treasurecove, Terry at
> Pinballlife, Bill Ung at UFOPinball, Frank at Orbitpinball, Bay Area,
> Marco, and on and on have all treated me with the quickest and greatest
> customer service I have ever experienced with any product I have ever
> bought. But the shocker so far was Marc, better known as Cokey. I
> emailed him asking him if he would sell me an Epilepsy Warning decal
> for my AFM because from Bryan Kelly I am slowly learning to be anal in
> all things pinball. Marc sent me one from England for FREE! This
> group has never ceased to amaze me with how kind you all can be. I am
> sure if it wasn't for all of you, pinball would have stayed a passing
> interest. My wife would direct a post at all of you but her post would
> lay blame! :p
> My collection so far is LOTR, TSPP, AFM, SS, TZ, CV and on the way in a
> few weeks STTNG. So finally my question. The game that I'm buying is
> having the playfield clearcoated. I live near the Pinball Parlour in
> eastern PA and from playing it there I know that the ball is airborn a
> lot due to the cannons and the Borg ship. I am planning Mylar patches
> at the inlane ball drops and maybe at the drop from the shooter ramp
> but is there any other place I should be concerned about to protect the
> playfield from white dents occurring? I would hate to be too late by
> using the trial and error method. I couldn't find an answer by
> searching.
> Also, I am planning on purple pop bumper caps with black wafers, purple
> lane guides, and posts. Anyone else tried something similar and have
> pics they could share? Sorry for the long winded message but thought I
> should at least say hi to all.
>
> ChrisH

If I see somebody in an elevator saying "ANAL!" I figure it's just
Tourette's Syndrome. I didn't know it was some sort of club.

bogart
www.pinrestore.com