IP Address will not renew. Help!! Damn Bootvis!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I screwed up my cable connection after first using Bootvis to help speed
up my restarting of Windows XP Pro. Now all I get is "acquiring network
address". When I try to repair I get "could not finish repairing because the
following action cannot be completed: Renewing your ip address". Window did
not detect a connection problem. All settings are duplcated from the computer
I am on now that is working. I ran "cmd" "ipconfig /renew" And I get "An
error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The RPC
server is unavailable." I am exhausted! My comcast ISP could not help me. He
says go to microsoft. Do I have to reload XP and reformat?? Thanks for any
help here.......Best Regards Rick Barnett.

Try this.

Open Services...
Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
Scroll down to and double click DNS Client | Set to Automatic under Startup
type |
Click the Apply button | Click the Start button | When it starts click OK

Do the same for DHCP Client.
Do the same for Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

When done, close Services.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:814E8801-E2BA-4665-BCE8-85842EAC0F0A@microsoft.com,
analog414 <analog414@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I screwed up my cable connection after first using Bootvis to help
> speed up my restarting of Windows XP Pro. Now all I get is "acquiring
> network address". When I try to repair I get "could not finish repairing
> because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your ip
> address". Window did not detect a connection problem. All settings are
> duplcated from the computer I am on now that is working. I ran "cmd"
> "ipconfig /renew" And I get "An error occurred while renewing interface
> Local Area Connection : The RPC server is unavailable." I am exhausted!
> My comcast ISP could not help me. He says go to microsoft. Do I have to
> reload XP and reformat?? Thanks for any help here.......Best Regards Rick
> Barnett.

THE DNS CLIENT I BELIEVE WAS THE PROBLEM! I HAVE MY CONNECTION NOW! THANK
YOU, THANK YOU! RICK

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Try this.
>
> Open Services...
> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
> Scroll down to and double click DNS Client | Set to Automatic under Startup
> type |
> Click the Apply button | Click the Start button | When it starts click OK
>
> Do the same for DHCP Client.
> Do the same for Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
>
> When done, close Services.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:814E8801-E2BA-4665-BCE8-85842EAC0F0A@microsoft.com,
> analog414 <analog414@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I screwed up my cable connection after first using Bootvis to help
> > speed up my restarting of Windows XP Pro. Now all I get is "acquiring
> > network address". When I try to repair I get "could not finish repairing
> > because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your ip
> > address". Window did not detect a connection problem. All settings are
> > duplcated from the computer I am on now that is working. I ran "cmd"
> > "ipconfig /renew" And I get "An error occurred while renewing interface
> > Local Area Connection : The RPC server is unavailable." I am exhausted!
> > My comcast ISP could not help me. He says go to microsoft. Do I have to
> > reload XP and reformat?? Thanks for any help here.......Best Regards Rick
> > Barnett.

"An error occurred while renewing interface local area connection" While
renewing IP
http://www.chicagotech.net/neterrors.htm
Under network errors.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

analog414 wrote:

> I screwed up my cable connection after first using Bootvis to help speed
> up my restarting of Windows XP Pro. Now all I get is "acquiring network
> address". When I try to repair I get "could not finish repairing because the
> following action cannot be completed: Renewing your ip address". Window did
> not detect a connection problem. All settings are duplcated from the computer
> I am on now that is working. I ran "cmd" "ipconfig /renew" And I get "An
> error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The RPC
> server is unavailable." I am exhausted! My comcast ISP could not help me. He
> says go to microsoft. Do I have to reload XP and reformat?? Thanks for any
> help here.......Best Regards Rick Barnett.

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:40:20 -0700, analog414
<analog414@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>THE DNS CLIENT I BELIEVE WAS THE PROBLEM! I HAVE MY CONNECTION NOW! THANK
>YOU, THANK YOU! RICK

Actually it was probably one of the other services. The DNS service
does not need to be running for you to use the Comcast Internet
service.

Glad to hear it, Rick. Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:2F3C8C63-6AB6-45DC-81A4-4372AE980487@microsoft.com,
analog414 <analog414@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> THE DNS CLIENT I BELIEVE WAS THE PROBLEM! I HAVE MY CONNECTION NOW! THANK
> YOU, THANK YOU! RICK
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Try this.
>>
>> Open Services...
>> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
>> Scroll down to and double click DNS Client | Set to Automatic under
>> Startup type |
>> Click the Apply button | Click the Start button | When it starts click OK
>>
>> Do the same for DHCP Client.
>> Do the same for Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
>>
>> When done, close Services.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:814E8801-E2BA-4665-BCE8-85842EAC0F0A@microsoft.com,
>> analog414 <analog414@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I screwed up my cable connection after first using Bootvis to help
>>> speed up my restarting of Windows XP Pro. Now all I get is "acquiring
>>> network address". When I try to repair I get "could not finish repairing
>>> because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your ip
>>> address". Window did not detect a connection problem. All settings are
>>> duplcated from the computer I am on now that is working. I ran "cmd"
>>> "ipconfig /renew" And I get "An error occurred while renewing interface
>>> Local Area Connection : The RPC server is unavailable." I am exhausted!
>>> My comcast ISP could not help me. He says go to microsoft. Do I have to
>>> reload XP and reformat?? Thanks for any help here.......Best Regards
>>> Rick Barnett.

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) has to run for almost anything to work on XP.
DHCP Client has to be running for Comcast.
ipconfig /displaydns and ipconfig /flushdns do *not* work with the DNS
Client service *not* running.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:b0pjg1h0hi21eu5vv20ij8nvrqsr3kfg69@4ax.com,
Les Herrman <Les Herrman> hunted and pecked:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:40:20 -0700, analog414
> <analog414@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> THE DNS CLIENT I BELIEVE WAS THE PROBLEM! I HAVE MY CONNECTION NOW! THANK
>> YOU, THANK YOU! RICK
>

> Actually it was probably one of the other services. The DNS service
> does not need to be running for you to use the Comcast Internet
> service.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:16:15 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
<123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

>Remote Procedure Call (RPC) has to run for almost anything to work on XP.
>DHCP Client has to be running for Comcast.
>ipconfig /displaydns and ipconfig /flushdns do *not* work with the DNS
>Client service *not* running.

I will still leave the DNS service disabled on my system and use my
Comcast Internet connection. The connection works just fine with the
DNS client service not running. I have no connection or any other
types of problems with my Comcast service with the DNS client service
disabled.

The DNS client service is used to cache DNS names for the computer. If
the service is disabled, then the computer simply goes upstream to get
the DNS names rather than using the cache. There is no reason to leave
this service running on a system connected to Comcast Internet
service.

Until you try ipconfig /displaydns or ipconfig /flushdns and wonder why you
see..

C:\>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.

C:\>ipconfig /displaydns

Windows IP Configuration

Could not display the DNS Resolver Cache.

C:\>

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3sbmg1lt3jrl7172cbpj5qt9417oflo37h@4ax.com,
Les Herrman <Les Herrman> hunted and pecked:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:16:15 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
> <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Remote Procedure Call (RPC) has to run for almost anything to work on XP.
>> DHCP Client has to be running for Comcast.
>> ipconfig /displaydns and ipconfig /flushdns do *not* work with the DNS
>> Client service *not* running.
>

> I will still leave the DNS service disabled on my system and use my
> Comcast Internet connection. The connection works just fine with the
> DNS client service not running. I have no connection or any other
> types of problems with my Comcast service with the DNS client service
> disabled.
>

> The DNS client service is used to cache DNS names for the computer. If
> the service is disabled, then the computer simply goes upstream to get
> the DNS names rather than using the cache. There is no reason to leave
> this service running on a system connected to Comcast Internet
> service.

Tisso

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Please help ! ! !

Our son's computer was having the same problem. I had it here at our house and when he took it home it was still trying to connect to our router.

When I open services, as mentioned in the suggestion posted here, MOST of them are 'disabled'. How do I know what should be disabled, which should be automatic and which should be manual?

Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated ! ! !

Thank you.

computers plus wi

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed renewing your ip address error solution:

I have a Gateway Desktop 300x running Windows XP Professional and had the same problem. The instructions below fixes the onboard LAN connection issue. What I did was updated the bios and it recovered my connection problem.

(FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW CAREFULLY, UPDATING THE BIOS RESETS ALL FAILING HARDWARE ISSUES WITH YOUR MACHINE)

1) Go to your manufactures website of your computer from another computer if the LAN on the machine does not connect to the internet, or optional hook up a usb wireless network adapter to have access to the internet on the machine that have the LAN connection issue.)

2) click on support or drivers download tab

2) type in the model, serial, or service tag where specified

3) There will be a list of drivers specifically for the model and make of you machine

4) look for bios update utility, and follow their instructions "CAREFULLY" (or you will mess up the bios and the computer will not ever boot again without manufacture support and be blessed sure that your machine is still under warranty Make sure you have the correct bios version for your machine by going into the bios screen make sure it matches the bios utility execution file of specifications of your machine in your computers manufactures website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS