Networking XP to Win98

August 21, 2005 10:25:01 PM

Hello. I am trying to network XP to Win98. Went through the XP process and
created the floppy for Win98. Installed it or prepared it. Everything went
fine. They both have Mcafee firewall. They both look cool as far as allowing
the other one. However, only XP sees the Win98 and the latter can not and
says can not connect to the network and contact your admin. Anyone have any
suggestion as to why and how? Thanks for taking the time.

More about : networking win98

August 22, 2005 9:12:31 AM

Chris wrote:

> Hello. I am trying to network XP to Win98. Went through the XP process
> and created the floppy for Win98. Installed it or prepared it.
> Everything went fine. They both have Mcafee firewall. They both look
> cool as far as allowing the other one. However, only XP sees the Win98
> and the latter can not and says can not connect to the network and
> contact your admin. Anyone have any suggestion as to why and how?
> Thanks for taking the time.

Some things to do/check:

1. On Win98, make sure that you are logging on using Client for
Microsoft Networks and not Windows Logon or the Family Logon. Make sure
that TCP/IP and File Sharing are installed/enabled. Remove IPX/SPX,
NetBEUI, and Client for NetWare networks if present.

2. Make a password for your user on Win98. You can then use TweakUI
(make sure you get the right one for Win98 - don't use the newer one
that is for XP) to set an automatic logon for convenience.

3. Create an identical user account and password on the XP box that
matches the one on the Win98 box.

4. Set the Mcafee firewall to allow the lan as Trusted.

5. Create shares on both machines.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers