XP Home, had stop errors, resolved, now no icons in XP

I had several stop errors. They occurred when in Windows and clicking on IE.
On click we got the blue screen, stop errors, abd memory dump messages. I
read into the stop erros and it appears to be caused by a device just
installed or a software. My wife just installed the Real Player, for the
Big-Brother network, which I didn't think was a good idea but what the heck.
The error also points to bad menory.

The checked out the memory, and followed MS instructions to complete the
Repair feature in the XP home cd. All is well now, it boots right into
windows, however, theres no icons... just my luck, and the same happens in
safe mode. Well, stop erros are gone but can't do anything in windows anyway.

Any ideas how to get my icons and start button back?
Thanks

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

GTP wrote:

> I had several stop errors. They occurred when in Windows and clicking on IE.
> On click we got the blue screen, stop errors, abd memory dump messages. I
> read into the stop erros and it appears to be caused by a device just
> installed or a software. My wife just installed the Real Player, for the
> Big-Brother network, which I didn't think was a good idea but what the heck.
> The error also points to bad menory.
>
> The checked out the memory, and followed MS instructions to complete the
> Repair feature in the XP home cd. All is well now, it boots right into
> windows, however, theres no icons... just my luck, and the same happens in
> safe mode. Well, stop erros are gone but can't do anything in windows anyway.
>
> Any ideas how to get my icons and start button back?
> Thanks

You can try running the edit on Kelly's site:

Line 195: Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar

See the top of the page for info on running the edit.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Ok,

Where do we go now. I installed the script, didn't work. I ran the spyware
check, system still not working. Ran the virus scan, all ok. Ran chkdsk, all
ok. Are there registry settings I should be looking at?

Thanks

"Rock" wrote:

> GTP wrote:
>
> > I had several stop errors. They occurred when in Windows and clicking on IE.
> > On click we got the blue screen, stop errors, abd memory dump messages. I
> > read into the stop erros and it appears to be caused by a device just
> > installed or a software. My wife just installed the Real Player, for the
> > Big-Brother network, which I didn't think was a good idea but what the heck.
> > The error also points to bad menory.
> >
> > The checked out the memory, and followed MS instructions to complete the
> > Repair feature in the XP home cd. All is well now, it boots right into
> > windows, however, theres no icons... just my luck, and the same happens in
> > safe mode. Well, stop erros are gone but can't do anything in windows anyway.
> >
> > Any ideas how to get my icons and start button back?
> > Thanks

> You can try running the edit on Kelly's site:

> Line 195: Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar
>
> See the top of the page for info on running the edit.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Andy

Use system restore, so that u can bring the machine into previous state.

"GTP" wrote:

> I had several stop errors. They occurred when in Windows and clicking on IE.
> On click we got the blue screen, stop errors, abd memory dump messages. I
> read into the stop erros and it appears to be caused by a device just
> installed or a software. My wife just installed the Real Player, for the
> Big-Brother network, which I didn't think was a good idea but what the heck.
> The error also points to bad menory.
>
> The checked out the memory, and followed MS instructions to complete the
> Repair feature in the XP home cd. All is well now, it boots right into
> windows, however, theres no icons... just my luck, and the same happens in
> safe mode. Well, stop erros are gone but can't do anything in windows anyway.
>
> Any ideas how to get my icons and start button back?
> Thanks

kelly

This generally has to do with display drivers. Within doing the repair you
have probably altered them. If you have recently done so or ran the MS
updates to do so, try a rollback via the Device Manager. If this is not the
case, use Ctrl/Alt/Delete and end process on Explorer.exe if it is listed
and either way, then go to File/New Task (Run) and type in: Explorer.exe.

Added info and help:

Restore Taskbar and Desktop to Default Functionality (Line 164)

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"GTP" <GTP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok,
>
> Where do we go now. I installed the script, didn't work. I ran the spyware
> check, system still not working. Ran the virus scan, all ok. Ran chkdsk,
> all
> ok. Are there registry settings I should be looking at?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> GTP wrote:
>>
>> > I had several stop errors. They occurred when in Windows and clicking
>> > on IE.
>> > On click we got the blue screen, stop errors, abd memory dump messages.
>> > read into the stop erros and it appears to be caused by a device just
>> > installed or a software. My wife just installed the Real Player, for
>> > the
>> > Big-Brother network, which I didn't think was a good idea but what the
>> > heck.
>> > The error also points to bad menory.
>> >
>> > The checked out the memory, and followed MS instructions to complete
>> > the
>> > Repair feature in the XP home cd. All is well now, it boots right into
>> > windows, however, theres no icons... just my luck, and the same happens
>> > in
>> > safe mode. Well, stop erros are gone but can't do anything in windows
>> > anyway.
>> >
>> > Any ideas how to get my icons and start button back?
>> > Thanks

>> You can try running the edit on Kelly's site:

>> Line 195: Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar
>>
>> See the top of the page for info on running the edit.
>>
>> --
>> Rock
>> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

I tried the previous restore but I have no restore points to go back to.
Thanks,
Greg

"Andy" wrote:

> Use system restore, so that u can bring the machine into previous state.
>

> "GTP" wrote:
>
> > I had several stop errors. They occurred when in Windows and clicking on IE.
> > On click we got the blue screen, stop errors, abd memory dump messages. I
> > read into the stop erros and it appears to be caused by a device just
> > installed or a software. My wife just installed the Real Player, for the
> > Big-Brother network, which I didn't think was a good idea but what the heck.
> > The error also points to bad menory.
> >
> > The checked out the memory, and followed MS instructions to complete the
> > Repair feature in the XP home cd. All is well now, it boots right into
> > windows, however, theres no icons... just my luck, and the same happens in
> > safe mode. Well, stop erros are gone but can't do anything in windows anyway.
> >
> > Any ideas how to get my icons and start button back?
> > Thanks

I will see if I can roll back the display drivers, that sounds like it might
work. As for the Explorer task, you can't end any tasks unless you create it.
Explorer is not in the task menu, and if I open it, you can see it open real
fast and disappear, it is then in the task manager, I then end it since it
does nothing.

Is there a keyword to type into Run for the Control Panel?

Thanks,
Greg

"Kelly" wrote:

> This generally has to do with display drivers. Within doing the repair you
> have probably altered them. If you have recently done so or ran the MS
> updates to do so, try a rollback via the Device Manager. If this is not the
> case, use Ctrl/Alt/Delete and end process on Explorer.exe if it is listed
> and either way, then go to File/New Task (Run) and type in: Explorer.exe.
>
> Added info and help:
>
> Restore Taskbar and Desktop to Default Functionality (Line 164)
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "GTP" <GTP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok,
> >
> > Where do we go now. I installed the script, didn't work. I ran the spyware
> > check, system still not working. Ran the virus scan, all ok. Ran chkdsk,
> > all
> > ok. Are there registry settings I should be looking at?
> >
> > Thanks

> >> You can try running the edit on Kelly's site:
> >>
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> >> Line 195: Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar
> >>
> >> See the top of the page for info on running the edit.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rock
> >> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

kelly

I see and yes for the Device Manager: Go to Start/Run:
RUNDLL32 SHELL32.DLL,Control_RunDLL sysdm.CPL,@0,2