Importing an Address Book (Contact List)

November 5, 2004 7:05:58 PM

Need a recommendation for how best to set up my Address Book in a Treo
600 (Palm 5.1.2 OS).

One of the main reasons I recently purchased a Treo 600 was to
consolidate my master list of contacts into a single, standardized
database. Currently, I have two lists. The first consists of over 450
telephone numbers of friends, business associates, and companies I
have compiled over the past 10 years into a Casio personal organizer.
This device is little more than a simple memo pad where each record
represents one address book entry, and all the information (name,
address, telephone number, email address, hours of operation, etc.) is
one long text string. The organizer is standalone and the information
cannot be ported to another device, so I will have to manually
transcribe these entries into some other software system or
spreadsheet. This device, although archaic by today's technology has
served me well. I even devised a simple method for labelling entries
(travel, legal, automotive, etc.) that allowed me to sort and pull up
entries by category.

The second list is much shorter, consists of friends and business
associates whom I mainly communicate with via email, and have compiled
into the address book of my email client, Mozilla Mail 1.7, which
conforms to the LDAP standard for contact records.

My ISP is Yahoo!, and it has an import function which allows me to
upload my Mozilla Mail address book into the Yahoo! address book.
Yahoo also has a Palm Synch function. Tonight, I downloaded my Yahoo!
address book and imported it into the Palm Desktop software. It did
not come across cleanly. There were mismatches in the sequence of
fields (name, company name, email address, etc.), between my Yahoo
address book and Palm.

I have several years experience designing and implementing databases,
so I know how to standardize a record layout, and create queries that
pull selected fields from a table so it matches the record layout of a
file I want to import into another application. My goal is to have
Mozilla Mail match Yahoo and Treo, so that regardless of which
application I add a new entry into, I can import it into the other
two. LDAP seems to be the standard to go with, but it appears Palm
Pilot does not accept that standard.

What do you suggest? Is Palm LDAP compliant, or must I look at a third
party application, or develop a process of my own?

Really appreciate any light you can shed on this problem.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 5:31:55 AM

On 5 Nov 2004 16:05:58 -0800, Jim Geeting had this to say...

> Need a recommendation for how best to set up my Address Book in a Treo
> 600 (Palm 5.1.2 OS).
>
> One of the main reasons I recently purchased a Treo 600 was to
> consolidate my master list of contacts into a single, standardized
> database. Currently, I have two lists. The first consists of over 450
> telephone numbers of friends, business associates, and companies I
> have compiled over the past 10 years into a Casio personal organizer.
> This device is little more than a simple memo pad where each record
> represents one address book entry, and all the information (name,
> address, telephone number, email address, hours of operation, etc.) is
> one long text string. The organizer is standalone and the information
> cannot be ported to another device, so I will have to manually
> transcribe these entries into some other software system or
> spreadsheet. This device, although archaic by today's technology has
> served me well. I even devised a simple method for labelling entries
> (travel, legal, automotive, etc.) that allowed me to sort and pull up
> entries by category.
>
> The second list is much shorter, consists of friends and business
> associates whom I mainly communicate with via email, and have compiled
> into the address book of my email client, Mozilla Mail 1.7, which
> conforms to the LDAP standard for contact records.
>
> My ISP is Yahoo!, and it has an import function which allows me to
> upload my Mozilla Mail address book into the Yahoo! address book.
> Yahoo also has a Palm Synch function. Tonight, I downloaded my Yahoo!
> address book and imported it into the Palm Desktop software. It did
> not come across cleanly. There were mismatches in the sequence of
> fields (name, company name, email address, etc.), between my Yahoo
> address book and Palm.
>
> I have several years experience designing and implementing databases,
> so I know how to standardize a record layout, and create queries that
> pull selected fields from a table so it matches the record layout of a
> file I want to import into another application. My goal is to have
> Mozilla Mail match Yahoo and Treo, so that regardless of which
> application I add a new entry into, I can import it into the other
> two. LDAP seems to be the standard to go with, but it appears Palm
> Pilot does not accept that standard.
>
> What do you suggest? Is Palm LDAP compliant, or must I look at a third
> party application, or develop a process of my own?
>
> Really appreciate any light you can shed on this problem.

Goto <http://kb.palmone.com&gt; PalmOne Knowledge Library and search by
Solution ID's;
2590 How to import a file into the Address Book application
3453 Importing a spreadsheet of addresses into your handheld's Contacts
list (Address Book)
3563 Importing data into Palm Desktop
3820 Helpful tips for importing files into Palm Desktop's Contacts
(Address Book)
16769 When importing CSV file into Palm Desktop's Address Book, fields
are mapped incorrectly

<http://www.contactsclippa.com/&gt; will insert contact info from web pages
to the Palm Desktop and is only $5.95usd

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson