Windos XP keeps losing .dll files

September 6, 2002 12:43:47 AM

I installed Win XP a week ago. Since then it has misplaced two .dll files. The first one was vct3216.dll and Win Media Player alerted me every time I executed it. So I got a copy off the net and put it in my System folder (problem solved). Today Norton's Win Doctor alerted me that gapi32.dll had disapeared from the sytems folder I found it in another folder so I replaced it. What could be causing this?? It's frustrating and annoying to say the least!

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.
September 6, 2002 1:08:29 PM

from usenet:

vct3216.dll:

vct3216.dll is the Voxware Toolkit, for the Voxware MetaSound/MetaVoice
codecs. It's kind of a buggy codec, so I wouldn't feel any particular need
to restore it. Potentially you could just delete (or rename to a non
msacm.* name):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32,
"msacm.voxacm160"
and this would go away.

See http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html for some generally helpful WMP
info.
--
"Richard Hay" <anotherwin95@nospam.anotherwin95.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> Started getting this error recently:
>
> When starting WMP get a warning dialog box that states "Unable to start
> service because vct3216.dll is missing".
>
> I choose OK on the dialog and WMP starts anyway and plays my music.

gapi32.dll:

Hi, it's a known issue with WinDoctor. Just mark it to "Ignore" on your
next scan and don't worry.
Here is the answer from Symantec:

WinDoctor cannot fix the error "'C:\WINNT\System32\MAPISRVR.EXE' cannot
access a
necessary file 'Gapi32.dll'"

Situation:
When you run WinDoctor, it reports the following problem:

"C:\WINNT\System32\MAPISRVR.EXE" cannot access a necessary file,
"Gapi32.dll."

When you try to fix the problem, WinDoctor says that it cannot fix it, even
though the files are present.

Solution:
There are two options for correcting this error:
Copy the file Gapi32.dll to where WinDoctor expects to find it
Tell WinDoctor to ignore the error

Copy the file Gapi32.dll to where WinDoctor expects to find it:
1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Navigate to the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033.
3. In the right Explorer pane, right-click on the file Gapi32.dll and
choose
Copy.
4. Navigate to the folder C:\Windows\System32.
5. Right click on the folder System32 and choose Paste.
6. Close Windows Explorer.
7. Reboot the computer.

Now, when you run WinDoctor, the error should no longer appear.

Tell WinDoctor to ignore the error
Since this appears to be a problem with WinDoctor, and not with the
Microsoft
files mentioned, it is probably safe to simply ignore the problems so
WinDoctor
will not keep detecting them. To ignore these problems, refer to the
document
Norton WinDoctor is unable to repair an error or finds the same errors
repeatedly.

Product(s): Norton Utilities 2001 v5.0 - WinNT/2000, Norton Utilities 2002
v6.0
- WinNT/2000/XP
Operating Systems(s): Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows NT
Document ID: 2000122906113009
Date Created: 12/29/2000
Last Modified: 12/21/2001

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
!