M/S Publisher 2003 w/ XP OS (Gaining control of programs a..

August 21, 2005 10:32:40 PM

Is there a procedure to re-activate the programs that were operating before
the hard disk malfunctioneed and became un-bootable without having to
individually re-install each of them. I posted earlier and have gotten some
access to the files but the system will still not let me copy the files to
another locatiion ! I'll keep trying but, it would help if some of the
programs i.e. M\S Works -Word etc... Were operating on that hard drive.
August 21, 2005 11:10:10 PM

fourbob7 wrote:

> Is there a procedure to re-activate the programs that were operating before
> the hard disk malfunctioneed and became un-bootable without having to
> individually re-install each of them. I posted earlier and have gotten some
> access to the files but the system will still not let me copy the files to
> another locatiion ! I'll keep trying but, it would help if some of the
> programs i.e. M\S Works -Word etc... Were operating on that hard drive.

Your post isn't very clear but it sounds like the hard disk wouldn't
boot so you got a new hard disk and installed XP on it. If that's the
case there's no way to run any of the programs installed on the other
drive, even if you can see the data on that drive. Reinstall the
programs from their original media.

Now consider some sort of backup solution. One option is a drive
imaging program that will create a compressed image of each partition on
the drive. These can be saved to an external hard drive or DVD.
Individual files and folders, partitions and the complete drive can be
restored quite easily. Programs that do this are Norton Ghost, Acronis
True Image, and Terabyte Unlimited's Image for Windows and BootItNG.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi,

What kind of repair did you do to get it working again? A repair
installation would retain programs, settings, and user accounts. A parallel
installation, or "overwrite" will not, and would require that you reinstall
software from the original installation media.

As to accessing files, as long as they weren't encrypted, you may simply
need to "take ownership" in order to access them. Please see this link on
"taking ownership" of a folder:
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"fourbob7" <fourbob7@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a procedure to re-activate the programs that were operating
> before
> the hard disk malfunctioneed and became un-bootable without having to
> individually re-install each of them. I posted earlier and have gotten
> some
> access to the files but the system will still not let me copy the files to
> another locatiion ! I'll keep trying but, it would help if some of the
> programs i.e. M\S Works -Word etc... Were operating on that hard drive.
August 22, 2005 1:51:58 AM

Last week my computer stopped booting from a 120 G Western Digital Hard drive
that I had purchased around 7/24/2004, naturally that was almost exactly 1
yr, so no warranty coverage. I purchased a Hitachi 80 GB from fry's and had
them install it and they also installed

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What kind of repair did you do to get it working again? A repair
> installation would retain programs, settings, and user accounts. A parallel
> installation, or "overwrite" will not, and would require that you reinstall
> software from the original installation media.
>
> As to accessing files, as long as they weren't encrypted, you may simply
> need to "take ownership" in order to access them. Please see this link on
> "taking ownership" of a folder:
> http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "fourbob7" <fourbob7@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a procedure to re-activate the programs that were operating
> > before
> > the hard disk malfunctioneed and became un-bootable without having to
> > individually re-install each of them. I posted earlier and have gotten
> > some
> > access to the files but the system will still not let me copy the files to
> > another locatiion ! I'll keep trying but, it would help if some of the
> > programs i.e. M\S Works -Word etc... Were operating on that hard drive.

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 10:00:41 AM

Hi,

Then the short of it is that you will need to reinstall the software.

--

!