M/S Publisher 2003 w/ XP OS (Gaining control of programs a..

Is there a procedure to re-activate the programs that were operating before
the hard disk malfunctioneed and became un-bootable without having to
individually re-install each of them. I posted earlier and have gotten some
access to the files but the system will still not let me copy the files to
another locatiion ! I'll keep trying but, it would help if some of the
programs i.e. M\S Works -Word etc... Were operating on that hard drive.
4 answers Last reply
More about publisher 2003 gaining control programs

    fourbob7 wrote:

    > Is there a procedure to re-activate the programs that were operating before
    > the hard disk malfunctioneed and became un-bootable without having to
    > individually re-install each of them. I posted earlier and have gotten some
    > access to the files but the system will still not let me copy the files to
    > another locatiion ! I'll keep trying but, it would help if some of the
    > programs i.e. M\S Works -Word etc... Were operating on that hard drive.

    Your post isn't very clear but it sounds like the hard disk wouldn't
    boot so you got a new hard disk and installed XP on it. If that's the
    case there's no way to run any of the programs installed on the other
    drive, even if you can see the data on that drive. Reinstall the
    programs from their original media.

    Now consider some sort of backup solution. One option is a drive
    imaging program that will create a compressed image of each partition on
    the drive. These can be saved to an external hard drive or DVD.
    Individual files and folders, partitions and the complete drive can be
    restored quite easily. Programs that do this are Norton Ghost, Acronis
    True Image, and Terabyte Unlimited's Image for Windows and BootItNG.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi,

    What kind of repair did you do to get it working again? A repair
    installation would retain programs, settings, and user accounts. A parallel
    installation, or "overwrite" will not, and would require that you reinstall
    software from the original installation media.

    As to accessing files, as long as they weren't encrypted, you may simply
    need to "take ownership" in order to access them. Please see this link on
    "taking ownership" of a folder:
    http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "fourbob7" <fourbob7@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a procedure to re-activate the programs that were operating
    > before
    > the hard disk malfunctioneed and became un-bootable without having to
    > individually re-install each of them. I posted earlier and have gotten
    > some
    > access to the files but the system will still not let me copy the files to
    > another locatiion ! I'll keep trying but, it would help if some of the
    > programs i.e. M\S Works -Word etc... Were operating on that hard drive.

    Last week my computer stopped booting from a 120 G Western Digital Hard drive
    that I had purchased around 7/24/2004, naturally that was almost exactly 1
    yr, so no warranty coverage. I purchased a Hitachi 80 GB from fry's and had
    them install it and they also installed

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > What kind of repair did you do to get it working again? A repair
    > installation would retain programs, settings, and user accounts. A parallel
    > installation, or "overwrite" will not, and would require that you reinstall
    > software from the original installation media.
    >
    > As to accessing files, as long as they weren't encrypted, you may simply
    > need to "take ownership" in order to access them. Please see this link on
    > "taking ownership" of a folder:
    > http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "fourbob7" <fourbob7@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there a procedure to re-activate the programs that were operating
    > > before
    > > the hard disk malfunctioneed and became un-bootable without having to
    > > individually re-install each of them. I posted earlier and have gotten
    > > some
    > > access to the files but the system will still not let me copy the files to
    > > another locatiion ! I'll keep trying but, it would help if some of the
    > > programs i.e. M\S Works -Word etc... Were operating on that hard drive.

    Hi,

    Then the short of it is that you will need to reinstall the software.

    --

    > Last week my computer stopped booting from a 120 G Western Digital Hard
    > drive
    > that I had purchased around 7/24/2004, naturally that was almost exactly 1
    > yr, so no warranty coverage. I purchased a Hitachi 80 GB from fry's and
    > had
    > them install it and they also installed
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> What kind of repair did you do to get it working again? A repair
    >> installation would retain programs, settings, and user accounts. A
    >> parallel
    >> installation, or "overwrite" will not, and would require that you
    >> reinstall
    >> software from the original installation media.
    >>
    >> As to accessing files, as long as they weren't encrypted, you may simply
    >> need to "take ownership" in order to access them. Please see this link on
    >> "taking ownership" of a folder:
    >> http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "fourbob7" <fourbob7@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Is there a procedure to re-activate the programs that were operating
    >> > before
    >> > the hard disk malfunctioneed and became un-bootable without having to
    >> > individually re-install each of them. I posted earlier and have gotten
    >> > some
    >> > access to the files but the system will still not let me copy the files
    >> > another locatiion ! I'll keep trying but, it would help if some of the
    >> > programs i.e. M\S Works -Word etc... Were operating on that hard
    >> > drive.

Windows XP Microsoft Hard Drives