Ultra DMA, Controller Card and Modes Question

Brock

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2004

Greets.

I have a WD 80 Meg capable of DMA mode 5. My mobo is an Intel mp440bx
which I believe can only handle DMA mode 2 with the last of the bios
revisions - the 4m4pbox1.15A.033. P21

I'm running at 1.2 ghz with the Powerleap ip/3 and running Windows XP
sr-2

My question is this: Will a new controller card capable of Ultra DMA
mode 5 help since the bios is only capable of reading up to mode 2 or
am I stuck at mode 2??

Thanks!!!

Yes, the controller card will add faster ATA support, and yes, with a
newer drive, it is worth the cost - most drives will now deliver in the
60s (MBps), about double what your onboard drive interface can handle.

Brock wrote:

> Greets.
>
> I have a WD 80 Meg capable of DMA mode 5. My mobo is an Intel mp440bx
> which I believe can only handle DMA mode 2 with the last of the bios
> revisions - the 4m4pbox1.15A.033. P21
>
> I'm running at 1.2 ghz with the Powerleap ip/3 and running Windows XP
> sr-2
>
> My question is this: Will a new controller card capable of Ultra DMA
> mode 5 help since the bios is only capable of reading up to mode 2 or
> am I stuck at mode 2??
>
> Thanks!!!

A new IDE controller card capable of DMA mode 5 would work, but I doubt that you
would see enough improvment in performance to justify buying and installing one.

.... Ben Myers

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:09:39 -0500, Brock <brock@fungo.net> wrote:

>Greets.
>
>I have a WD 80 Meg capable of DMA mode 5. My mobo is an Intel mp440bx
>which I believe can only handle DMA mode 2 with the last of the bios
>revisions - the 4m4pbox1.15A.033. P21
>
>I'm running at 1.2 ghz with the Powerleap ip/3 and running Windows XP
>sr-2
>
>My question is this: Will a new controller card capable of Ultra DMA
>mode 5 help since the bios is only capable of reading up to mode 2 or
>am I stuck at mode 2??
>
>Thanks!!!

I remain skeptical of the real benefits here, but you never know... Ben Myers

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:56:50 -0500, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

>Yes, the controller card will add faster ATA support, and yes, with a
>newer drive, it is worth the cost - most drives will now deliver in the
>60s (MBps), about double what your onboard drive interface can handle.
>

>Brock wrote:
>>
>> Greets.
>>
>> I have a WD 80 Meg capable of DMA mode 5. My mobo is an Intel mp440bx
>> which I believe can only handle DMA mode 2 with the last of the bios
>> revisions - the 4m4pbox1.15A.033. P21
>>
>> I'm running at 1.2 ghz with the Powerleap ip/3 and running Windows XP
>> sr-2
>>
>> My question is this: Will a new controller card capable of Ultra DMA
>> mode 5 help since the bios is only capable of reading up to mode 2 or
>> am I stuck at mode 2??
>>
>> Thanks!!!

Brock

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2004

Thanks for the answers and opinions as well, guys. :) I wasn't sure if
my mobo bios would restrict me but I think the I/O cards have their
own bios?

I'll try to do some benchmarking and try to see what the gains
actually are once I get it in there. Looks like I'll prolly pick up
the Promise Ultra100 TX2 or something similar.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:17:25 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>I remain skeptical of the real benefits here, but you never know... Ben Myers
>
>On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:56:50 -0500, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>Yes, the controller card will add faster ATA support, and yes, with a
>>newer drive, it is worth the cost - most drives will now deliver in the
>>60s (MBps), about double what your onboard drive interface can handle.
>>

>>Brock wrote:
>>>
>>> Greets.
>>>
>>> I have a WD 80 Meg capable of DMA mode 5. My mobo is an Intel mp440bx
>>> which I believe can only handle DMA mode 2 with the last of the bios
>>> revisions - the 4m4pbox1.15A.033. P21
>>>
>>> I'm running at 1.2 ghz with the Powerleap ip/3 and running Windows XP
>>> sr-2
>>>
>>> My question is this: Will a new controller card capable of Ultra DMA
>>> mode 5 help since the bios is only capable of reading up to mode 2 or
>>> am I stuck at mode 2??
>>>
>>> Thanks!!!

I/O cards like the Promise Ultra 100 have their own BIOS to either supplement or
replace the motherboard BIOS... Ben Myers