I'm currently running windows XP Pro on one Hard drive. I also have second
hard drive which has some data in it but not plug in to my system right now.
Is it possible that i can plug in my second hard drive as slave (by jumper
setting) without turning off my computer, and beable to see and transfer data
from my second hard drive to my first hard drive. Is it safe and possible to
do that?

"Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently running windows XP Pro on one Hard drive. I also have second
> hard drive which has some data in it but not plug in to my system right
> now.
> Is it possible that i can plug in my second hard drive as slave (by jumper
> setting) without turning off my computer, and beable to see and transfer
> data
> from my second hard drive to my first hard drive. Is it safe and possible
> do that?

No it is not. It could damage both hard drives and your motherboard. It is
safe to purchase a USB drive enclosure, install the 2nd drive in it, then
attach it to a USB port without without turning off your pc.

OK, guys it is very much clear now. I had an idea it is not good practice,
but i was just curious that i might be able to do that.
Thanx u all.

NO, you must turn off all power to the pc BEFORE going into the case & putting in hardware.
Otherwise, you can hook it up as a slave drive.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Jatinder wrote:
> I'm currently running windows XP Pro on one Hard drive. I also have
> second hard drive which has some data in it but not plug in to my
> system right now. Is it possible that i can plug in my second hard
> drive as slave (by jumper setting) without turning off my computer,
> and beable to see and transfer data from my second hard drive to my
> first hard drive. Is it safe and possible to do that?

U mean i can hook my second hard drive as slave without turnuing off the
power.

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> NO, you must turn off all power to the pc BEFORE going into the case & putting in hardware.
> Otherwise, you can hook it up as a slave drive.
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> Jatinder wrote:
> > I'm currently running windows XP Pro on one Hard drive. I also have
> > second hard drive which has some data in it but not plug in to my
> > system right now. Is it possible that i can plug in my second hard
> > drive as slave (by jumper setting) without turning off my computer,
> > and beable to see and transfer data from my second hard drive to my
> > first hard drive. Is it safe and possible to do that?

To make this clear. Turn Off the Power before you connect anything inside a
computer case. Do not turn the power back on until you have connected the
hard drive or you'll likely fry something - maybe even your fingers.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> U mean i can hook my second hard drive as slave without turnuing off the
> power.
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> NO, you must turn off all power to the pc BEFORE going into the case &
>> putting in hardware.
>> Otherwise, you can hook it up as a slave drive.
>>
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> Jatinder wrote:
>> > I'm currently running windows XP Pro on one Hard drive. I also have
>> > second hard drive which has some data in it but not plug in to my
>> > system right now. Is it possible that i can plug in my second hard
>> > drive as slave (by jumper setting) without turning off my computer,
>> > and beable to see and transfer data from my second hard drive to my
>> > first hard drive. Is it safe and possible to do that?

NO ! You have to have power off. Whay would you do it with power on??

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Jatinder wrote:
> U mean i can hook my second hard drive as slave without turnuing off
> the power.
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> NO, you must turn off all power to the pc BEFORE going into the case
>> & putting in hardware. Otherwise, you can hook it up as a slave
>> drive.
>>
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> Jatinder wrote:
>>> I'm currently running windows XP Pro on one Hard drive. I also have
>>> second hard drive which has some data in it but not plug in to my
>>> system right now. Is it possible that i can plug in my second hard
>>> drive as slave (by jumper setting) without turning off my computer,
>>> and beable to see and transfer data from my second hard drive to my
>>> first hard drive. Is it safe and possible to do that?

No

"Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> U mean i can hook my second hard drive as slave without turnuing off the
> power.
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> NO, you must turn off all power to the pc BEFORE going into the case &
>> putting in hardware.
>> Otherwise, you can hook it up as a slave drive.
>>
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> Jatinder wrote:
>> > I'm currently running windows XP Pro on one Hard drive. I also have
>> > second hard drive which has some data in it but not plug in to my
>> > system right now. Is it possible that i can plug in my second hard
>> > drive as slave (by jumper setting) without turning off my computer,
>> > and beable to see and transfer data from my second hard drive to my
>> > first hard drive. Is it safe and possible to do that?

Joe

Take away her PC, she will get killed sticking her hands in a turned on PC,
This has to be a joke right??

Jatinder wrote:
> U mean i can hook my second hard drive as slave without turnuing off
> the power.
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> NO, you must turn off all power to the pc BEFORE going into the case
>> & putting in hardware. Otherwise, you can hook it up as a slave
>> drive.
>>
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> Jatinder wrote:
>>> I'm currently running windows XP Pro on one Hard drive. I also have
>>> second hard drive which has some data in it but not plug in to my
>>> system right now. Is it possible that i can plug in my second hard
>>> drive as slave (by jumper setting) without turning off my computer,
>>> and beable to see and transfer data from my second hard drive to my
>>> first hard drive. Is it safe and possible to do that?

No PC that I know of comes with a "hot" connect/disconnect configuration for
internally connected hard drives. So, the answer is don't do it. Turn off
the PC, and disconnect the power plug from the wall outlet before making the
changes.

If your current hard drive is made by Western Digital, you will have to
change the current jumper setting from master alone to master with slave
when adding a hard drive to the same ide ribbon cable. Other hard drive
makers don't have this requirement.

If the PC of the added hard drive orginally came from is dated, or the one
you're using now, or both; there may be a partition and/or filesystem
recognition problem. You may read gibberish on the added hard drive as a
result. Or, if severe, windows may not recognize the partition existing at
all.