Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello, I bought the new windows 7, it was not compatable with my old pc and now I have a laptop. I have lost the product key but have proof of purchase

welshmousepk

Distinguished
are you trying to get a refund from us? ...

you cant return a licensed product without a serial.

you don't pay for the disk, you pay for the license. if you don't have the CD key, you don't have the license.

this would be like trying to return the car keys, after losing the car.

so whoever you bought it from, will not give you a refund (or at least, legally they can't)

4745454b

Titan
My guess is he has a copy of win7 that he tried to put on his computer, and couldn't because it was to old. He now wants to put it on his laptop, but can't because he lost the key. If this is the case the OP is still screwed because as mentioned he didn't buy the disk but the key. You can try contacting MS, but I doubt they will be helpful.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

i assumed becuase he mentioned proof of purchase, that he was after a refund.

either way, the law is pretty rigid in this sense. he can't get a refund, and i doubt Microsoft will just give him a new license.

If he has proof of purchase that can be tracked by the OEM they might give you a new key (though usually with a shipping & handling fee), they will disable the old key. However, the tracking happens on the OEM side of the equation not M$, so either way he has to contact the company he bought it from.

Depends on the OEM, Fujitsu had mine on record when I asked for the XP downgrade, DELL has our work ones tied to the serial # (it shows up with *** in our master lists too when we do the upgrades every 18months as part of our contract with DELL).

Really depends on the OEM, some track them and some don't, Gateway couldn't even tell the OS I had let alone details.

I'm not saying they all do it, but it's pretty much his only option, M$ isn't going to do something from a third party although asking has helped some people in the past during the early launches of XP and Vista where there were alot of issues, but they are the exception, far from the standard IMO.

4745454b

Titan
Brain fart, I was thinking etail. An OEM would have installed or shipped from their stores, so they might have seen/recorded the key.

As a side note, this is where recording your serial numbers is a good idea. You can use a text file, or a program to do this. This way if you lose the piece of paper, you can still use what you bought. I am a huge fan of the latest patch for D2. I kept my serial numbers safe, and even though my disks have been badly scratched, I can still install and play the game with disks from online and my own key. This is perhaps the best thing about buying a key. The down side has already been mentioned by the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS