Sign in with
Your question

Will AMD64 makes multiprocessor desktops more comm

Last response: in CPUs
July 10, 2003 2:22:48 PM

After going through the hammer architecture I have a doubt.It have integrated memory controller and hypertransport technology and they offer more scalability.Because of the integrated memory controller the bandwidth scales with the number of processors too.So,considering AMDs cheap pricing policy multiprocessor motherboards will get some sales boost with Athlon 64.If the motherboard processor(s) combination is offering competitive prices who can resist?Do you think this chance is remote?
July 10, 2003 2:59:26 PM

Personally, I find it somewhat unlikely until there is better support in mainstream applications and games for multiprocessors... fact is presently you don't gain much from having a smp system in the most common apps like games and really who needs a big smp system to do office applications?

Shadus
July 10, 2003 3:05:35 PM

I tend to agree to that. I do not think A64 will make SMP more attractive because of that... But I may be wrong. SMP is not that widely useful... yet.

I think that HT is already a very interesting technology in that sense. And as it matures, more programs will be multithreaded, which *might* ease in multiprocessor configurations as an all-around alternative - but it'll probably take time. Dual core processors could go all the way to the desktop, too... but before that, all desktops can also move to 64 bits (including Intel's). Lots of room for improvement, anyway. But I don't see that exact MP scenario with A64 happening anytime soon...
Related resources
July 10, 2003 7:17:48 PM

What about the chance for dual CPUS?If he can assemble a dual A64 for the price of a system with the fastest intel processor,a poweruser will go for that option.Software support is an issue ,however.
July 10, 2003 7:24:31 PM

Yes, software support is very important for things like that. However, I don't think A64 will be that agressively priced! While Prescott may cost $640, I certainly wouldn't expect the initial A64s to cost any less than, say, $500 or $600... Besides, AMD's pricing scheme has changed toward more expensive lately... And also, A64 is not dual-processor capable at all. Opteron is, but two Opteron 244s will cost you well over $1300...
July 10, 2003 8:20:43 PM

Um, the AM Athlon 64 is not SMP capable. The Opteron is. Currently only 2-way motherboards are available for the Opteron but Opteron pricing is still extremely high. So anything like a 4-way or 8-way solution is currently OEM and priced way out of our league.

But if you thought dual-processor desktops were going to become more common you'd have thought the Athlon XP would have made that happen already but it hasn't. They remain a thing for fanboys and enthusiasts and of course, servers.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:
July 10, 2003 8:21:25 PM

The problem is no different today than it will be with Multicpu boxes with A64. Why doesn't each of us 'powerusers' who are gamers have multiprocessor boxes? Because, the extra processor is a dust collector effectively unless the game supports smp processing... and 90%+ don't.

Unless things change at software level you will see multiprocessor machines being bought by the EXACT same crowd you see buying them now (and a much smaller crowd than the hardware enthu crowd in general.)

Graphics designers who do large scale rendering, database applications, servers, etc.

It's functionally useless for what the vast majority of us use our computers for.

I guess I could claim some use as a programmer, but I can't justify it...

Shadus
July 10, 2003 11:39:14 PM

Quote:
So,considering AMDs cheap pricing policy multiprocessor motherboards will get some sales boost with Athlon 64.If the motherboard processor(s) combination is offering competitive prices who can resist?Do you think this chance is remote?

This is a moot point. At MML2, AMD cleared up all of this. The Athlon64 will NOT be multiprocessor capable. That functionality will be reserved for the Opteron. Opteron=server class CPU, A64=Desktop class CPU, and they will both be priced accordingly. And I may be wrong here, but from what I gathered, the A64 and the Opteron may essentially be the same part in a slightly different configuration, with different prices to match, much like Intel does with it's chips and locked multipliers. Perhaps someone with a better memory than mine who was at MML2 can better recall what was said. The bottom line, it all comes down to marketing. Even if they do have the same guts, only the Opteron will be MP enabled, and it will cost WAY more than the Athlon 64.

So if you want a really want a multiprocessor AMD, you're going to have to get an Opteron system, which, by no measure of the term, could be considered cheap.

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML
October 3, 2003 6:52:38 PM

I think this thread is having more validity now
!