Presario 5834: CD Burner Questions

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I have a Presario 5834 which was given to me free by a friend who no
longer had use for it.

I am having problems with the CD burner making coasters.

The system came with system restore disks that load the factory installed
software. These disks install the CeQuadrat program for creating burned
CD-R's and packet writing CD-RW's.

This program is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the worst computer program I
have ever seen.

The data disks I have been attempting to make are apparently "open" (the
session has not been closed) and cause the entire system to hang up when
attemping to opem them in Explorer. I know this because I have CDR
Diagnostic on my other machine which shows them as an open session. That
machine has the Adaptec burning program mated with a TEAC CDR-54W burner
which has created a total of two coasters in the 10 years I have had it.
Adaptec offers to close the CDR coasters made by Cequadrat, but then
reports an error in doing so. The disks cannot be read by any of my
available drives.

My questions are:
1) What brand and model CD burner is installed in my Presario 5834? I have
been unable to determine by looking at any system info setting or files.
It only shows it as being a 4x4x24 speed generic drive.

2) What firmware revision level should this burner be at? It is currently
at revision level C12a. Where do I get a later version if one exists?

3) Should DMA be enabled? It is presently off. The burner shows no signs
of buffer problems capacity problems when burning so I have left DMA off.

4) What freeware CD burner program will be compatable with this drive? I
intend to uninstall Cequadrat ASAP and get rid of it. I have downloaded a
copy of the DeepBurner but have not installed it yet. I did attempt to
load the Adaptec program (from my other burner) onto this machine. I think
it conflicted with some parts of Cequadrat that refused to uninstall when
I made that attempt.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

SL

I cannot think of a burn that worked well with the supplied Adaptec software
that came with the CD burner. It always caused me headaches. That is when
a kind person mentioned Nero. Go to their site and download a copy. You
will probably never look back. I would remove the Adaptec software first
before installing Nero. Just to avoid any possible conflicts.
Adaptec may of have gotten better over time, but Im not taking chances on
their stuff anymore.

Good luck,
SL
"Dave" <Dav1936531@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I have a Presario 5834 which was given to me free by a friend who no
> longer had use for it.
>
> I am having problems with the CD burner making coasters.
>
> The system came with system restore disks that load the factory installed
> software. These disks install the CeQuadrat program for creating burned
> CD-R's and packet writing CD-RW's.
>
> This program is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the worst computer program I
> have ever seen.
>
> The data disks I have been attempting to make are apparently "open" (the
> session has not been closed) and cause the entire system to hang up when
> attemping to opem them in Explorer. I know this because I have CDR
> Diagnostic on my other machine which shows them as an open session. That
> machine has the Adaptec burning program mated with a TEAC CDR-54W burner
> which has created a total of two coasters in the 10 years I have had it.
> Adaptec offers to close the CDR coasters made by Cequadrat, but then
> reports an error in doing so. The disks cannot be read by any of my
> available drives.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) What brand and model CD burner is installed in my Presario 5834? I have
> been unable to determine by looking at any system info setting or files.
> It only shows it as being a 4x4x24 speed generic drive.
>
> 2) What firmware revision level should this burner be at? It is currently
> at revision level C12a. Where do I get a later version if one exists?
>
> 3) Should DMA be enabled? It is presently off. The burner shows no signs
> of buffer problems capacity problems when burning so I have left DMA off.
>
> 4) What freeware CD burner program will be compatable with this drive? I
> intend to uninstall Cequadrat ASAP and get rid of it. I have downloaded a
> copy of the DeepBurner but have not installed it yet. I did attempt to
> load the Adaptec program (from my other burner) onto this machine. I think
> it conflicted with some parts of Cequadrat that refused to uninstall when
> I made that attempt.
>
> Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Dave

dos

"Dave" <Dav1936531@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I have a Presario 5834 which was given to me free by a friend who no
> longer had use for it.
>
> I am having problems with the CD burner making coasters.
>
> The system came with system restore disks that load the factory installed
> software. These disks install the CeQuadrat program for creating burned
> CD-R's and packet writing CD-RW's.
>
> This program is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the worst computer program I
> have ever seen.
>
> The data disks I have been attempting to make are apparently "open" (the
> session has not been closed) and cause the entire system to hang up when
> attemping to opem them in Explorer. I know this because I have CDR
> Diagnostic on my other machine which shows them as an open session. That
> machine has the Adaptec burning program mated with a TEAC CDR-54W burner
> which has created a total of two coasters in the 10 years I have had it.
> Adaptec offers to close the CDR coasters made by Cequadrat, but then
> reports an error in doing so. The disks cannot be read by any of my
> available drives.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) What brand and model CD burner is installed in my Presario 5834? I have
> been unable to determine by looking at any system info setting or files.
> It only shows it as being a 4x4x24 speed generic drive.

Most likely a Samsung. Go to newegg.com and get a new burner, around 25.00
with shipping.

> 2) What firmware revision level should this burner be at? It is currently
> at revision level C12a. Where do I get a later version if one exists?

The burner was made in 1999.