Well microsoft does it again!! After spendig 2 hours cleaning up spyware,
adware and viruses I needed to do a repair on a XP Home computer that was
completley updated from Microfts Update Website. This is where it begins.
All was going fine until a message popped up saying UNREGMP2.EXE "**GetIUMS
could not be located in the DLL msdart.dll**". I clicked the OK button
multiple times but the error wouldn't go away. I did notice the splash
screens telling me how lucky I was to own XP were still changing in the back
ground. I waited it out for over and hour and noticed the splash screens had
started over from the begining. At this point I clicked the OK button on the
UNREGMP2.EXE 10-15 more times and it still wouldn't go away. So what's a
tech to do when you are 20 miles from the shop and no internet connection?
Hit the power and pack it to the shop was my guess. WRONG!!! Now after
getting it back to the shop I now longer have the option the repair the
installation from anywhere except the command prompt which is totally
worthless.

I now know it failed becaues the media player was upgraded to V.10. Thanks
Microsoft for wasting anothe day of my life.

In short, now what the hell do I do to repair this installation or is it
even possible?

It isn't like this is the first time I have done a XP repair. I have 12
years experience in the computer field, mostly fixing sh*tty microsoft half
baked software.

No answer to your current problem but in the future make a full system
backup before you start working on a client's system. BTW taking a laptop on
a house call is also a prudent idea.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"technojoe" <technojoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well microsoft does it again!! After spendig 2 hours cleaning up spyware,
> adware and viruses I needed to do a repair on a XP Home computer that was
> completley updated from Microfts Update Website. This is where it begins.
> All was going fine until a message popped up saying UNREGMP2.EXE
> "**GetIUMS
> could not be located in the DLL msdart.dll**". I clicked the OK button
> multiple times but the error wouldn't go away. I did notice the splash
> screens telling me how lucky I was to own XP were still changing in the
> back
> ground. I waited it out for over and hour and noticed the splash screens
> had
> started over from the begining. At this point I clicked the OK button on
> the
> UNREGMP2.EXE 10-15 more times and it still wouldn't go away. So what's a
> tech to do when you are 20 miles from the shop and no internet connection?
> Hit the power and pack it to the shop was my guess. WRONG!!! Now after
> getting it back to the shop I now longer have the option the repair the
> installation from anywhere except the command prompt which is totally
> worthless.
>
> I now know it failed becaues the media player was upgraded to V.10.
> Thanks
> Microsoft for wasting anothe day of my life.
>
> In short, now what the hell do I do to repair this installation or is it
> even possible?
>
> It isn't like this is the first time I have done a XP repair. I have 12
> years experience in the computer field, mostly fixing sh*tty microsoft
> half
> baked software.

This is caused by Windows XP improperly naming the msdart dll file.
Download (save) DARTFIX.BAT to your desktop and click on it. This will
make a copy of MSDART.DLL and name it MSDART32.DLL. It will be placed
in the Windows/System32 directory.

Ref: http://www.tdatacorp.com/faq/AIB.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"technojoe" wrote:

| Well I did it again!! After spendig 2 hours cleaning up spyware,
| adware and viruses I needed to do a repair on a XP Home computer that was
| completley updated from Microfts Update Website. This is where it begins.
| All was going fine until a message popped up saying UNREGMP2.EXE "**GetIUMS
| could not be located in the DLL msdart.dll**". I clicked the OK button
| multiple times but the error wouldn't go away. I did notice the splash
| screens telling me how lucky I was to own XP were still changing in the back
| ground. I waited it out for over and hour and noticed the splash screens had
| started over from the begining. At this point I clicked the OK button on the
| UNREGMP2.EXE 10-15 more times and it still wouldn't go away. So what's a
| tech to do when you are 20 miles from the shop and no internet connection?
| Hit the power and pack it to the shop was my guess. WRONG!!! Now after
| getting it back to the shop I now longer have the option the repair the
| installation from anywhere except the command prompt which is totally
| worthless.
|
| I now know it failed becaues the media player was upgraded to V.10. Thanks
| to my own inepitude for wasting anothe day of my life.
|
| In short, now what the heck do I do to repair this installation or is it
| even possible?
|
| It isn't like this is the first time I have done a XP repair. I have 12
| years experience in the computer field, mostly fixing my own screw-ups.

Kinda hard to do when the computer won't boot to the desktop.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> This is caused by Windows XP improperly naming the msdart dll file.
> Download (save) DARTFIX.BAT to your desktop and click on it. This will
> make a copy of MSDART.DLL and name it MSDART32.DLL. It will be placed
> in the Windows/System32 directory.
>
> Ref: http://www.tdatacorp.com/faq/AIB.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "technojoe" wrote:
>
> | Well I did it again!! After spendig 2 hours cleaning up spyware,
> | adware and viruses I needed to do a repair on a XP Home computer that was
> | completley updated from Microfts Update Website. This is where it begins.
> | All was going fine until a message popped up saying UNREGMP2.EXE "**GetIUMS
> | could not be located in the DLL msdart.dll**". I clicked the OK button
> | multiple times but the error wouldn't go away. I did notice the splash
> | screens telling me how lucky I was to own XP were still changing in the back
> | ground. I waited it out for over and hour and noticed the splash screens had
> | started over from the begining. At this point I clicked the OK button on the
> | UNREGMP2.EXE 10-15 more times and it still wouldn't go away. So what's a
> | tech to do when you are 20 miles from the shop and no internet connection?
> | Hit the power and pack it to the shop was my guess. WRONG!!! Now after
> | getting it back to the shop I now longer have the option the repair the
> | installation from anywhere except the command prompt which is totally
> | worthless.
> |
> | I now know it failed becaues the media player was upgraded to V.10. Thanks
> | to my own inepitude for wasting anothe day of my life.
> |
> | In short, now what the heck do I do to repair this installation or is it
> | even possible?
> |
> | It isn't like this is the first time I have done a XP repair. I have 12
> | years experience in the computer field, mostly fixing my own screw-ups.

The computer boots to a a screen sayiny the "Windows could not start because
the following file is missingor corrupt:
\\windows\system32\config\system

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> This is caused by Windows XP improperly naming the msdart dll file.
> Download (save) DARTFIX.BAT to your desktop and click on it. This will
> make a copy of MSDART.DLL and name it MSDART32.DLL. It will be placed
> in the Windows/System32 directory.
>
> Ref: http://www.tdatacorp.com/faq/AIB.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "technojoe" wrote:
>
> | Well I did it again!! After spendig 2 hours cleaning up spyware,
> | adware and viruses I needed to do a repair on a XP Home computer that was
> | completley updated from Microfts Update Website. This is where it begins.
> | All was going fine until a message popped up saying UNREGMP2.EXE "**GetIUMS
> | could not be located in the DLL msdart.dll**". I clicked the OK button
> | multiple times but the error wouldn't go away. I did notice the splash
> | screens telling me how lucky I was to own XP were still changing in the back
> | ground. I waited it out for over and hour and noticed the splash screens had
> | started over from the begining. At this point I clicked the OK button on the
> | UNREGMP2.EXE 10-15 more times and it still wouldn't go away. So what's a
> | tech to do when you are 20 miles from the shop and no internet connection?
> | Hit the power and pack it to the shop was my guess. WRONG!!! Now after
> | getting it back to the shop I now longer have the option the repair the
> | installation from anywhere except the command prompt which is totally
> | worthless.
> |
> | I now know it failed becaues the media player was upgraded to V.10. Thanks
> | to my own inepitude for wasting anothe day of my life.
> |
> | In short, now what the heck do I do to repair this installation or is it
> | even possible?
> |
> | It isn't like this is the first time I have done a XP repair. I have 12
> | years experience in the computer field, mostly fixing my own screw-ups.

technojoe <technojoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

|>The computer boots to a a screen sayiny the "Windows could not start because
|> the following file is missingor corrupt:
|>\\windows\system32\config\system

That's a registry error, if it continues to error out; boot with the
CD and repair the floppy.

If you don't have NTFS as a file directory you can boot up with a
Win98 boot disk and run DARTFIX.BAT as mention'd (www.bootdisk.com)

If NTFS after you repair the registry or it fix's itself, see if you
can safe boot into XP then run Dartfix.bat.

An article on your same situation http://tinyurl.com/dkne4

|>"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
|>
|>> This is caused by Windows XP improperly naming the msdart dll file.
|>> Download (save) DARTFIX.BAT to your desktop and click on it. This will
|>> make a copy of MSDART.DLL and name it MSDART32.DLL. It will be placed
|>> in the Windows/System32 directory.
|>>
|>> Ref: http://www.tdatacorp.com/faq/AIB.html
|>>
|>> --
|>> Carey Frisch
|>> Microsoft MVP
|>> Windows XP - Shell/User
|>> Microsoft Newsgroups
|>>
|>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|>> |
|>> |
|>> |

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:

|>That's a registry error, if it continues to error out; boot with the
|>CD and repair the floppy.

Of course I ment repair the registry.

For this issue:
UNREGMP2.EXE
> > "**GetIUMS
> > could not be located in the DLL msdart.dll

During the erro hit shift and F10
Type in taskmgr and hit enter.
Find unregmp2.exe under processes and terminate it.
Close task manager
Type exit and press enter.

For your registry issue(may be redundant since you are in the middle of a
repair) try KB article 307545.

So what's a
> > tech to do when you are 20 miles from the shop and no internet connection?
> > Hit the power and pack it to the shop was my guess. WRONG!!! Now after
> > getting it back to the shop I now longer have the option the repair the
> > installation from anywhere except the command prompt which is totally
> > worthless.

Wow, you blow up a customers machine due to the fact you were not prepared
and did not have the knowledge to repair the computer. If I were your boss
(at whatever computer shop you speak off) I would most like be considering
terminating your employment as YOU are a risk to customer satisfaction not to
mention there personal data and hardware.
Perhaps take the "Windows XP Tour" to learn more about it.

Theres my rant.

Thank you