tech: bally six million dollar man won't boot

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

When I turn the machine on the LED blinks 6 times and then stops (I believe
it normally blinks 7 times before booting). I cannot access the self-test
mode via the button on the coin door. I hadn't played the machine for a
week or two (we were getting ready to move, no time) and when I tried to
turn it on, that's what I got. I've since moved, hooked it back up and I
still have the same problem.

Anyone have ideas about what might be wrong with it? It's the only SS
machine I own as everything else is EM so this is definitely out of my
comfort zone as far as trouble shooting goes.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Dave

Flash 6X is usually a symptom of a blown solenoid fuse on your game causing
no input to the Zero crossing circuit.
on the bridge rectifier remove fuse F4 5amp fuse and verify with your ohm
meter that it's good.

If it is not the fuse you Verify the voltages at TP1 - TP5 on the MPU.
Finally you could try swapping the U10 and U11 6821 PIA chips.

You'll also find lots of repair info at: http://marvin3m.com/fix.htm see
the bally 77-85 section.

Regards, Dallas...

--
Home Page: www.geocities.com/d_overturf
Replies regarding News Group messages to me may get a challenge verifier

"dave" <egyptrus@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> When I turn the machine on the LED blinks 6 times and then stops (I
> believe
> it normally blinks 7 times before booting). I cannot access the self-test
> mode via the button on the coin door. I hadn't played the machine for a
> week or two (we were getting ready to move, no time) and when I tried to
> turn it on, that's what I got. I've since moved, hooked it back up and I
> still have the same problem.
>
> Anyone have ideas about what might be wrong with it? It's the only SS
> machine I own as everything else is EM so this is definitely out of my
> comfort zone as far as trouble shooting goes.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
>
> Dave

Self test won't work if the MPU doesn't boot up. I'd drill or pic the
lock soon. Check the connectors on the rectifer board and solenoid
driver board if it's not f4.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Ok, I checked the fuse at f4 and it's fine. I also had a friend who's
better versed in electronics come over and give me a hand checking to make
sure we had voltage across F4, which we do.

We also checked the various TP connectors and all of them had the proper
voltage.

So, if the fuse is good and the power is good, what's left to check when you
don't get the 7th blink? Following the information on Marvin's site I
checked the resistors and they seemed right as well.

I think the final thing it indicated might be a problem is U7. I don't
really know how to check that to make sure it's good so now I'm back to the
group to see if there's any more advice.

Thanks in advance for your help, I appreciate it.

Dave

"dave" <egyptrus@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> When I turn the machine on the LED blinks 6 times and then stops (I
believe
> it normally blinks 7 times before booting). I cannot access the self-test
> mode via the button on the coin door. I hadn't played the machine for a
> week or two (we were getting ready to move, no time) and when I tried to
> turn it on, that's what I got. I've since moved, hooked it back up and I
> still have the same problem.
>
> Anyone have ideas about what might be wrong with it? It's the only SS
> machine I own as everything else is EM so this is definitely out of my
> comfort zone as far as trouble shooting goes.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
>
> Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Buehler...Buehler...

Someone must have another idea for me to try...

Thanks.

> Ok, I checked the fuse at f4 and it's fine. I also had a friend who's
> better versed in electronics come over and give me a hand checking to make
> sure we had voltage across F4, which we do.
>
> We also checked the various TP connectors and all of them had the proper
> voltage.
>
> So, if the fuse is good and the power is good, what's left to check when
you
> don't get the 7th blink? Following the information on Marvin's site I
> checked the resistors and they seemed right as well.
>
> I think the final thing it indicated might be a problem is U7. I don't
> really know how to check that to make sure it's good so now I'm back to
the
> group to see if there's any more advice.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help, I appreciate it.
>
> Dave
>
> "dave" <egyptrus@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > When I turn the machine on the LED blinks 6 times and then stops (I
> believe
> > it normally blinks 7 times before booting). I cannot access the
self-test
> > mode via the button on the coin door. I hadn't played the machine for a
> > week or two (we were getting ready to move, no time) and when I tried to
> > turn it on, that's what I got. I've since moved, hooked it back up and
> > still have the same problem.
> >
> > Anyone have ideas about what might be wrong with it? It's the only SS
> > machine I own as everything else is EM so this is definitely out of my
> > comfort zone as far as trouble shooting goes.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
> >
> > Dave

There is a whole section on the 7th flash and what to do if it
does not occur at the end of this section:
http://marvin3m.com/bally/index2.htm#flash
I suggest you read up on it.

dave wrote:
> When I turn the machine on the LED blinks 6 times and then stops (I believe
> it normally blinks 7 times before booting). I cannot access the self-test
> mode via the button on the coin door. I hadn't played the machine for a
> week or two (we were getting ready to move, no time) and when I tried to
> turn it on, that's what I got. I've since moved, hooked it back up and I
> still have the same problem.
>
> Anyone have ideas about what might be wrong with it? It's the only SS
> machine I own as everything else is EM so this is definitely out of my
> comfort zone as far as trouble shooting goes.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
>
> Dave

If you have coil voltage (43vdc) at the rectifier board and throughout the
game yet still no 7th flash, then time to look on the MPU board. The coil
voltage goes into connector J4 on the MPU board, then through an inductor or
2 if I recall and then through a resistor to reduce it's voltage/current,
then on to the zero-crossing detector circuitry. A very common failure
point in this circuit is the resistor that this voltage has to go through on
it's way to the zero-crossing circuitry- often overheats and opens up. May
be visibly obvious on your board.

Grab your game manual/schematics and trace the circuit of the coil power
going onto the MPU board and see if/where voltage is getting through- that
may yield more clues.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

> Buehler...Buehler...
>
> Someone must have another idea for me to try...
>
> Thanks.
>
> "dave" <egyptrus@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Ok, I checked the fuse at f4 and it's fine. I also had a friend who's
> > better versed in electronics come over and give me a hand checking to
make
> > sure we had voltage across F4, which we do.
> >
> > We also checked the various TP connectors and all of them had the proper
> > voltage.
> >
> > So, if the fuse is good and the power is good, what's left to check when
> you
> > don't get the 7th blink? Following the information on Marvin's site I
> > checked the resistors and they seemed right as well.
> >
> > I think the final thing it indicated might be a problem is U7. I don't
> > really know how to check that to make sure it's good so now I'm back to
> the
> > group to see if there's any more advice.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help, I appreciate it.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > "dave" <egyptrus@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > > When I turn the machine on the LED blinks 6 times and then stops (I
> > believe
> > > it normally blinks 7 times before booting). I cannot access the
> self-test
> > > mode via the button on the coin door. I hadn't played the machine for
> > > week or two (we were getting ready to move, no time) and when I tried
> > > turn it on, that's what I got. I've since moved, hooked it back up
and
> > > still have the same problem.
> > >
> > > Anyone have ideas about what might be wrong with it? It's the only SS
> > > machine I own as everything else is EM so this is definitely out of my
> > > comfort zone as far as trouble shooting goes.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
> > >
> > > Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I did...and I tried everything that it said to try and it still doesn't
work. I'm the first to admit that I don't know much about how to check
electronics but I had help and everything appears to be correct (obviously
it isn't) so I'm back asking for additional help.

<cfh@provide.net> wrote in message
> There is a whole section on the 7th flash and what to do if it
> does not occur at the end of this section:
> http://marvin3m.com/bally/index2.htm#flash
> I suggest you read up on it.
>
> dave wrote:
> > When I turn the machine on the LED blinks 6 times and then stops (I
believe
> > it normally blinks 7 times before booting). I cannot access the
self-test
> > mode via the button on the coin door. I hadn't played the machine for a
> > week or two (we were getting ready to move, no time) and when I tried to
> > turn it on, that's what I got. I've since moved, hooked it back up and
> > still have the same problem.
> >
> > Anyone have ideas about what might be wrong with it? It's the only SS
> > machine I own as everything else is EM so this is definitely out of my
> > comfort zone as far as trouble shooting goes.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
> >
> > Dave

Dave you cant check resistors like that in circuit. you have to remove
them from the board then check them. Or at least remove one side.

Why???

--
Fred
TX

<mikep28@omuonline.net> wrote in message news:1122075009.668376.54880@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Dave you cant check resistors like that in circuit. you have to remove
> them from the board then check them. Or at least remove one side.

No you could also have multiple resitors in that circuit. Could be
reading resiatnce through an IC or hell could be anything. it doesnt
neccessarily read the smallest resitor. It could be multiple resistors
in parallel that its reading.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I spoke to another "electronics enabled" friend last night and he told me
the same thing. I believe the reason you can't check them on the board is
that the electricity will take the path of least resistance and you'll get a
reading equivalent to the lowest rated resistor in the circuit. Apparently,
there must be a 5k resistor in that circuit because that's what I'm getting.

To review, I'm not getting the 7th flash on the board and I've tried all of
the things suggested in the Marvin document. I believe that I have
appropriate power to the board based on the checks I've done. It would
appear as though it's something on the board (MPU).

There was something in Marvin's doc about jumpering R17 to R23 (I think
that's what it was) in order to fool the board into thinking that you had
the power you needed. I tried it and it didn't work either.

Any other ideas before I start asking for recommendations on who to send the
board to for them to look at and possibly repair?

Thanks

Dave